Notices

VOX HD2 data rate and SD Card sizes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:08 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default VOX HD2 data rate and SD Card sizes

Considering VBOX HD2 and estimating needed SD cards (or USB storage).
Can someone provide an idea of data rate/storage requirements?
For instance, how large a file(s) is produced by a typical 20min DE run.

We will be running dual drivers, so that's 4 sessions/day-driver * 2 drivers * 2 days = 16 total sessions. I imagine we will swap cards with drivers with one card always in the computer and one always in the car until day end.

I note the spec for the HD2 says 128Gb cards max.

We can either use SD cards or USB sticks with the VBOX USB adapter cable.

My laptop (macbook) native SD port only reads at 100MB/s max, so if files sizes are large and I want to read in the files more quickly (to fast SSD internal), I might want to consider an external UHS-II reader and/or use higher speed USB sticks instead of SD.

Thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,669 Posts

The bitrate of recording can be set at three levels, high, medium and low. I usually use high.

Equates to: 16Mb/s (high); 12Mb/s (medium); 6Mb/s (low)

Record time is approximately (depending on CAN data, too) 7.2GB per hour (high); 5.4GB per hour (medium); 3.5GB per hour (low).

I recommend these cards:
Amazon Amazon
, although the included 32GB card is a good one.

I can download a session file in seconds from this card on my MacBook Air or new MBP tB using a Satechi adapter. Obviously both use SSD's, the new MBP is very, very fast.

I do not recommend USB sticks except for endurance racing and ride and drive programs. Extra cables and potential for user error.

IF you use greater than 32 GB cards, you WILL have recording and formatting issues, unless you use disk utility or some other way to reformat the cars back to FAT32. A 32 GB card will allow four hours at the highest bit rate.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I'm going to partially answer my own questions. Just found this page which quotes 7Gb/hr for the highest bitrate. That's approximately 2.3Gb for a 20min session; let's round up to 3Gb with pit out/in - likely not that much.

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot..._-_HD2_Logging

So, for the weekend's 16 sessions, that's 48Gb over 2 cards or 24Gb/card. Seems like 64Gb storage per card (2 cards) would suffice with plenty of spare space (just in case the laptops down or I otherwise can't transfer files off the card, add a day, need to retain some old files, etc.).

As for transfer speed, using my laptops native SD slot at 100Mb/sec; a session would transfer in about 25 seconds. Perfectly reasonable. I could use USB sticks or faster SD cards with an external reader to bring the xfer down to 8 seconds, but this hardly seems worth it.

Seems reasonable?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I'm going to partially answer my own questions. Just found this page which quotes 7Gb/hr for the highest bitrate. That's approximately 2.3Gb for a 20min session; let's round up to 3Gb with pit out/in - likely not that much.

https://racelogic.support/02VBOX_Mot..._-_HD2_Logging

So, for the weekend's 16 sessions, that's 48Gb over 2 cards or 24Gb/card. Seems like 64Gb storage per card (2 cards) would suffice with plenty of spare space (just in case the laptops down or I otherwise can't transfer files off the card, add a day, need to retain some old files, etc.).

As for transfer speed, using my laptops native SD slot at 100Mb/sec; a session would transfer in about 25 seconds. Perfectly reasonable. I could use USB sticks or faster SD cards with an external reader to bring the xfer down to 8 seconds, but this hardly seems worth it.

Seems reasonable?
Yes.

Again, you MUST reformat cards and sticks greater than 32 GB in capacity in FAT 32 or you will NOT get a recording. This is true for SmartyCam's, VBOX's, MoTeC V2's and every other camera I know that renders information to the video, real-time.

Typically, you will set up the HD2 to start recording above a trigger speed greater than going to the grid or coming back into the paddock, and we ALL know a twenty-minute session is about 14-16 minutes green flag time, so you won't have your projected max file sizes for runs.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

No problem reformatting using disk utility. However, those 32Gb cards you linked to are so inexpensive, might as well just get a bunch to start and see how it goes.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I just have extensive experience with a wide variety of card makes, speeds, classes and OEM/retail differences (whew!) in a variety of cameras and data recorders. It's so important that I include these cards in every new piece of equipment I sell. Cuts WAY down on the support calls.

Also, they "offload" the video SO fast, compared to slower cards, that when I am working multi car teams (and I often have a SmartyCam x 2 PLUS a VBOX HD2 in each of the cars), it really makes a difference.

I do have new HD2 stock here with your name on it... <grin> March 1st, you said? <very big grin> If you're going to be at Lime Rock April 21-22 or May 5-6, be glad to help you with it!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I do have new HD2 stock here with your name on it... <grin> March 1st, you said? <very big grin> If you're going to be at Lime Rock April 21-22 or May 5-6, be glad to help you with it!
Give me another week or two - car still in storage up here - have to retrieve it (although snow forecast for next week!). Lots to do pre-season.

I'm not at those events. I'm at Palmer (4/29-30); Thompson (5/27-28); Limerock (6/26-27), WGI (8/11-13), NHMS(10/9-10). Let me know if you're traveling to any of those.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Might do WGI. Conflicts on most others. Keep me posted!
Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

For cards, I always suggest having a few and to make sure they will record a whole day's activity (or more). That way you don't have to remember to change it out in between sessions. This makes your day go much easier when everything happens automatically.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

20-25 min session will write two ~2GB files at highest quality setting in my experience - though I think racelogic is working on other formats with higher frame rates, so in the future I guess that could change. Racelogic stuff is really finicky with SD cards and formats. I've had good luck with Samsung cards. Sandisk seems to be hit or miss, especially the mini-SD cards in adapters. More trouble than needed, and did not get better on the HD2 vs. the Lite.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Perhaps I use 64Gbs and Peter recommends the Transcends. I'll have to format with Disk Utility to FAT32.

I have felt the pain of capability before with my GoPro. Took a few tries to realize the recommended cards work; others are best of luck. Amazing we have such issues from a 'standard' interface that is already many generations old.

db
Old 03-08-2017, 01:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've had no luck in AiM, Race-Keeper, VBOX, or other SD native systems using mSD in adapters in the camera.

Nor have I had much success with Patriot, Sandisk or other OEM (white box, non-retail) SD cards.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've had no luck in AiM, Race-Keeper, VBOX, or other SD native systems using mSD in adapters in the camera.

Nor have I had much success with Patriot, Sandisk or other OEM (white box, non-retail) SD cards.
Interesting. I've had no problem with mSD adapters and have great luck with Sandisk cards and adapters. The only problem I've had with adapters is as they age the write lock tab gets loose and will slide back, write protecting the card. In my case with me I have 4 Sandisk mSD (64 GB), 1 Samsung mSD(16 GB), and 4 Transcend SD (4-8 GB). I can't remember what brand are in the trailer, but that is another ~16 cards.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Interesting. I've had no problem with mSD adapters and have great luck with Sandisk cards and adapters.
I can't find it now, but there was a technical bulletin I got from Josh advising against the use of mSD adapters in the then new SmartyCam HD. If you have no problems, rock on!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:09 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Given that VBOX has a USB option (albeit a little more complex and expensive setup), I wonder if that interface is more media independent than SD?

Quick Reply: VOX HD2 data rate and SD Card sizes