Notices

Is there a good tutorial for Motec i2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Is there a good tutorial for Motec i2?

i know there are webinars, and am trying to watch those when i have access to the web. however, there are times i can try to work with my data but don't have access. if i get stuck, i have no quick reference to unf*ck myself. was wonding if there is a book or some printable reference material?
my questions are more about how to manipulate i2 than actual data analysis ones. when i first got my motec, i bought a PC that had windows 8 that held me back so much from progressing with learning how to operate i2, that i sold it and now have a PC i know how to use. any suggestions are appreciated. the last time interpreters user manual was updated was '04.......
Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

One of the easiest tutorials is for sim racers using MoTeC. I understand the guide needs to be for how to navigate i2, as opposed to data analysis in i2, which is why the tutorials for arranging data sysnthetically generated by a simulation (like iRacing or GTR2) is perfectly adequate for learning IRL (in real life).

I'm about to do a few short videos myself as I'm doing more and more MoTeC sales.

This is one of the best. i2 has been updated, so the GUI is slightly different, but this is terrific! http://blackadder.proboards.com/thre...setup-tutorial

Nice basic walkthrough of worksheets: http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32733

The FSAE videos are good and I'll post some PDF's that might be helpful in a few days.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear your pain. It's a struggle for a beginner who only uses it 8-10 times a year to be able to do anything quickly and easily. Repetition is the best way to get comfortable. When I was starting I had a few hours with a MoTeC guru (Dave Ferguson of Veracity Racing Data) and he showed me a lot about how to use it, what to look for and even provided a number of math channels to help in the analysis. (We didn't have a plethora of YouTube videos 10 years ago.) If you have a local coach that knows MoTeC, it will be money well spent.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:49 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

TomW, one of the resources MoTeC offers is East and West Coast classes. They're generally twice a year near LA and Charlotte. As a dealer, I'm required to go, and in the beginning (2009, for me, as a dealer) they were VERY helpful.

Also, they'll send a support engineer out to you at your shop or track for a reasonable fee for your individual effort. I can afford to spend my time focused on learning the intricacies of the system and software as part of my business, but for others with a steep learning curve, (and especially ex-pro cars with multiple MoTeC systems, ECU, PDM, Logger, display options), this can help.

Like AiM (albeit on massive steroids), the curve is steep, especially upon initial configuration of BOTH the hardware and software, but ultimately the power, sheer number and detail of the potential in configuration make MoTeC unmatched for whatever level you desire.

There are some good tutorials on the MoTeC site itself and that's where I'd go first.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:29 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bull_D, do we know each other (Colorado). PCA? Anyway, you can PM me if you like and I can share what I know. I learned in two ways...one) natural curiosity and digging into i2 Pro relentlessly. Two) I read Jorge Segers book that defines a lot of math channels/equations. It is my reference book.

I have not raced in over a year and had to re-aquaint myself with i2 and my many sheets for a few hours.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

For MoTeC training, I would suggest talking to Chris Brown. He was a MoTeC employee and has done much of their training. He is a great resource, has extreme knowledge of i2, and is a great guy. Check his website out at http://squigglylines.com/consulting/

For math channel help, Bob Knox's book is great because it has the math channels he uses in an appendix.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM
tedean
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
For MoTeC training, I would suggest talking to Chris Brown. He was a MoTeC employee and has done much of their training. He is a great resource, has extreme knowledge of i2, and is a great guy. Check his website out at http://squigglylines.com/consulting/

For math channel help, Bob Knox's book is great because it has the math channels he uses in an appendix.
Hey Matt, would the Bob Knox's book complement Segers book, or is it all covered in Segers book.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Tommy, it's much more practical than the Segers book.

Let's just put it this way. I use Jorge's book between events to arrange information for detailed study and to construct worksheets for specific tasks. I look at it over the winter, over the summer break and in the fall break.

I TAKE Bob's book with me to the track... ALL the time. And have been for awhile.

I'll add that the more I do this, the more ways I find to measure the same thing different ways, or measure NEW things. Multiple perspectives and validations are CRUCIAL for not being led to misleading conclusions.

So, for folks starting out, from the basic to intermediate levels, not specific to systems (although biased towards MoTeC, naturally), Chris Brown's book first and Roger Caddell's AiM (no matter what system you use) and Mazda Racer's video series.

For those already clicking around and pretty familiar with simple measures, pretty much running out of the basic things to do, I recommend Knox's book and John Block's Intro webinars.

For those well beyond the basics, who are comfortable with spreasheets and a more complete sensor array on their or their team cars, I recommend Segers' book and John Block's Advanced webinars.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM
tedean
Racer

Ordered! Thanks guys.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by tedean
Hey Matt, would the Bob Knox's book complement Segers book, or is it all covered in Segers book. https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Gui.../dp/1456587919
I think Bob's book is very good. It does a good job of laying out what to look for and then gives you the how with the math channels for it in the appendix. He also lays out a good routine for going through your data. I think it's a solid complement to Jorge's book and worthy of a ready. You'll certainly get a $100 worth of knowledge from it.

Quick Reply: Is there a good tutorial for Motec i2?