Notices

Aim brake pressure sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:43 PM
phantom_9192
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aim brake pressure sensor question

I've been using AIM for a long time but just recently got around to putting in a couple of brake pressure sensors.
Unfortunately I can't seem to find any way to 'zero' them at no brake pressure. As such, one sensor reads around -23 and the other around +12 at no pressure. I can semi-adjust this out via math channels but there should be (in my opinion) a way to zero this without having to go in and redefine the curves for the sensors or do it in analysis (math channel).
Any ideas?
Thanks!
RacerX
Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Manual calibration

Linear sensor
Make sure car is on when you do it
Take volts at no bps and again at max
Put those in and you are good
Old 02-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

There is not a zero function for pressure sensors. Which sensors do you have? Some of the ones in the past were more prone to showing this sort of static pressure offset. The newer KA sensors are much better about this.

The easiest correction is to make a custom sensor with the zero value offset. Most of the pressure sensors are .5 volts at 0 pressure and 4.5 volts at full pressure. What you can then do is make the .5 volts 21 psi and the 4.5 volts full pressure.

In the end for brake pressure, what you are looking at the is the shape of the curves and when they start, not the exact values. You will look at the values relative to each other, but the offset from the start is not really a problem.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There is not a zero function for pressure sensors. Which sensors do you have? Some of the ones in the past were more prone to showing this sort of static pressure offset. The newer KA sensors are much better about this.

The easiest correction is to make a custom sensor with the zero value offset. Most of the pressure sensors are .5 volts at 0 pressure and 4.5 volts at full pressure. What you can then do is make the .5 volts 21 psi and the 4.5 volts full pressure.

In the end for brake pressure, what you are looking at the is the shape of the curves and when they start, not the exact values. You will look at the values relative to each other, but the offset from the start is not really a problem.
+1 I found the same situation that off brake pressure is negative valve output from one of the new brake pressure sensors. The shape of the curve tells the story and comparing one run relative to others is what you are looking for. Use the shape of the curve to analyze the good and what needs correcting in braking at that corner. GOOGLE for how to interpret the shape of the curve, y axis vs x axis plot

Quick Reply: Aim brake pressure sensor question