Notices

Rear view camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:11 PM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear view camera

Does anyone know if the trick rear view camera system the new RSR is sporting is available to the public?

I watched a fair amount of in car coverage of the #911 and 912 during the Rolex 24 and saw some impressive features from that system.

I need to install a rear view camera on my car so why not consider all available options.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Two choices.

Cheap and easy VDO brand, will post the part number later but available from JEGS for ~$350, or...

The Bosch/P&M developed system you see in IMSA and LeMans. ~$10K
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2017, 07:10 PM
dogger15
Racer

Thanks for the info. With the name you supplied I was able to dig a little deeper to discover it's a combo camera and radar system and the price starts at 10K for basic and goes past 20K for the features (target tracking, etc.), that I saw on the in car coverage.

IMO, a very beneficial system for a car with no rearward visibility (RSR), or any race where there is wildly disparate speeds between the various classes. For my purposes, probably more than I want to spend for a cool gadget.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If you want one, I'd be glad to supply...
Old 02-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I thought the Bosch camera setups had to go through an authorized Bosch dealer?
Old 02-04-2017, 10:59 PM
dogger15
Racer

My interest is piqued.

What do you get for $10k?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:32 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a hole in your wallet?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not need to spend $10k.....

I used a Drone Camera on the rear of my NP01 with a 7" display in the cockpit. It was OK. The camera was good, the monitor sucked (hard to see/ glares/ not bright enough). The only way to really do it is to pay ~$400 for a 1000 NIT daylight visible display. Those work great (another car had it). I removed my cheap monitor and will replace it with a 1000nit display later. The mirrors have been working fine

You can "mirror" the image on the monitor or on the camera so the video is displayed correctly like a rearview mirror.

This is a great monitor I need to buy.
https://www.xenarcdirect.com/702CSH.html

Cheap monitor that I removed.
Name:  YnbVGGVl.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  53.5 KB
Old 02-05-2017, 02:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, that cheap VDO works great and the display works well in a brightly lit cockpit. Chad's issue is a little tougher because the expansive windscreen used on the NPT-01. Would not be as much of an issue on a closed production car, especially with a little hood overhang on the top.

It's like a rear view mirror. You're just looking for movement, not taking the time for target acquisition...
Old 02-05-2017, 02:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

http://www.jegs.com/i/VDO/918/A2C59519819/10002/-1

$365 7" high brightness screen, single low profile camera. Tried and tested in over two dozen cars in SCCA, NASA, Historics and World Challenge, that I know of...
Old 02-05-2017, 02:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you switch to cameras the physical location of the "mirror" is no longer important. I wonder if someone studied what the best place would be to put one of those monitors in the cockpit.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM
dogger15
Racer

I used a Drone Camera on the rear of my NP01 with a 7" display in the cockpit. It was OK. The camera was good, the monitor sucked (hard to see/ glares/ not bright enough). The only way to really do it is to pay ~$400 for a 1000 NIT daylight visible display. Those work great (another car had it). I removed my cheap monitor and will replace it with a 1000nit display later. The mirrors have been working fine
Looks like a very good system especially with the improved monitor, and all I would need for my purposes.

I wonder if someone studied what the best place would be to put one of those monitors in the cockpit.
From what I've seen, most have the monitor mounted above or just to the Right of the center switch panel on Left side driver cars.

It's like a rear view mirror. You're just looking for movement, not taking the time for target acquisition...
Not target acquisition per se, but any device that improves situational awareness, especially in crap conditions is a bennie. Unfortunately, it appears this tech is still in it's infancy and the price of admission is steep. Unless you have no rearward vision or are competing in multi-class racing with big speed differentials, the price makes this more of a "look what I have" instead of a must have. Still, it would be a cool gadget if one could cobble together a package for less money. Since this is a by product of tech being developed and employed on production vehicles, I'm sure the cost will drop to some extent in the near future.

Here are some pictures I found showing the system at work and a picture of the system components. Each "target" gets a feather which changes shape and color as the target gets closer. As the car moves to pass, the system indicates which side:

Name:  watch-corvette-racings-new-collision-avoidance-system-video-56849_1_zpssvj36sxn.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  174.8 KB

Name:  pratt-miller-racing-radar_zpshneeffna.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  carfig1.ext-1309vsd_zpsas0vfocu.jpg
Views: 1880
Size:  6.8 KB

Corvette racing cut some holes in the back cover and mounted it there, I didn't get a close enough look at the RSR to see where Porsche put it. I'm thinking the spot shown in this picture where a straight up camera is mounted is the most likely place:

Name:  gallery-1480433286-cp4i4028_zpsobvampku.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  maxresdefault_zpsexauniuw.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  127.9 KB
Old 09-29-2019, 05:13 PM
shindul
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please give me info on the drone camera and how it was connected. I'm currently using the 1000 nit display with a Gopro. The Gopro is giving ma a connection issue and cuts in and out. Thanks for your help

Originally Posted by Plavan
You do not need to spend $10k.....

You can "mirror" the image on the monitor or on the camera so the video is displayed correctly like a rearview mirror.

This is a great monitor I need to buy.
https://www.xenarcdirect.com/702CSH.html

Cheap monitor that I removed.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:21 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Something to note (especially before you drop 10 large...). Many who enjoy cars can afford it because they are (ahem) ...mature. One thing that often comes with "maturity" is farsightedness. It is often not an issue - you need to see apexes perfectly to hit your marks, but it typically does not make much difference if the car's gauge needles are a little blurry.

When you look at the apex 50 meters ahead, then glance at your mirror at the car 50 meters behind, both are in perfect focus because your eyes are focused 50 meters out.

If you are looking at a rear view video screen 12 inches away from your eyes, you need to focus 12 inches away. Both the ability to focus close-in, and the speed with which your eyes re-focus degrades with age. If you wear reading glasses, before going all in on a rear view video system, I suggest you find one you can try for trip around the block...
Old 10-06-2019, 06:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The purpose of those proximity based rear view systems is to alert range and side the approaching car(s) are. Color coded arrow icons help with closing speed estimation (green/yellow/red)

Like rear view mirrors, focusing in to identify exactly what follows is NOT the objective.

Noting movement and, in the case of the Bosch system, large arrow icons and the side of the display they're shown, is all a majority of top-level drivers are looking for.

Quick Reply: Rear view camera