Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It is the simplest, easiest (and most cost effective, especially if you have Standard logging only enabled) solution to add to MoTeC display/loggers from the ADL2 product on.
Priced at $2,000?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Priced at $2,000?
See post above, but to your question, there are four video solutions I sell for MoTeC users.

While I did sell ChaseCams as a dealer MANY years ago, I never sold the MoTeC VCS or the VCS-HD because they were relatively complicated to configure, had multiple modules and the HD solution was high at $3100.

One of the solutions I have provided for MoTeC users up to this point is the AiM SmartyCam HD. With the accessories required to make this work (ECU Bridge, GPS-08B antenna, VSM and harness), you're looking at about $1600.

MoTeC requires the Pro Logging option to be enabled to pull in any non-MoTeC hardware produced video file into i2 Analysis, and even 997.1 and 997.2 Cup cars did not, as supplied, come equipped with that option enabled. Add between $852 to $1427 for the unlock code depending on the less expensive loggers to the more expensive loggers and pretty soon you're talking the same price as for a VCS-HD alone!

Enter the V2. Harness included, software included and mount included, nothing more needed. No Pro Logging unlock code required, completely automated and very compact, for $1990. Auto syncs more than one side-by-side lap IN the analysis (squiggly lines) window, too. I've sold several, and everyone is very pleased.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You gotta love vendor lock-in in motorsports.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's how MoTeC and many other technologies have built their economic model.

Pay for hardware, then pay for logging capability, then pay for analog i/o enable, then pay for Pro Logging enable, then pay for Advanced Math enable.

They've been in the game a long time and they have a large share of the US pro racing and high end club racing market. For good reason...

I see no reason why they shouldn't offer more functionality for their accessories than third party ones.

That's why I like offering many different lines of this equipment. It's not a one-size-fits-all business...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah but some companies are worse than others imo.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished the install and setup. A HUGE thank you to Peter for his outstanding support throughout the process. Customer service...it is nice to see and be a part of.
The V2 is as advertised, plug and play. Yes, I had to tie it into the CAN Bus on my aging ADL2, however MoTeC is so reliable it is worth the effort. I will give it the real test at COTA next week.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So glad to hear. Because of our experience together, along with the excellent support from MoTeC East, I've sold a few more to some prototype and GT car users. It's excellent, indeed.

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck at COTA!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 PM
pucky
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if there is a way to create our own overlays? I'm looking at the .dat files in the osd directory but don't know what format these are.

Would love it it if we could make our own and share.

Cheers,
Pucky
Old 02-25-2017, 11:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pucky
Anyone know if there is a way to create our own overlays? I'm looking at the .dat files in the osd directory but don't know what format these are.

Would love it it if we could make our own and share.

Cheers,
Pucky
Not yet but hopefully soon. Updates to the V2 software and firmware, most likely. It has not been out long. Will find out next weekend.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Just got my V2. Very cool piece. Wish you could customize the channels the start'stop trigger off of (e.e would like to trigger off my "Logging_on" channel so the log and video always records at the same point).
Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 38D
Just got my V2. Very cool piece. Wish you could customize the channels the start'stop trigger off of (e.e would like to trigger off my "Logging_on" channel so the log and video always records at the same point).
I think you can make a start condition in your dash config for that.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

PCA's Carrera of the Americas at CotA was my first experience with my complete MoTeC set-up including video. Our team had 2 cars there with identical hardware. This made it very easy on our coach. And it was fantastic to contrast and compare between the 2 drivers & cars. Especially since both were GT4s. I give it a big thumbs up!

I'll be sure to post up a few laps on YouTube once I get back from Shanghai.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:04 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 987 Posts

I see the V2 comes with a 32GB SD card. I have several 128GB SD cards. Will the V2 accept a higher memory card? It's not very clear from the Motec website but it almost seems that 32GB is the largest you can use but I don't see why it would be limited.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I see the V2 comes with a 32GB SD card. I have several 128GB SD cards. Will the V2 accept a higher memory card? It's not very clear from the Motec website but it almost seems that 32GB is the largest you can use but I don't see why it would be limited.
Well, the technical limitation is formatting, the same as with other cameras with a GPU/CPU and native OS, those that don't simply record video but render digital information onto the video real-time. The V2, VBOX HD2 and SmartyCam HD all have this formatting limitation. Cards must be formatted to FAT32, not the format cards LARGER than 32 GB natively come with.

Second, the allocation of space, the ability to overwrite existing video ("loop" recording, which the V2 will do) and other factors lead to this limitation.

There are workarounds, of course. Cards larger than 32 GB can be reformatted using Apples Disk Utility and in third party applications under Windows.

Ill find out from MoTeC, but I think it will take larger, correctly formatted cards. And firmware updates are coming to improve all this and add display options for data on the video.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Well, the technical limitation is formatting, the same as with other cameras with a GPU/CPU and native OS, those that don't simply record video but render digital information onto the video real-time. The V2, VBOX HD2 and SmartyCam HD all have this formatting limitation. Cards must be formatted to FAT32, not the format cards LARGER than 32 GB natively come with.

Second, the allocation of space, the ability to overwrite existing video ("loop" recording, which the V2 will do) and other factors lead to this limitation.

There are workarounds, of course. Cards larger than 32 GB can be reformatted using Apples Disk Utility and in third party applications under Windows.

Ill find out from MoTeC, but I think it will take larger, correctly formatted cards. And firmware updates are coming to improve all this and add display options for data on the video.
Thank you. Great, please let me know. The reason I asked is that I'm using 128GB with the SmartyCam HD without issues but wondered if I can use the same card with The V2.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MoTeC V2 Video unboxing