Notices

AIM Fuel Milage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It could be done, but I can forsee their might be accuracy problems if you're trying to do it by the lap. How much fuel do you use? How large of a change does the ICM show? Track length?

Most times people calculate fuel burn by looking at injector flow and open time.
I didn't think about time in the staging area where i idled for 5-10 mins either. I have a test day before the next race. Do you recommend i drain, then load maybe 5 gals, reset OD and then drain after the session?

I have no way to get injector flow as i'm in a spec series with sealed ECU and no aftermarket options. Get what i get.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Pump out is the most accurate method. Your dash (MXL2, MXS, MXG) has multiple odometers included in it. They are all accessible on the display and in RS3 when connected. You can reset them as well.

If you just want total distance for the session, then you can get that in FT very easily (see the screen shot). You could also make a math channel for it and look in a channel report.

I'm pretty sure you could do a math channel for the fuel consumption. If you wanted it for a session, it should work pretty well (as long as the fuel level is accurate). On a single lap basis, it might be tough if the fuel used isn't very large per lap (i.e. burns .25 gallons per lap). The resolution of the level sender would be very important.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Screen shot
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Thanks Matt, very helpful!

I don't have any fuel mileage data for my car at COTA so i'll be doing the dump and measure method at the next COTA test day. I'm just getting used to this MXL2. Am i correct that i there's a way to have the data write to a card so i can swap cards during a stop? I'm going to do that for the SCHD as well after cloning a few cards.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj

I don't have any fuel mileage data for my car at COTA so i'll be doing the dump and measure method at the next COTA test day. I'm just getting used to this MXL2. Am i correct that i there's a way to have the data write to a card so i can swap cards during a stop? I'm going to do that for the SCHD as well after cloning a few cards.
No need to clone.

Yes, there is a memory card module available. I have them in stock if you interested.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No need to clone.

Yes, there is a memory card module available. I have them in stock if you interested.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume you want to calculate how many laps you can do before fueling. I'd look at a couple sessions and see how many gallons you use and the number of laps. After a few runs you should have a good idea of fuel used per lap. This is different for each track so looking at MPG is not as good as gal/lap
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
I assume you want to calculate how many laps you can do before fueling. I'd look at a couple sessions and see how many gallons you use and the number of laps. After a few runs you should have a good idea of fuel used per lap. This is different for each track so looking at MPG is not as good as gal/lap
^^THIS^^
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

I need to figure out a math channel that i can input track length in feet/miles that will look at available fuel and give me a lap countdown to empty. That would be cool and even though it won't be perfect it would be helpful nonetheless.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I need to figure out a math channel that i can input track length in feet/miles that will look at available fuel and give me a lap countdown to empty. That would be cool and even though it won't be perfect it would be helpful nonetheless.
You would first have to measure and calculate the burn rate. And you would have to do it for each track. If that's not enough, there is some significant difference between drivers in multi-car teams based on full throttle time over the course of a lap.

This calculation is super helpful for serious endurance racers, for sure. That's why the MoTeC solution is what I recommend for folks that need this information with the greatest accuracy, repeatability and configuration ease.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: AIM Fuel Milage