Notices

Next step AFTER Harry's

Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Next step AFTER Harry's

For those of us who are using Harry's lap timer, and post synching up video from a go pro - what's the best next step up for an integrated video and data recording device? To go from Harry's at $19 to a dedicated timer system at $800 is quite the jump. feedback please.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

IMO, Garmin ViRB, about $400, IIRC.

Video quality will suffer rendering data ON the video, but this is in your price range and it's tested, proven and supported.

I am using Waylens, myself. Between $450-$500 with mounts and OBDII dongle. Excellent video quality, great, visible metrics on top of the video, nice packaging.

Next step beyond that is the SmartyCam standalone, about $1245 with everything you need, then comes the least expensive 2-camera standard def system with auto synced video and data, Mac OS and iOS compatible, at $1500.

From there on, it quickly rises to $1699, $1800, $1990, $2780 and $3080 for a variety of options across four companies, AiM, Racelogic, MoTeC and Race-Keeper.

About 20% of my customers are former HLT users...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-01-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

This is extremely helpful. Clear, descriptive, and concise.

Thank you Peter.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My pleasure. Let me know if I can help.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:09 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If improving your driving is the goal, Video VBox Lite with OLED. Best bang for the buck IMHO. Requires a bit of savvy to use but well worth the learning curve.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's the $1800 option listed above, reduced from $2100 a few months ago.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Ya, it's crazy expensive compared to the $275 I invested in Harry's. It's also probably the single best upgrade I've done. But who am I to start preaching to the choir?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:59 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I like AIM SmartyCam. No data or video to sync up, and it works really well.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The AiM SmartyCam and the Video VBOX are the only two that render (overlay, real-time) data and information (speed, g's, times, lap count and some driver inputs like steering, throttle and brakes) ONTO the video itself, ready to play 30 seconds after you get into the paddock.

The Solo DL/SmartyCam HD combination with mounts costs within $22 of the Video VBOX Lite standard def 2-camera system and they BOTH cost $300 less than I used to sell the Traqmate Complete with a ChaseCam PDR-100, eight or ten years ago, back in the day! Amazing...

While the market penetration of the AiM is deep (sold three of those combinations this week), when I work with private clients, I use VBOX HD or HD2's in every client's car... the automated, auto synced nature of the video and data, plus the side by side justified to GPS position (instead of time or distance) is a godsend.

Time is just too valuable at the track to waste it...
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 177mph
For those of us who are using Harry's lap timer, and post synching up video from a go pro - what's the best next step up for an integrated video and data recording device? To go from Harry's at $19 to a dedicated timer system at $800 is quite the jump. feedback please.
Harry's worked for abt 24 mo. Next step was AIMSoloDL and SmartyCamHD and I've not looked back.

My vendor was Peter K "ProCoach" who provided home delivery, free software, a ProCoach high intensity tutorial was gratis. Can't go wrong with Krause and Assoc.

$1700 and worth every penny.
The following users liked this post:
LagunaFanatic (09-15-2019)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Geneman
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

and the Aim system starts itself as soon as you are mobile.... (motile as we in science say) . you cannot put a price tag on this.....never one of those "forgot to push the button moments"
Old 12-01-2016, 09:54 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Going through this same transition myself, one has to think about data recording and video overlay separately. HLT and a gopro (and ODB and ext GPS) give you both data and video with data overlay (once one uses race render, etc.). What you don't have is a turnkey reliable solution. There are steps along the way beyond this that Peter has outlined, but many of these steps give you effectively less functionality than a HLT setup (of course more reliable though). To truly get everything HLT has to offer, but reliable and quick, you need to go all the way.

E.g., a few of the steps Peter mentioned along the way (like a smartycam, or Garmin or Waylens) give you data overlay on video, but NOT separate data. Thus, no squiggly line analysis.

I view a next step up from HLT as a SoloDL plus a GoPro (or other cam). This way you have very well integrated data logging, high speed GPS, ECU interface and the ability to separately overlay data on the recorded GoPro video using RR after the fact (and too slow for the paddocks). Unfortunately, you don't have GoPro camera control, but you do upgrade many of the problematic parts of HLT. You also get a bullet proof data logger. Unfortunately, you don't get any viable upgrade path to synced video without some heavy lifting using RR, etc.

Thus, as crazy as it sounds, I've concluded that to fix all the issues with HLT and get video with data overlay that is quickly accessible after a run, it's VBOX at $2k for low def and $3k for high def.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Going through this same transition myself, one has to think about data recording and video overlay separately. HLT and a gopro (and ODB and ext GPS) give you both data and video with data overlay (once one uses race render, etc.). What you don't have is a turnkey reliable solution.

E.g., a few of the steps Peter mentioned along the way (like a smartycam, or Garmin or Waylens) give you data overlay on video, but NOT separate data. Thus, no squiggly line analysis.

I view a next step up from HLT as a SoloDL plus a GoPro (or other cam). This way you have very well integrated data logging, high speed GPS, ECU interface and the ability to separately overlay data on the recorded GoPro video using RR after the fact (and too slow for the paddocks).

Thus, as crazy as it sounds, I've concluded that to fix all the issues with HLT and get video with data overlay that is quickly accessible after a run, it's VBOX at $2k for low def and $3k for high def.
I agree with your train of thought and synopsis, but curious as to your read on the Solo DL/SmartyCam HD combo, vis a vis the others? Automated off and on, power supply, data written to the video real-time, just no coordination between the data (squiggly lines) and the "intelligent' video?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I agree with your train of thought and synopsis, but curious as to your read on the Solo DL/SmartyCam HD combo, vis a vis the others? Automated off and on, power supply, data written to the video real-time, just no coordination between the data (squiggly lines) and the "intelligent' video?
I agree with you. The point I was trying to make was that going from an HLT setup to a data overlay camera without logging (say just a SmartyCam or a Garmin) is in some ways a step down as I think not having data logging (i.e., squiggly lines!) really compromises one's ability to quickly diagnose a lap. You do get instant data overlay video, but it is time consuming to diagnose a lap with just such a video and no data to separately review.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Ok. The Solo DL would satisfy your need for high sample rate data, ECU connectivity, definitely more drill-down capability in arranging and displaying the data than Circuit Tools 2, while still feeding the SmartyCam enough info to create a fully rendered video.

The major quality lacking is that there is no way to have a synchronized window of the video within the squiggly lines window. For most, that is not a problem, just as most users do NOT spend the time to much more than scratch the surface of the power and capability of the squiggly lines analysis in RSA.

I chuckle at the volume of off-season requests (and am glad to oblige) I've had in the last few weeks from folks asking for more complete analysis of the data they've collected with their new combinations! That's how I know...

Returning to your original posit, I do think the at-event workflow to come up with effective, actionable strategies between runs or sessions is far easier and less time consuming with the VBOX products and software..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next step AFTER Harry's