Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default AiM Math Channel Video

I put together a quick video on how to use the math channel functions in AiM and go through setting up a corner radius channel.

I've also put up the math channel documents that Roger Caddell from AiM has put together for people who attend his seminars. Please take a look at all the info, then dig into some math channels.

If anyone has questions - post them up! Let's get people using some of the more advanced functions in Race Studio 2 Analysis!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Math_Channels_101_eng.pdf (925.0 KB, 461 views)
File Type: pdf
Math Channel Info.pdf (12.4 KB, 434 views)
Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Thanks for posting - very useful!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks again Matt. The copy and paste tip is priceless for two fingered typists!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

I tried to use the built in "G-Sum" but test failed as shown. What do I need to do?
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Bill, select the tab for your session at the top left of that window. THEN, you can use YOUR channels in the equation!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
I tried to use the built in "G-Sum" but test failed as shown. What do I need to do?
It's great your trying this!

The error you received is that the channel name the equation is looking for is not available from your logger. So, click on the tab that says "BillGT413102016" in the math channels window. Then you'll be editing the math channels in your test session. Use the lateral acceleration channel from the identifiers list and you should be all set.

Once you have that working correct, go back to the general tab and change the AccLat part of the equation to whatever your logger has it named.

Important Part

The general tab is applied to every session you open in Race Studio 2. So, make sure those channels have the correct name so that they automatically work when you import a data file. That will save you from having to fix them every time you import a session.

Let me know if you have any other problems.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Matt,

I entered a number of the math channels related to recording time, distance and percentage of coasting into a session and am now trying to get them into the General tab so they'll insert automatically into session files when I load them. Coasting is definitely an issue for me. Reading your Important Note recommendation above and trying to accomplish it. Problem I'm having is the identifiers included under the general tab, don't include the particular identifier names from the session tab and thus don't work when tested. I'm sure there is a very simple reason for this that I am missing.

Thanks in advance. BTW, the Gsum channel I entered months ago does show up under the General tab as well as the Aim_G_Sum channel that I don't use.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The sure fire way to put the general math channels you want is to create what you want with a test open, then export those math channels. Close the test, then go Modify>math channels and import the set that you just exported. That will put them in all sets that you open.

The other way that I'm pretty sure will work is to use the transfer box. I've posted a picture of how to do this below. It will also work between different open tests, so you can add math channels you created before to older tests.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:44 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Thanks man, I'll dig back into it tomorrow. May get a chance to meet you at Tremblant sometime in the future - we just bought a summer house on Lake Champlain north of Plattsburgh, NY (my home town, though I moved to FL in '75) and while it will take a while to absorb the upfront costs of the transaction, I'm hoping to get the P-car up that way and try some tracks with more elevation change than the moguls at Sebring!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Thanks man, I'll dig back into it tomorrow. May get a chance to meet you at Tremblant sometime in the future - we just bought a summer house on Lake Champlain north of Plattsburgh, NY (my home town, though I moved to FL in '75) and while it will take a while to absorb the upfront costs of the transaction, I'm hoping to get the P-car up that way and try some tracks with more elevation change than the moguls at Sebring!
Let me know how it turns out!

We normally hit the July 4th NER event at Tremblant, but I won't be able to make it this year. I have to find another event up there. If you make it to the Glen, I'm there a bunch too.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It's great your trying this!

The error you received is that the channel name the equation is looking for is not available from your logger. So, click on the tab that says "BillGT413102016" in the math channels window. Then you'll be editing the math channels in your test session. Use the lateral acceleration channel from the identifiers list and you should be all set.

Once you have that working correct, go back to the general tab and change the AccLat part of the equation to whatever your logger has it named.

Important Part

The general tab is applied to every session you open in Race Studio 2. So, make sure those channels have the correct name so that they automatically work when you import a data file. That will save you from having to fix them every time you import a session.

Let me know if you have any other problems.
Thanks Matt and Peter, I'm making progress. My GSumGPS is shown as "New Channel" How can I rename it? Screen shot is a lap at T-Bolt, I can see a few areas that need improvement!
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2016, 12:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Bill, in your post above with the picture of the dialog box (#4), click on the square to the left of the Channel Name and then you can change it. Be sure to "Apply"
Old 12-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bill, in your post above with the picture of the dialog box (#4), click on the square to the left of the Channel Name and then you can change it. Be sure to "Apply"
There is no apply button on the math channels. You say OK to exit the naming box and then ok to exit the math channels.

Attached is a photo of the button to to change the channel name.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think we just said the same thing. Using different words...
Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Ok, I'm trying to add the Gsum channel also. Under the session tab in math channels window, the Gsum formula has errors unless I change AccLong to Longitudinal_a and AccLat to Lateral_acc When I paste that back to the gen page, it gives me an error that those identifiers are unknown.

Quick Reply: AiM Math Channel Video