Notices

AiM Math Channel Video

Old 02-10-2017, 07:13 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I'm new here, but figured I'd post in here since there appear to be some knowledgeable individuals in here...

I'm having an issue with my AIM MXG and RS3 that I'm not quite sure if it is normal or not. Since purchasing my unit last September, I have never been able to create a math channel using the built-in odometer. I can create math channels using other parameters, but whenever I create a math channel using the odometer, all I see on the dash is: _._ for that particular channel.

RS3 is the current version, and MXG is completely up to date as of Feb 10, 2017, yet I still cannot create a math channel that works using the odometer. I can display the built-odometer reading on the display, but RS3 will not allow for me to use the parameter within a math channel to display my car's true odometer reading.

Do any of you notice this also? Any work-arounds?

I have emailed Roger @ AIM, and while he could reproduce the issue on his end when I initially contacted him late last year, he has since stopped responding to my inquiries about the issue. Not sure if my messages get deleted, but I have not heard back from him.

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? My aim here (no pun intended!) is to display the accurate odometer reading of my car by passing the onboard reading through a correction factor, then displaying the result on the dash.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 499 Posts

I haven't seen that problem, but can't say I looked for it either. I won't be able to try anything for a bit, but you could call AiM's 800 number to see if they can help. I'm also happy to run it up the flagpole for you if you send me all the relevant info, dash configuration, and math channels. Matt@trailbrake.net

Roger is normally very good at answering emails, so maybe they are caught in a spam filter or something.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I haven't seen that problem, but can't say I looked for it either. I won't be able to try anything for a bit, but you could call AiM's 800 number to see if they can help. I'm also happy to run it up the flagpole for you if you send me all the relevant info, dash configuration, and math channels. Matt@trailbrake.net

Roger is normally very good at answering emails, so maybe they are caught in a spam filter or something.
Thanks for the response; I'm appreciative. I will definitely try calling the 1-800 number to see what happens and report back. If I don't get a favourable response, I will email you for you to try from your end
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Unusual for Roger not to respond. What expression are you using and what is your desired readout?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Unusual for Roger not to respond. What expression are you using and what is your desired readout?
Can you clarify what you mean by "expression"? I'm not sure I follow

What I want is for the dash to display my real total odometer reading of my car. Now, it appears that AIM do not let the user input a number into the odometer from which it will continue counting up with each mile driven, so what I decided to do instead is to take the built-in odometer, and put it through a math channel with a coefficient and offset that will allow my real lifetime reading to be calculated based on the built-in odometer. Problem is that every time I try to display the result anywhere, all I see is this below:

_._

If I disable the channel and have it display just the built-in odometer reading in the same place, the built in odometer reading on the dash (which is not the same as what is on the chassis of my car, as displayed on the OEM dash) is displayed perfectly.

If I create a different math channel using something such as oil pressure, and apply a multiplier and offset, it also displays wherever I want also.

I tried displaying the math channel on all of the different display patterns that the RS3 has, with same result.

I concluded that there is something about the built-in odometer channel in particular that is problematic when it comes to applying it to a math channel and displaying the results.

Yes, Roger definitely did not strike me as the kind of person not to respond, due to the speed at which he responded to my inquiry initially and was able to confirm that he was seeing the same thing. I am not here complaining about him or anything like that. I'm just trying to see if he or anyone else could help since I have noticed that more than a few firmware and RS3 updates have been released to fix bugs and add features, yet nothing on this particular issue, and none of my emails to inquire about whether this particular bug has been fixed has gone answered.

I do know that he posts regularly on the forum here, so thought creating a post might be a friendly way to get his attention since email did not appear to be getting me anywhere. No doubt I was getting caught up in spam email or something.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:18 AM
jigga009
Advanced

Sorry, took me a few minutes to understand what you were saying....

The expression I was trying to display in particular was

Multiplier (a) = 2
Offset (b) = 119.0
Current Odometer on the MXG = ~3500 KM
VALUE = (a*CH)+b

When I apply this, all I get is:

_._

Even if I simplify the math channel, making b = 0, I still get the same thing.

Now, if I change the channel to anything else, (oil pressure, coolant temp, anything else....), leaving the offset and multiplier the same, the output works perfectly.

Hope this clarifies things.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 499 Posts

If you use the gps for the distance and speed channel, it would be the true mileage for the odometer. If you use a wheel speed, you'll always have some error from tire growth and slip.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
jigga009
Advanced

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you use the gps for the distance and speed channel, it would be the true mileage for the odometer. If you use a wheel speed, you'll always have some error from tire growth and slip.
Yes, I use the GPS for the distance and speed channel which gives the true milage for the odometer since I installed it 3 months ago (currently is at about 3000km). I figured also that it would be the most accurate method of doing things.

Problem is that I want true mileage for my car since I bought it 5 years ago displayed on the dash (a much higher number)

So since AIM doesn't give the functionality to create an odometer that starts counting from e.g. 52,000 miles when the dash is freshly installed onto the car, the next best thing is to use the built-in odo that the dash has and run it through a math channel and output chassis miles on its display....That's the bit i'm struggling with... The software allows me to use the odometer as a variable for a math channel, but for some reason will not apply any math functions of any kind to the variable... it just outputs this: _._
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM
jigga009
Advanced

I just called their 1-800 number, and basically told them that their math channel was not working if the input variable was the built-in odometer.

They had no idea it was an issue, which I found odd, because I brought this to the attention of Roger Caddell (sp?) last October or November..

They asked how it was that I was setting up the math channel, and I told them exactly what i was doing. They then asked what it should display if everything was working correctly, and I told them. At first they mentioned that they did not think the dash could display a mileage of 6 digits (ex. 100,000miles), but when I told them that it would not display a reading of 1.0 miles either, it got their attention.

They want to spend the next day or two playing around with it to see if they can duplicate it on their end. Again, Roger did this, and confirmed that there was an issue when I first brought this to his attention last year.

They took my phone number and email address and mentioned that they may contact me in a day or two, depending on what they find.

Suffice to say, I can't say that I feel very hopeful of anything being done about it, as the person I spoke to led me to believe that I had to be the only AIM dash owner out there trying to do this.

Another curiosity - If, as the person I spoke to at AIM USA mentioned, that the dash cannot display an odometer of 6 digits, does this mean that the dash's internal odometer will not be available for display at some point? As is now, it can display its internal odometer reading (since I installed it last september), but what happens in 97,000KM? Does the built-in odometer reset to zero or something?

It's little niggles such as this that serve as a reminder of the inability to truly customize the dash to do what I want.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think it's important to realize that AiM Sports (the US importer) has quite a few people in their employ, and spread out quite a distance (and in specialty) within the company. Roger is the coordinator and director of product training for end-users of this equipment and is employed by AiM Sports.

AiM Sportline in Italy, the developer and manufacturer, has grown substantially in the last two years, after being in business for more than a quarter century.

IMO, it's not reasonable for you to assume that everyone is kept in the loop on every technical inquiry or support call that comes in. I am sure that if Roger said he "sent it up," he did just that. Also, there are MANY active and in the field dealers in shops and at the track that constantly feed concerns, technical questions and share information to help the manufacturer, importer, dealers and most of all, end users, to get the best available use out of their AiM equipment.

I'm not even sure your particular calculation can currently be enabled, but I am sure that if they took your information, they will get back to you.

Who is your selling dealer and where do you live?

It is not reasonable to assume
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-10-2017, 03:10 PM
jigga009
Advanced

I think it's important to realize that AiM Sports (the US importer) has quite a few people in their employ, and spread out quite a distance (and in specialty) within the company. Roger is the coordinator and director of product training for end-users of this equipment and is employed by AiM Sports.

AiM Sportline in Italy, the developer and manufacturer, has grown substantially in the last two years, after being in business for more than a quarter century.

IMO, it's not reasonable for you to assume that everyone is kept in the loop on every technical inquiry or support call that comes in. I am sure that if Roger said he "sent it up," he did just that. Also, there are MANY active and in the field dealers in shops and at the track that constantly feed concerns, technical questions and share information to help the manufacturer, importer, dealers and most of all, end users, to get the best available use out of their AiM equipment.

I'm not even sure your particular calculation can currently be enabled, but I am sure that if they took your information, they will get back to you.

Who is your selling dealer and where do you live?

It is not reasonable to assume
Sorry this might be a bit long...

I think you may be mistaken with respect to my intentions here.

My comments are not intended as a slam on the company, and yes, I do realize that AIM is a large company with the main organization based in Italy. I am largely happy with the dash, and I do sincerely hope they continue improving the device to add new functionality into the device. I went into my purchase knowing who the company was, the features of the device, the fact that new functionality would be released down the line, and for the utmost part, have it serving my relatively unorthodox needs. Are there features that I would like to see introduced that I don't see at the moment? Yes, there are a few, but I am sure with time, that stuff will come.

As far as assuming that everyone is in the loop on every technical issue, I would, and never went so far. What I struggle with, however, is that I am the only person out there noticed that the internal odo is not adjustable, and as a result, attempted to work around the issue by creating a math channel out of the internal odometer to achieve a similar end.

I knew what Roger's role in the company was when I contacted him, and was (and still am) 200% grateful for his assistance that he provided me. I am not here trying to speak negatively of him at all, in case that is what you inferred from my earlier comments. I knew that given his title and his knowledge of the product, he would be the kind of person that would be listened to if he says something to the higher-ups, even if it were what he considered an obscure feature that was not working. Roger was able to duplicate the issue I was having on his end VERY quickly (within minutes), which was very reassuring in telling me that he would reach out to AIM in Italy for a solution.

I waited patiently and as 4 or 5 firmware updates came and went, and I noticed that the problem was still there. It was at this point that I decided to reach out to Roger again just to see what the status was on our conversation that we had prior. I know that he must be a busy individual and that my message must be one of hundreds he receives, given what he does, so I was not shocked.

I decided to reach out to some of you individuals as well on here who also appear to have clout when with Aim Sports; a lot more than I would as a single user like myself who is running into what seems to be an obscure bug in the system. I knew that if someone prominent in the company, or their big dealers made mention of the bug though, I could only now assume that they would definitely listen or look into it as intently as they do some of the other bugs that they have fixed.

If the calculation cannot be enabled, perhaps they should remove the option from the software to even use the internal odometer as a variable to create a math calculation with, because as is now, it looks like a bug, but given the AIM's view on not allowing the user to adjust the built-in odometer, I am not sure of what to make of it.

With all of this said though, I want to tell you that you were correct. Tyler from Aim just emailed me with an update, as you predicted they would, and instead of spending the weekend trying to create the math channel to duplicate the issue, went directly to the software team in Italy to raise the issue with them. They will have a peep into it on Monday to see what the issue is about. Perhaps it is a case where numerous voices need to carry the same message for it to be heard.

I was commenting earlier that just did not have the same INITIAL positive feeling when I called (compared to when Roger was helping me). This was perhaps due to being asked to walk him through the process of creating a math channel (this gave me the impression that perhaps the tech I was talking to did not know how to create a math channel on RS3?), and it would take him a couple of days to try to duplicate if (something that Roger literally knock out in a few minutes after my initial description to him regarding what I was seeing).

Regardless, I would like to let you know that you were absolutely correct about them reaching back out to me. If I hear anything from them, I will definitely post it up here for anyone who needs their dash to display an odometer reading of their car.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jigga009
Sorry this might be a bit long...

Regardless, I would like to let you know that you were absolutely correct about them reaching back out to me.

If I hear anything from them, I will definitely post it up here for anyone who needs their dash to display an odometer reading of their car.
No sweat. Glad to hear!
Old 02-11-2017, 08:41 PM
Caddell
Instructor

I am very sorry, I am in a seminar right now but I did get a answer to the odometer math channel issue and I must not have sent it or it got lost. I also do not recall getting any calls or emails since then but things can slip through the cracks... sorry if that did happen.

I did chat with AiM Italy and the enhancement is on their list but I was not able to get them to push it up the long list. I would expect it may happen but it will not be soon. Seems like the solution is not a simple matter due to how the data logger handles/stores the odometer information.

Again I am sorry if I did not get the response to you, it was not on purpose!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:20 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Is there any way to render math channels on AIM Smartycam HD?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Is there any way to render math channels on AIM Smartycam HD?
Not yet...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM Math Channel Video