Notices

Tracking sector data

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Tracking sector data

Ok, I'm still going through withdrawals knowing Sunday was my last track day of the year. So I've started combing back though all of my data. While I'm looking for best line, braking locations, coasting etc., I'm also wanting to create a baseline cheat sheet by sector. I'm compiling a list of the best value I have, by sector, of each of the following information:

â—‹ Fastest Time
â—‹ Max Speed
â—‹ Min Speed
â—‹ Min Distance
â—‹ Max Gsum

I know min distance may eventually need a "target distance" instead but right now it's at least a baseline of some sort.

Is this stupid? Is this the right information? Do I need to get a life?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

You need to get a life! Hahaha!

To start, pick three. Distance is a cool measure comparison, but GSum is far more valuable.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-23-2016, 10:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Of all, vMin and duration thereof, has the greater single impact on lap times.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:02 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

If you really have a lot of time on your hands and have video, stitch together from the various sectors a video with your best theoretical lap based on fasters sector times.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I would say you have good priorities in your life, as they are not too dis-similar to mine after the kids are in bed instead of watching tv.

I would first focus on minimum time as that is really what we're after. Then I would probably look at max average Gsum, then max speed, then min speed. All the other measures will contribute to the min time, so they are good supporting material.

You will also have to look at the line traveled to see if the various segments can be put together. You have to watch that you maximizing the best corners.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Of all, vMin and duration thereof, has the greater single impact on lap times.
Do you use a math channel for this or just analyze the speed graph?

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
stitch together your best theoretical lap based on fasters sector times.
This is a really cool idea and pretty easy to do.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I would first focus on minimum time as that is really what we're after. Then I would probably look at max average Gsum, then max speed, then min speed. All the other measures will contribute to the min time, so they are good supporting material.

You will also have to look at the line traveled to see if the various segments can be put together. You have to watch that you maximizing the best corners.
Good stuff. I'll add average GSum to my list.

My ideal lap from all sessions is .7 seconds below my PB. Inside of the sectors, there are a few times where I gained more than that but gave it back. I need to figure out if it was possible to keep the gains or not.

Also, my max GSum is 1.44 on any sector. But I'm only hitting that in 2 sectors. 3 sectors are maxing in the 1.3s and one is in the 1.2's. So I think I can obviously be carrying more speed through these.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker

Also, my max GSum is 1.44 on any sector. But I'm only hitting that in 2 sectors. 3 sectors are maxing in the 1.3s and one is in the 1.2's. So I think I can obviously be carrying more speed through these.
Just looking at the Gsum numbers can be a little misleading. As it's an addition of the two numbers, you have to evaluate why the numbers are higher. Is there more camber, uphill braking, or something else that makes you pull more g force? Or is it a downhill corner, off camber, etc? Topography matters!

If you have an AiM system, you could create a math channel with the GPS Elevation channel to give you a reference to see if the topography is causing a change in the G force. Same for camber.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Have you done that yet, Matt? I tried it and the GPS Elevation information wasn't consistent enough to get the variance of the topography into the measure. I suppose you could gate it...

I have used the gSum measure for a long time as a gauge of total tire grip use. Usually a colored map is the most useful way to visualize this information, as opposed to a strip chart.

Here's a good VBOX article on the subject: https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...-gain-lap-time
Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Do you use a math channel for this or just analyze the speed graph?

Good stuff. I'll add average GSum to my list.

My ideal lap from all sessions is .7 seconds below my PB. Inside of the sectors, there are a few times where I gained more than that but gave it back. I need to figure out if it was possible to keep the gains or not.
I use the speed graph and one of the very few times I use time on the horizontal axis against the speed measure. Then, do a delta spread between two points of the threshold speed. You will find that a higher vMin often works against the distance or time covered because you can't go back to power as much or as soon.

gSum average is less valuable to me without very tightly (and repeatable) defined sectors. Plus, a direction change screws that up.

Bring the braking back, hold the brake a little longer, then you'll find less of that happening (giving back leaving what you gain going in).
Old 11-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Have you done that yet, Matt? I tried it and the GPS Elevation information wasn't consistent enough to get the variance of the topography into the measure. I suppose you could gate it...

I have used the gSum measure for a long time as a gauge of total tire grip use. Usually a colored map is the most useful way to visualize this information, as opposed to a strip chart.

Here's a good VBOX article on the subject: https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...-gain-lap-time
I've had good luck with the elevation data. It's important to remember that gps elevation is not repeatable in absolute numbers but is good in relative measures.

I've only had trouble at one track and it was specific to that area.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I use the speed graph and one of the very few times I use time on the horizontal axis against the speed measure. Then, do a delta spread between two points of the threshold speed. You will find that a higher vMin often works against the distance or time covered because you can't go back to power as much or as soon.

gSum average is less valuable to me without very tightly (and repeatable) defined sectors. Plus, a direction change screws that up.

Bring the braking back, hold the brake a little longer, then you'll find less of that happening (giving back leaving what you gain going in).
Just use absolute functions and then do the gsum. Then the average is a good measure.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Don't we have turkey to eat, or something?
Old 11-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do i set up this channel ?

motec i2 pro and I have g meter
Old 11-24-2016, 11:31 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Great point on the elevation Matt. I know the camber fairly well and have added the height channel to the sector to at least keep it in mind. I was surprised that mentally I didn't have the elevation down as well as I thought I did.

ProCoach, when you say bring the braking back do you mean brake earlier or later? Also, what are you using for the color map of GSum?

And that article was awesome. Another example of physics not behaving the way we expect.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

ProCoach, when you say bring the braking back do you mean brake earlier or later?

Also, what are you using for the color map of GSum?
Yes. Invariably, if you gain in similar to what you lose out, it's usually a net loss when considering the following straight.

Even if you are not as efficient braking, preferably you move the whole braking zone back a little, you just pick up throttle more, sooner going out. Then, the time slip variance isn't so see-saw like in the corner.

I use colored channel GPS map all the time, for nearly every significant measure. Make the channel first, then select the GPS map radio button, then select the multi color radio button that appears above the map all the way on the right. A dialog box will open, select the channel and apply. There are some crucial settings and ranges, I'll post a link from Roger's video, when I find it. VERY useful...

Quick Reply: Tracking sector data