Tracking sector data

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Ok, thank you. Missed it.

In racing and life, you generally get what you pay for!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-28-2016, 03:27 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Remember that the Gsum is really the same info as in a G-G diagram (friction circle). Sometimes it's helpful to use the G-G diagram to walk through a corner to see where the data comes off the theoretical outside of the graph and into the middle.

Here's some info on the G-G http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...he-g-g-diagram
Since the topic of a G-G plot comes up, scatter or otherwise, I can't resist airing my pet peeve with these charts.

With the overlays these data-on-video systems provide you practically always get a bullseye format with the moving dot on the playback video.

Contrast that with the typical chart plots in the analysis software and you see oblong, or if you are really lucky square, reference lines instead.

Surely it would be one _heck_ of a lot more intuitive to read a G-G plot if reference lines were presented in bullseye format as well?!

[I understand that in some programs, RSA for example, you can't rely on the aspect ratio being "square" with the horizontal and vertical axis scales being the same dimensions, but even in that case a contour reference line that shows me where 1G radially is away from the centerspot would be so much more useful, circular or not.]
Old 11-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by boxer-11
Since the topic of a G-G plot comes up, scatter or otherwise, I can't resist airing my pet peeve with these charts.

With the overlays these data-on-video systems provide you practically always get a bullseye format with the moving dot on the playback video.

Contrast that with the typical chart plots in the analysis software and you see oblong, or if you are really lucky square, reference lines instead.

Surely it would be one _heck_ of a lot more intuitive to read a G-G plot if reference lines were presented in bullseye format as well?!

[I understand that in some programs, RSA for example, you can't rely on the aspect ratio being "square" with the horizontal and vertical axis scales being the same dimensions, but even in that case a contour reference line that shows me where 1G radially is away from the centerspot would be so much more useful, circular or not.]
It would be nice to have a way to put in a circle at some level, 1 G or otherwise. I think it's not always thought of because the X-Y charts are used for so many other things where that wouldn't be useful. I'll bring it up with the programmers at AiM. Maybe it will be added at some point.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:51 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

It would be nice to have a way to put in a circle at some level, 1 G or otherwise. I think it's not always thought of because the X-Y charts are used for so many other things where that wouldn't be useful. I'll bring it up with the programmers at AiM. Maybe it will be added at some point.
Yes, I can see why coders would go that way -- the G-G is just a specific case of the more general X-Y plot diagram certainly. And given that's how RSA can show you a G-G plot the coders get more of a pass on that than RaceLogic guys who don't do general X-Y (...which would be a nice add ) but do give you a G-G but sans reference circles.

[Truth in advertising: I'm a coder by training and practice so I feel like I earned a right to have an opinion on things like that but I grant you, User Interface code is one of my least favorite things to do because it's practically impossible to make all users happy! ]
Old 11-28-2016, 04:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

First off, no need for a programming change to the RSA software. Right click the longG measure channel you are using in the X-Y plot and adjust the range positive to about half the negative value.

Second off, they wouldn't be able to do this easily and still make a circle for EVERY possible car, as the accelerative capacity of an SP1 944 tops out at .4g positive and a 991 GT3 RS is double that!

So that will fix your issue in RSA!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
First off, no need for a programming change to the RSA software. Right click the longG measure channel you are using in the X-Y plot and adjust the range positive to about half the negative value.

Second off, they wouldn't be able to do this easily and still make a circle for EVERY possible car, as the accelerative capacity of an SP1 944 tops out at .4g positive and a 991 GT3 RS is double that!

So that will fix your issue in RSA!
I think you misunderstood what he was asking for. He would like to to a G-G diagram on a circular background, not a rectangular grid. It would appear like a bullseye as it does on the video instead of a grid as it does now. He would also like it to have whole numbers for the circles, so it would show 1G, 2G, etc. It would still be up to the user to determine what is appropriate for their car.

I've discussed similar issues with the guys at AiM before in regards to being able to put a solid line in a measure. It would be helpful for things like RPM limits, coolant temps, etc (albeit in a regular strip chart).
Old 11-28-2016, 05:20 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

I think you misunderstood what he was asking for. He would like to to a G-G diagram on a circular background, not a rectangular grid. It would appear like a bullseye as it does on the video instead of a grid as it does now. He would also like it to have whole numbers for the circles, so it would show 1G, 2G, etc. It would still be up to the user to determine what is appropriate for their car.
Yes, that's right. In RSA when you resize the window the rectangular grid resizes and I defy anyone to show me a screenie that has a square grid in that window and even if the axis scales are more or less same dimension and you eyeball squaring the aspect ratio of the window you still end up looking at essentially circular (for G-G) data on a plot backdrop with rectangles that my brain experiences as a dissonance.
I've discussed similar issues with the guys at AiM before in regards to being able to put a solid line in a measure. It would be helpful for things like RPM limits, coolant temps, etc (albeit in a regular strip chart).
Another handy tool! FWIW I make my own lines by setting up a math channel with a constant value for the same measure and then displaying the two on the same strip chart area with the fixed value one in a shade of grey...that works pretty well in RSA.

Last edited by boxer-11; 11-28-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: format oopsie
Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On motec when you do a track map you can use the background from google earth...

To get high defintion you need busnice client id, anyone knows what that is..?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 AM
dasing
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

In the software that you are using, can you plot multiple variables on the same x-y plot? If you can, you could make multiple math channels to draw circles, like this:

CircleX 1.0 = sin('GPS Distance')
CircleY 1.0 = cos('GPS Distance')
CircleX 1.2 = 1.2*sin('GPS Distance')
CircleY 1.2 = 1.2*cos('GPS Distance')

Then overlay these on the G-G data:

Name:  GG_Circle_zpsesvkjou7.png
Views: 87
Size:  17.4 KB

Quick Reply: Tracking sector data