Notices

Trackside Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah, ApplePay i messed up and I ended up going into the local Apple store to get the drive. Porsche Design (LaCie) 5 TB as the 4 TB was out of stock (despite the online info saying it was in stock). I was very surprised to open the box and find it needed a power brick. Glad you got what you wanted/expected. The drive was a real fiasco for me with Apple accepting payment twice only to cancel it 24 hours later because they though it was fraud (evidently because I accidentally dropped the cards from Apple Pay by turning off something on my watch and then reactivating them the next day. Grrrr.

I may have spoken too sone saying the OWC dock appeared compatible. It passes power but the MBP does not recognize it as a hub and the SD card doesn't show up.

I also dislike how the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter doesn't allow the MBP to display the login screen on the Cinema Display. You have to wait until after login to have the display or attached keyboard be functional.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,800 Likes on 1,654 Posts

My TBolt display died a few months ago, so I'll be getting the LG 5K, if they put it back on sale at the sale price, that is...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love the trials and tribulations of bleeding edge technology.

The OWC dock is to be sent back after an RMA was issued today. It supplies power but nothing else worked. I pre-ordered the new dock due in Feb.

One little adapter to consider is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It works well and does not block the adjacent port. (it's an issue for the 'home' use as I have all 4 ports in use for the monitor, incoming power, the HDD and the USB hub.)

One other thing I tried with this computer was to use FileVault to encrypt the disk. It was a PITA and I turned it off. I'm now up and running for my consulting business and will start looking at the track applications (and bootcamp & Parallels) in the coming week.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:17 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
One other thing I tried with this computer was to use FileVault to encrypt the disk. It was a PITA and I turned it off.
What problems did you have? I am running with FileVault on and I don't seem to have any issues.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I picked my loaded 13" MBP touchbar up yesterday. I do not enable FileVault in any of my Macs because of my use of Boot Camp. Nice machine, so far
Old 12-03-2016, 05:01 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
so I'll be getting the LG 5K, if they put it back on sale at the sale price, that is...
Waiting for that one too.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Man, this thing is snappy!
Old 12-04-2016, 02:51 AM
winders
Race Car

I have a 1TB SSD. How big are you guys making your Windows boot camp partition?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Scott, having started with a 40 GB partition in my 100 GB 2006 MacBook Pro and having three 512 GB SSD MBA's for commercial use the last two years, I have used 350 GB partitions for Windows under Boot Camp successfully without any concerns. I use the Apple side for preparing presentations, track guides and maintaining my websites, so 150 GB is plenty.

For my new 1TB MBP, I'll split it 600 GB Windows/400 Mac OS. This will allow all my pictures and music, as well as current and future projects room on the OS side. Also, room for two big weekends before I offload to a portable drive instead of the heretofore one on the Windows side...

Are you guys concerned at all about the battery life? My new MBP is awfully thirsty, and it's usually not as good in Windows as it is in OS. I'm a little worried.

For those not as geeky as TomW, winders or I, this is a great deal!

http://m.tigerdirect.com/products/46...CampaignId=317

Last edited by ProCoach; 12-04-2016 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Fixed the split to use more of the OS side to produce videos.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:34 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

What's the feeling about the performance of the integrated graphics in the i5/i7 chips?

My wife has a HP laptop with an AMD cpu with integrated graphics and it's pretty awful. We're looking for something as an upgrade....

Do we want to stay away from the integrated graphics or has it gotten better?
Old 12-04-2016, 04:58 PM
winders
Race Car

I want as small a Windows partition as I can get away with. The Mac OS will be my primary operating system. After the race weekend I will move all videos to my larger drives in the home base external enclosure. I will take a USB-C bus-powered 4TB external drive to the track with videos and data from previous events that I don't keep on the laptops internal drive in case I want to review them.

So, how small can I go on the Windows partition and not have issues?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scott: I created an 80 GB on the MBP as I like to keep a bit of breathing room and I don't trust Windows to run with low disk space. Like you, I'll be storing the video on an external. I keep all the MoTeC data on the internal so I like room for it.

With FileVault enabled, the external monitor does not come alive until after login and the boot doesn't even finish until after login. I just didn't like it (I like to open the laptop, power up and close the lid and work from the big monitor).

The integrated graphics/video from the Radeon Pro 460 is fabulous (compared to the old MacBoook Air with an Intel HD Graphics 4000 that sucked).
Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jwasilko
What's the feeling about the performance of the integrated graphics in the i5/i7 chips?

My wife has a HP laptop with an AMD cpu with integrated graphics and it's pretty awful. We're looking for something as an upgrade....

Do we want to stay away from the integrated graphics or has it gotten better?
You can't run a 4K monitor very well with integrated graphics. My 13" '15 MBP is always crashing because it gets too hot.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Scott, better too big than not enough on the Windows petition. Tom's concerns about low disk space impacting Windows performance. Boot Camp suggests minimum of 40 GB, just for the operating system. You have 1000 GB, I think you should do a minimum of 150 GB.

Tom, the HD5000, HD6000 were fine, enough for comparing two or three 1080p picture in picture streams, starting and stopping frequently. The Iris line is much better.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Peter: I ran BootCamp with 80 GB on the MBAir too. I think it's a nice compromise between too small and having issues and wasting space. The external drive is for all the data.

The HD4000 worked it just was an unexceptional card and I couldn't even run some games because it came with 1 GB of memory. So far, I'm very happy with the Radeon Pro 460. I just wish LG would release the 5K monitors we need.

Quick Reply: Trackside Laptop