Notices

AIM SoloDL software run on Apples yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM SoloDL software run on Apples yet?

I did a quick search and didn't find anything.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

No. Not any time soon, if at all.

The only software for data logging analysis that works on Mac OS is VBOX's Circuit Tools 2. This also works on iOS devices.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I run Aim RS2 & RS3 in Windows 10, running in the latest version of Parallels, on a 2015 MacBook Pro. I know this is not what the OP was asking about, but it works great. Note, on my old 2008 MacBook I had issues with the Aim software. Not so with the current generation.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have run Windows on Apple hardware under Boot Camp since 2006. No issues, no problems.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:56 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 for Parallels.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Rceron
Racer

Thanks guys. Dumb question....does Boot Camp run on the "side" so for example I can run AIM and MS Excel yet simultaneously use the Apple features? Basically, does Boot Camp convert the entire computer to a MS OS system or just for what you need?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Boot Camp allows you to boot the Mac in either Windows or OSX; once booted, the machine is dedicated to that OS. Also, you must dedicate a fixed partition on the Macs drive to Windows.

I prefer parallels. There is no dedicated partition space and the windows programs run alongside your OS programs. No choices on booting, etc.

You have to buy a version of the Windows with either solution, so the differential is the cost of Parallels which is reasonable and IMHO well worth it.

db

db
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 PM
Rceron
Racer

Thanks to all. I think I may go this route. Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:50 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

One more suggestion: Do you really want to use a $1-2k Apple laptop at the track with concomitant risks? There are Windows laptops now under $200 with the OS on a small SSD. Add a microSD card for your track data and your good with an inexpensive (read low financial risk if damaged, etc.) native Windows machine. Leave the expensive macbook at home.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I disagree. Having carried laptop(s) to the track over two-hundred days a year for the last five years, like the car stuff, you should buy better, rather than cheaper!

Durability, function, screen brightness and clarity, SD card (NOT mSD card) capability are all integral in having a successful outing. Almost everyone I know who goes the "less expensive" route is disappointed. Maybe I'm biased because it's my work, if I don't have something that is reliable, seamless in operation and pretty snappy (Core i5 or better, 512 SSD or better), I can't my job well.

Metal case, glossy or OLED (or Intel HDMI wireless bridge to a larger monitor), powerful processor, good integrated or dedicated GPU (especially comparing side by side TRUE HD video streams in R-K or VBOX Video HD2) are a must, IMO.

I have five laptops that I am cycling though now, but you can buy an XPS 13, an HP Envy or a new MacBook Air 13 (latest release) for $1K or under...
Old 11-18-2016, 09:16 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Admittedly, despite my suggestion, I use a 1-2 year old stuffed Macbook Pro.
I put it in the toughest case I could find.

https://urbanarmorgear.com/collectio...macbook-pro-13

db
Old 11-18-2016, 09:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Boot Camp allows you to boot the Mac in either Windows or OSX; once booted, the machine is dedicated to that OS. Also, you must dedicate a fixed partition on the Macs drive to Windows.

I prefer parallels. There is no dedicated partition space and the windows programs run alongside your OS programs. No choices on booting, etc.

You have to buy a version of the Windows with either solution, so the differential is the cost of Parallels which is reasonable and IMHO well worth it.

db

db
For ninety per cent of folks switching back and forth between Mac OS and Windoze, Parallels (especially the latest release) works great.

"Coherence" or their feature allowing simultaneous operation of both OS's is convenient and easy to use.

However, remember that Parallels and VMWare (which is the other good alternative to Boot Camp) are emulators, basically "translators" of the Windoze code for Mac OS. With that comes emulation of the hardware, port assignment and graphics.

The issue for me crunching a fair bit of HD video, comparing multiple laps in i2 Pro, Circuit Tools 2 and Comparo, is that the graphics acceleration in a "virtualized" environment (Parallels and VMWare) is SOFTWARE based, and NOT reliant on the superb hardware present in the Apple computer hardware. So that is why Boot Camp exists, to create a REAL, uncompromised and dedicated Windows machine, leveraging ALL of the power in these great machines. Yes, you have to decide when you fire it up whether your going to work in windows or Mac OS, and if you want to switch, you have to restart the machine, but with today's quick booting OS's, that's a small price to pay for the extra performance and capability Boot Camp provides.

I am no particular raging Apple fanboi, but as a professional who has pioneered and staked my claim on using this technology for club level, HPDE and entry level pro racing drivers at the track, it's a fact that Apple hardware is capable of running Windoze better than most all PC's. Couple that with the rugged monocoque construction and bright, clear displays and you get what you need, better actually. YMMV.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:34 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
Admittedly, despite my suggestion, I use a 1-2 year old stuffed Macbook Pro.
I put it in the toughest case I could find.

https://urbanarmorgear.com/collectio...macbook-pro-13

db
Old 11-18-2016, 09:46 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Listen to Peter!

On my 2009 MBP, I had to go the BootCamp route. It worked much better, and I was stunned at how much faster it was than Parallels. Now with the 2015 MBP, Parallels works great, and I love that I don't have to reboot to access all my other tools. I bet it would be stunning performance in BootCamp.

I also agree with Peter that a larger monitor is better. Even with a 15, I often wish for more real estate on screen. Planning to install a monitor on a wall in my trailer that I can plug into to do analysis work. That's mostly where I look at data anyway.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:47 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I've seen a lot of laptops slide off roofs......

For laptops that are going to be track only for the basic data analysis that most anyone does, any current laptop will suffice. I suggest to people they buy based on screen size and brightness.

If it's a laptop that will do lots of video and data, then you need hard drive memory! Video quickly eats up lots of storage space. I offload non current or needed videos onto my server where they are locally and remotely backed up. I can also grab these videos remotely when needed.

For someone using one laptop in all spaces, then you have a lot more variables to consider.

I've run Samsung ultrabooks and currenly have a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. I was going to get a XPS15, but it didn't have the memory and some other options I wanted.

Quick Reply: AIM SoloDL software run on Apples yet?