Notices

AIM SoloDL software run on Apples yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was thinking about picking up a large screen, higher resolution but cheaper laptop (maybe black friday).

17" Windows laptops seem to be in a price null as they are less portable, but the higher resolution (be careful, some larger screens don;t have higher resolution) larger screen are really appealing for looking at squiggly lines.

For instance:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/produ...top/dndou2443h
Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've seen a lot of laptops slide off roofs......

If it's a laptop that will do lots of video and data, then you need hard drive memory! Video quickly eats up lots of storage space.
Hahaha! BTDT.

True dat. Last weekend at the HSR/TA weekend at Daytona, I was working with four cars (two with VBOX HD, two with VBOX Video HD2, plus a few redundant SmartyCam HD's and I came away with 155 GB after Thursday test day, Friday and Saturday... Sheesh.

Typically though, the single user will not exceed 24-32 GB for the weekend.

Best thing I ever did (and I'm still in the middle of it, three months in) is to delete ALL of the less than quickest runs from previous weekends.

No need to save what you DON'T want to do!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-18-2016, 10:01 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbarron
I was thinking about picking up a large screen, higher resolution but cheaper laptop (maybe black friday).

17" Windows laptops seem to be in a price null as they are less portable, but the higher resolution (be careful, some larger screens don;t have higher resolution) larger screen are really appealing for looking at squiggly lines.

For instance:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/produ...top/dndou2443h
But...Peter has me convinced to stay with my 13" MBP.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! When my "away" business blew up bigtime in 2011, I bought a unibody, BTO, top of the line 15" MBP for about $2800, at the time. That damn thing was very powerful and very rugged, but really heavy and bulky toting through airports and balancing on door sills...

I had been buying MacBook Air's since the beginning for light duty work, web site maintenance and email.

After getting tired of lugging the 15" around, I decided to spec a top of the line, BTO Core i7, 512 SSD MacBook Air and to try and use that as my primary computer.

After a few test weekends where I brought BOTH to the track (sheesh), I was pleasantly surprised that the MBA could handle just about everything I could throw at it, so I sold the MBP to my brother and began buying new (well, refurbished from Apple, same warranty as new) MacBook Airs about every nine months since then.

I didn't miss the screen real estate, the difference is very small and I just maximized the windows I wanted to see. Most clients or shops that I work under have a larger screen that they have with them and I just bring an HDMI cable to show it on that. For a more permanent installation in your own trailer, monitors are cheap and good for presbyopic eyes, but the portability of the 13" laptops is key.

For events closer to home, or when I have a shop transporting the equipment to a large race or DE weekend, I bring a 27' iMac late-model with me. Got to tell you, the damned video jumps right out at you, and replays of crashes cause people to lurch out of their seat, sometimes...

You pay your money and make your choice. The 13" MBP is a great machine. And the older version is cheaper now. Don't avoid Refurbished options directly from Apple. Deals can be had...

Me? I am waiting for my new BTO, Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 13" Touchbar MacBook Pro! And I have three, fresh install, Windows 10 on Boot Camp 13" Core i7, 512 SSD MacBook Airs for sale... Cheap.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I've used a 13" MBA running VMware Fusion for AIM software for a couple years track side. Works fine for me and my buddies... I'm kinda pissed the new MB doesn't have an SD Card slot. Ugh. Another dongle to watch video...
Old 11-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
After getting tired of lugging the 15" around, I decided to spec a top of the line, BTO Core i7, 512 SSD MacBook Air and to try and use that as my primary computer.
MoTeC Joe Hullett always carries a spare laptop in case his main one goes down. I carried two for a bit until I was able to put one in the transporter and make sure other people had a backup. I've never needed them, but you never know....

Carrying two does get old quick.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I still always bring two. I'm too expensive to be hobbled by hardware failure... And I don't want to rely on anyone else, including the client(s).

My second computer rotates between another MBA, a Surface Book or my Surface Pro 3.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:34 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Peter can you still play AIM video using Quicktime under the latest rev of OS X? Mine stopped worked a month or two ago and Quicktime no longer reads the smart cam video files native. Easy to use something else like VLC or 5Kplayer but it was much much easier to keep things native with the mac.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've always used VLC native to OS X, Richard, but I do know the last two versions of Mac OS have broken the SC .mov working natively in QT.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:13 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I've always used VLC native to OS X, Richard, but I do know the last two versions of Mac OS have broken the SC .mov working natively in QT.
Thanks. Figured it wasn't just my mac.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

AiM is investigating what happened to cause this problem. No answers yet, but they are working on it.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's nice. Through the worldwide dealer and distributor email distribution list, this problem has been reported a few weeks ago.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are running parallels for Race studio 2 on a Mac and want to video edit GoPro footage (as opposed to smartycam) with race render... is it best to download the windows version of race render and edit in windows or the Mac version of race render and do it there? I guess what I'm asking is if the Mac version of race render will pull data files from the parallels window/memory. I hope I'm asking this right!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think I understand your question.

I think it would be best to do it all on Windows under Parallels. The reason for this is you will be asked to export in .csv form, the file from Race Studio 2, then import that same file into Race Render 3 for combining with the video. I would try and keep it simple, for sure.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:11 PM
Berringer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Addresses exactly what I was asking, no interpreter required! Thanks.

Quick Reply: AIM SoloDL software run on Apples yet?