Notices

Hedging an AIM system for future video-data sync

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 04:19 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hedging an AIM system for future video-data sync

If I were considering a SoloDL/SmartyCam HD system for a 997.2 (don't really need any analog/digital inputs/outputs) for (self)coaching purposes and wanted to hedge future compatibility with synced video-data, what system would I be best advised to buy? AX and HPDE use. No racing.

I've read the older logger platforms like the SoloDL will likely not support future video-data sync.

Possible choices:
1)SoloDL/SCHD and sell/replace the SoloDL when the video-data situation clarifies?
2)SCHD+EVO4s (or EVO5)+G-Dash?
3)SCHD+MXS (or other dash logger)?

FYI, I like the idea of having the removable SoloDL for logging AX start/finish points during a course walk. This compromises the dash logger/gdash configs.

db
Old 11-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

My understanding is it will take a MXL2, MXS, MXG, Evo4s, or Evo5 to work with whatever the future video-data solution is, but that could be wrong (though I don't think so). I would also suspect that any other future systems would work, whatever they are and whenever they are released.

The G-Dash will not work with the Evo4s or Evo5, so that combo is out. You could do a Evo4s or Evo5 with a SCHD and add the future displays when it's ready.

If you want a solution today, the best bet is go Solo DL and SCHD.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:40 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Which dash units currently work with the Evo4s or Evo5?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

No dash units are available at all at this time for the "blind" EVO4S and EVO5 loggers.

AiM has made it clear to us that only loggers with the new file format with enhanced positioning and clock info (.xrk) will be capable of video sync, as Matt says.

Not sure why that is, because MoTeC, Traqmate, RLC and even hackers with Circuit Tools and a GoPro can do this (sync a video within the data analysis window) without that info, but let's see... it's one of the major reasons why people purchase other systems like the VBOX Video HD2 and Race-Keeper HDX2...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2016, 05:10 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Bump the original question now that the GS-Dash is (almost) available (assume so for spring), and so is MXS.

I.e., Any reason to consider a MXS or EVO4S/5 and GS-DASH rather than a Solo-DL for AX and HPDE use (all + SCHD)?

GPS file transfer?
Future video sync compatability?
Advantage to external GPS antenna?
Where in a 997.2 would one mount a MXS or GS-Dash? Main dash v. off to one side like a SoloDL? MXS probably too big if not as a dash replacement. GS-Dash probably could mount like a SoloDL off to the side. (Note - I have no need or desire for a dash replacement as the car is still used on the street)
More modern HW platform?

Last edited by dbbarron; 12-31-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

If you don't need analog inputs, safest bet is to buy a SDL/SCHD right now, as the sync feature is likely later than earlier. Get used to it, use it, enjoy it. The GS-Dash is not currently available and is not in the country yet. To be future-proof, you could get an MXS, but that's bulky for your application and again, without the need for analog inputs, it's SUPER overkill... The Solo/Solo DL line is the oldest of the "modern era" offerings from AiM and due for a refresh, at some point. It would make sense for them to incorporate the new file structure/track management/RS3 interface features of the present and future hardware, at that time. Again, I have not yet seen EVO4S/EVO5 or the dash that works with either in the wild yet. So buy what is available now, secure in the knowledge that you'll be able to "trade up" to what you need when the functionality you most desire is made available.

Not certain of your individual questions?

"GPS file transfer" sounds like you mean "wireless file transfer"? - If so, dashes and EVO5 only, at this time.
"Future video sync capability"- NOTHING confirmed, but likely the current camera and dashes, as well as the EVO4S and EVO5 will be compatible, as will any revamp of current and popular more portable loggers.
"Advantage to external antenna"-I have seen no deficit to internal Solo/Solo DL antennas, at this time. I do know the SDL antennas have been updated over time.
"Where to mount"-in the CS GT4's, we mount the C125 MoTeC (abut the same size as the MXS) above the center console using a simple sheet metal bracket. The GS-Dash is more compact and would go where the SDL would go, above the dash low and left inside the windshield.
"More modern HW platform"-answered above...
Old 12-31-2016, 06:07 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I have not yet seen EVO4S/EVO5 or the dash that works with either in the wild yet..
I did not know these were all still vaporware - thought except for the GS-Dash coming 'very soon' (for AIM) they were available.

So...unless a EVO4 (EVO5 is overkill as I only need ECU data)+GS-DASH comes out in the next few months, my only AIM option is a SoloDL for now; trade up later if we ever get video.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I just said I have not seen any in the wild yet, and I go to three or four races a month and about ten additional track days all over the East and Central US and Canada.

Without a display option, I'm continuing to sell the EVO4/G-Dash, because it's a great solution. I think the SDL/SCHD option would be good for you, while we're waiting. If you're interested, would be glad to offer a RL New Year's discount.

The loggers are not "vaporware," they do exist. I understand a few have been delivered but they're not at all widespread. The GS-Dash is coming, just not here in the US, yet. When RS3 is updated, you'll know that the loggers can now be updated for use with the new dash.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You're in the Northeast, so unless you are heading south for an event, I would advise waiting a little bit. The Solo DL / SCHD combo is something that lots of us stock, so it's only a day or two away. No need to rush into buying a system right now.

There are some GS Dashes in the US, but they are not out yet. The firmware is still being developed. It was originally planned to be done by now, but is behind. I have not heard an update.

The Evo4s and Evo5 are currently available. I have an Evo5 that I use for development work.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:09 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You're in the Northeast, so unless you are heading south for an event, I would advise waiting a little bit. The Solo DL / SCHD combo is something that lots of us stock, so it's only a day or two away. No need to rush into buying a system right now.

There are some GS Dashes in the US, but they are not out yet. The firmware is still being developed. It was originally planned to be done by now, but is behind. I have not heard an update.

The Evo4s and Evo5 are currently available. I have an Evo5 that I use for development work.
April is decision time - first events up here about that time.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A few more observations.

It's generally accepted among the AiM dealer and support community that the SmartyCam HD generates the information required for future video-sync capability with loggers using the new (.xrk) file format. So, you can confidently buy a camera today knowing that you're good to go, going forward.

The resale value of the Solo DL, in particular, is very strong. This is because it's a good value to begin with and also, it's a very, very easy to use entry level product that, depending on the ECU, allows the full power of the RSA analysis software to be used along with it. So, you can sell or trade out of that quickly, when the time comes you want to upgrade. I do this frequently for the customers that buy equipment from me.

The EVO5 is just the "guts" of the MXL2/MXG/MXS plus a removable storage (SD) capability. At $1699 plus any display (a bundle deal with the required Data Hub to connect both the antenna and dash will likely be $1999. The display only, added at a later date, will likely the same price as the old one, $480 with the Data Hub), so the MXL2 is the same price, the MXS a little more.

For you, you might also consider the MXm, a limited capability, MyChron5-like display/logger, adapted for automotive use. This will be priced midway between the SDL and the EVO4S with GS-Dash, with availability sometime first half of this year. The MXm will accept ECU inputs, has the latest antenna capability but integral and would fit your immediate "no analog inputs" needed, but it does have the ability for a conventional RPM signal and four analog inputs to be added later, if you wish.

Whether you decide to purchase now or later, there are many solutions, just among AiM's current and forthcoming offerings, that will do what you want, the way you want it done.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The MXm is a long way away IMHO. Remember how long it took to get the MXL 2 after we saw it at PRI
Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hahaha! Yep, twenty-three months... But they did change the processor to something MUCH more powerful, built entirely new internals, expanded the capabilities... Not really the same product, as shown, but almost entirely new. The SC HD took only fifteen months from PRI...

It's in the 2017 product catalog, shipped with cameras and loggers now. The OP said "hedging," not us!

Which is why when he asked whether he should buy an SDL/SCHD combo and trade up later, I told him that was a GOOD idea! The EVO4S/EVO5 has NO display currently available, so I can't sell it until there is one.

A bird in hand...

Happy New Year, Jerry!
Old 01-01-2017, 12:29 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Thinking about things available NOW, and price, am I crazy to consider a MXS for a car that still does some street duty and otherwise has a stock interior (other than that cage and GT2 seats and harness!)? It seems to be a modern hardware platform, future compatible for video sync and priced just a little more than a SOLODL and less than likely pricing for EVO4 and GSDASH?

Is there a way to mount a MXS removably? Side mount and configured for data display rather than 'dash' display? Car is 997.2 GTS.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, not crazy.

MXS=$2299, EVO4S+GS-Dash=$1399, SmartyCam HD Rev2.1 all-in-one=$999

I have supplied MXS mounts using RAM components that would allow removal and installation in about 60 seconds...

Quick Reply: Hedging an AIM system for future video-data sync