Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
For you, you might also consider the MXm, a limited capability, MyChron5-like display/logger, adapted for automotive use. This will be priced midway between the SDL and the EVO4S with GS-Dash, with availability sometime first half of this year.
I have not heard that the MXm was going to be available mid year. What I was told at PRI was that it would be end of 2017. Is this what you have been told or your guess?

Originally Posted by amso3
The MXm is a long way away IMHO. Remember how long it took to get the MXL 2 after we saw it at PRI
I agree.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

One can always be an optimist!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-01-2017, 04:52 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a modern street car with decent ECU support from AiM, I would get a Solo DL without hesitation. Your original dash will warn you for any car-related issues, you have water and oil temp/pressures on the dash already, so what would be the extra value of that AiM dash in there?

Solo DL install and uninstall is like 30 seconds, and it works really well. You'll have plenty of data to work on with the ECU connector (especially on cars where it can tap into the ESP/ABS systems and read multiple wheel speeds etc). Want to spend a bit more? Hook it up to a Smartycam.

Should be more than sufficient (IMHO!). When you want more, maybe it's also time to start considering the race car
Old 01-01-2017, 05:14 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
In a modern street car with decent ECU support from AiM, I would get a Solo DL without hesitation. Your original dash will warn you for any car-related issues, you have water and oil temp/pressures on the dash already, so what would be the extra value of that AiM dash in there?

Solo DL install and uninstall is like 30 seconds, and it works really well. You'll have plenty of data to work on with the ECU connector (especially on cars where it can tap into the ESP/ABS systems and read multiple wheel speeds etc). Want to spend a bit more? Hook it up to a Smartycam.

Should be more than sufficient (IMHO!). When you want more, maybe it's also time to start considering the race car
This all makes sense. My intent with this thread was to better understand the ultimate video sync AIM workflow v. current system video sync workflow (like VBOX or RK systems) and the relative price points for the system. I am most interested in comparing laps from different sessions both for myself and as between my son and I who dual drive and learn from each others sessions using video and data (cobbled together right now from GoPros and apps). On the one hand, either type of system would 'work'; I think a current sync'd video system would be easiest for us in workflow and immediacy; nonetheless, there is a huge install base of AIM in my club and I really like the analytic and data manipulation power of RS which, e.g., CT2 does not seem to have.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
My intent with this thread was to better understand the ultimate video sync AIM workflow v. current system video sync workflow (like VBOX or RK systems) and the relative price points for the system. I am most interested in comparing laps from different sessions both for myself and as between my son and I who dual drive and learn from each others sessions using video and data (cobbled together right now from GoPros and apps).
Actually, I thought your intent with this thread was to determine whether/if AiM automated video/data sync was imminent enough to get newer AiM stuff OR, if not (which I think is the safer bet), to evaluate for purchase the SDL/SCHD Rev2.1 combo (or the recent releases of logger/displays) for use right away.

The workflow suggested for the currently available AiM system might allow you to proceed forward with individual, targeted goals quickly. I must have missed in the original post the desire to compare two drivers and glean from that analysis actionable items for the next run.

While I understand that the installed base of AiM products is far greater than VVBOX or R-K, the AiM product does not do what you desire right now, and there is not enough information for anyone to say that the "ultimate video sync AiM workflow" will even be able to do what you desire, when it is introduced. My sense (and my complete guess) is that it will be similar to MoTeC integration of video within i2. I am not certain the R-K will do what you want either, in the segmented detail you will find most valuable for instant analysis.

I do know that the VVBOX, both in the standard definition, two-camera Lite ($1800, with the display, near the equivalent price of the SDL/SCHD Rev2.1 combo with mounts, $1778) and in the two-camera HD2 (>$3K with OLED display, CAN cable and splitter), the Racelogic equipment WILL allow the quickest, cleanest and shortest turnaround video with data analysis to advance both drivers.

The VIDEO sector analysis, with the GPS position justified video, where you can pick the same segments across runs, across drivers for comparison of attitude of the car, forces acting on the car and basic control inputs, is possible with these systems, right now.

So, if you do wish to take advantage of the wonderful ECU protocols and the flexible analysis GUI, WITH the advantage of data rendered real-time ON to the video, albeit not synced with the data analysis window and not divisible by segment, buy the Solo DL/SC HD Rev2.1.

But the segmented video analysis capability (with information rendered real-time on the video, auto synced with limited CAN data) is owned by Racelogic, right now...
Old 01-01-2017, 06:44 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Is AIM back to being a one point of download, or is there still multiple devices you need to pull files off of?
Old 01-01-2017, 06:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, multiple. The video from AiM is standalone, as it has been for sometime. Have to download data and import video separately, as it is for MoTeC in i2 and Traqmate (RIP).

Only RT, R-K and VVB are all-on-one SD/USB media capable.

In the days of the original standard definition SmartyCam, you could retrieve both the data files (from an attached MXL logger) and the video from the same microSD card in the camera, using a decoding capability in RS2, but no more since the implementation of the HD version.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No, multiple. The video from AiM is standalone, as it has been for sometime. Have to download data and import video separately, as it is for MoTeC in i2 and Traqmate (RIP).

Only RT, R-K and VVB are all-on-one SD/USB media capable.

In the days of the original standard definition SmartyCam, you could retrieve both the data files (from an attached MXL logger) and the video from the same microSD card in the camera, using a decoding capability in RS2, but no more since the implementation of the HD version.
That's what I am remembering from the SmartycamGP/SolorDL I got from you - one CF card pull only.

I helped a guy with a Smartycam HD setup and was surprised that it was now multiple downloads. I was hoping that this was only temporary.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
That's what I am remembering from the SmartycamGP/SolorDL I got from you - one CF card pull only.

I helped a guy with a Smartycam HD setup and was surprised that it was now multiple downloads. I was hoping that this was only temporary.
I could be wrong, but I would not expect having to download the data and video separately to change.

Quick Reply: Hedging an AIM system for future video-data sync