Notices

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I did (if I recall correctly) but when I pressed 'export' either nothing happened, or I got a share icon, and went to gmail, and got a nothing email.

I guess I'll try again....
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Still not working worth anything for me...

7 runs on a course, with start and finish set. The first run seemed to complete,
and when I stopped for the time slip, it saud 'stop recording?', I said yes,
'save?' I saved. I started and stopped the same way the next 6 runs, but
none of them showed anything after I stopped and was asked if I wanted to
stop recording. At the end of the day, I had only one stupid partial run. It
seemed to stop recording when I drove within 100 feet of the finish, early on
in the course, but the start and finish are supposed to be directional, and it
would have been backward if anything... And all runs were done the same,
but only the one run.

And I wish it would let me edit a made course, moving the start and/or finish, so I can re-use the same track for the same venue. But instead I have to
delete the course and make it again...

Any ideas? I wish there was some way to get actual support for this product.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:25 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finished a DE this weekend and still could not get this thing to work. This is MSR Cresson which has to be input, but I could not find any driver at the event that had the software working. My sales associate was at the track and he said nobody he knew had been able to get it to work. If any of you can make this work are at the next Maverick DE please come find me. I am at the point of just parking the car at the dealer and telling them that I don't want it back until they get it to work.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM
jkm155
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed the new version and had good success. Then, halfway thru my track event this weekend the app stopped recording video and sound, but appears to have recorded all other data. I'm not sure if this is a storage limit issue or not.
-My iPhone has plenty of storage available.
-Video storage limit on app is set to max at 126011 MB.
-Resolution on the app is set to 1280x720-30fps

Any ideas ?
Old 03-09-2017, 09:27 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

looks like minor release yesterday to fix a few bugs. will try this weekend at Sebring
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkm155
I have installed the new version and had good success. Then, halfway thru my track event this weekend the app stopped recording video and sound, but appears to have recorded all other data. I'm not sure if this is a storage limit issue or not.
-My iPhone has plenty of storage available.
-Video storage limit on app is set to max at 126011 MB.
-Resolution on the app is set to 1280x720-30fps

Any ideas ?
set your phone to airplane mode. if a call, text or email comes in, it could mess up your recording.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

The new fixes released last week resolved some data issues. I successfully recorded all my sessions at Sebring this weekend. Some where long 45+ mins some had multiple pitstopsand it worked for all.

One time it stopped recording as my phone was almost fill. I saw a error msg came into pit and was able to save and then remove some older files to continue my session

One time after a session it seemed to hang during saving but after a while (10+ mins) it finished. Not sure why it happened but I stayed patient as the session had a new personal best in it.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:07 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the app last weekend at THill.
I only used the logger, no video as I was relying on a GoPro.
It recorded all my laps. As said above, when you save after your session, it may take a while to save and seems to get stuck (may be 20 s to a couple of min).
Also, in order to record a new session and reestablish connection with with car PCM, I had to reboot my iPhone each time.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Now, trying to see if I can export to some kind of desktop version.
My Gopro was not well setup ...so no video.
Work in progress...
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

My last attempt to use it, I made it as simple as possible, airplane mode except enabling wifi for car data. Made the track by map with a start and finish.

I indpendently gopro'ed and vbox data collected.

I examined the phone videos, and it seems they start 3-4 seconds later than the chosen start so it's still not super useful, and I like the overlay of user-input, but it seems choppy. I will try exporting the data to see if it's any good compared to the VBOX data.

I wish there was an easy one-button 'export data and video to email/cloud/dropbox' function.

I wish I could edit an existing track, to move the start and finish. We have autocrosses at a given site, but the start and finish are always different. As it is now, the app requires me to create a new track in total each time. It *says* you can edit, but when I click on the start, and try to edit it, it won't move. It will rotate in place, but not move. The finish won't let me do anything to it at all.

Last edited by Joe Weinstein; 03-24-2017 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

And as to keeping it simple, I used the phone GPS, and the resulting data is uselessly crude. Here is a screen shot of what it thought my car did in a 35 second autocross. The actual course had slaloms, and did *not* cross itself Note the odd dots that supposedly indicate a start and finish nowhere on the line...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
autox.pdf (230.5 KB, 112 views)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Please post feedback and requests for TPA here:

Facebook Post
Old 03-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

V2.0.1 Feedback on iPhone with GT4 and VBox GPS... linkage was stable and did not experience any dropouts.

Used at VIR over a three day event. Rather than highlighting each detail for improvements noticed or errors found I will simply offer a summation.

What woks: General stability has improved. No problem logging all sessions (10-11) over three days. One was nearly an hour long. Most times (but not all) I hit stop after the sessions the app would freeze in circular visual continuing for several mins. After 5-10 mins of it doing such I would manually kill the app and reopen. Fortunately the data logged came right up without problem. So, improvement but work remains.

What fails: All VBO exports, either with or without video, for review in Circuit Tools complete creation of VBO files but crash ALL versions of Circuit Tools (windows, Mac, iOS) -- no error, just Circuit Tools crash while loading. Since this previously worked for data review in all variants of Circuit Tools I took a pass to manually review the file structure exported. On first pass it appears correctly formatted, but something is certainly wrong and I was not able to correct with the short edits I attempted. Yes, I ensured i used the latest available Circuit Tools versions going so far as wiping my Windows install and trying fresh. I will look into the differences from prior exports that work later to see if there is an easy correction. To be clear, the data exports from PTPA, but will crash Circuit Tools. If any experiences differently I would enjoy comparing notes.

While there are improvements noticed throughout the app in terms of stability, usability (e.g. Import now works every time), logging accuracy, and data consistency (e.g lap times) when compared with my actual VBox logs, but obvious problems exist that are particularly apparent as some things have been broken from prior working versions.

My wish list is simple: Forget new features for now as the core seems to work, just improve testing on he features listed. Breaking things that previously worked (e.g. VBO exports) or app locking up upon pressing stop are seemingly obvious oversights as I am able to easily reproduce. Oh and appreciated interactions with Porsche rep who reached out to a few of us last year regarding debugging errors -- bring that person back.

The app continues to show incremental improvements and is worth using so long as you are either patient or have someone with more experience to help.

One side not for other list readers: Since the tracks I run were not listed last year I created them myself, and even shared with others. Now that some like VIR are included I used the built in map. However, the app does not permit data comparison with the prior logged variant. Both still work independently but cannot be directly compared. If VBO exports worked, that could have likely been an easy work around but for now that cannot work.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

my vbo export don't work on CT either. they worked on v 2.0

my other big issue is that I cant change/create sectors in existing (Porsche provided) tracks.
crazy they provided these tracks without sectors or enable us to create sectors in them.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Version 2.0.2 has been released. Version notes from iTunes are listed below. I can confirm that VBO data exports have been fixed both in standard data VBO form and VBO+Video. I have not yet tried the external video source import / export features nor gone through the whole app yet but VBO being fixed with video working is an appreciated big step (see example below from my iPhone, GT4, and VBOX Sport).

What's New in Version 2.0.2
• VBO Export fixed
• The GPS source is now set automatically to avoid errors
• Improved video synchronization for multiple recordings
• Support for the new 911 GT3 (2017) and customized design
• Some improvements and bugfixes

I have successfully imported the PTPA created VBO data alone in all Mac, iOS, and Windows version of Circuit Tools. VBO data + Video export will only work in Windows version -- true to the limited app help files indicates, so all is well. As a quick test sample I pulled from a session when I was last at VIR that can be seen in the screen capture below comparing two laps.

MarcK147: Note the automatically inserted segments are included for VIR, so this should help one of your requests. In this test I used PTPA's VIR rather than one I previously created with my own segments set.

My next event is at Watkins Glen in a few weeks and will report back how it works. Hopefully this latest version notes indication of "GPS source is now set automatically" does not cause any problem with the VBox Sport I use for more GPS refresh/accuracy than the iPhone.

Quick Reply: New version of Porsche Track Precision available!