Notices

New version of Porsche Track Precision available!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi all, any update on a new revision? I have the android version, latest,
and it drops more of my runs than it keeps, and the one it did keep stopped
recording data an 8th of a mile from the finish!

It did record all the videos for the 15 (separate) laps I ran, from the
press of the 'start' button, till after the designated finish, where it (most of
the time) asked me if I wanted to stop recording (yes, and confirm), and
then (mostly) brought up whether I wanted to save the run (yes).

Then when I get home, there's 15 vids and one recognizeable file I
exported as a .vdo file for circuit tools, and it wasn't even one complete
lap (started where the start was marked, but finished *way* soon.

GPS was external, a VBOX Sport, and the app reported very good GPS
signal, and the VBOX got all the data.
This is a copy from what I recently posted in the GT4 sub forum with a few additional notes. However, please note my experience is with iPhone running PTPA v1.6.1...

I used the latest version and it is useful. Not perfect but far better.

While there certainly are bugs remaining, the most problematic seemed to have been addressed as it is a big step forward from where it was earlier in the year. Last weekend I was able to get consistent logging three days across all sessions I ran at VIR, including reliable operation with VBox Sport and Racelogic Circuit Tools overlays from multiple sources in iOS, MacOS, and PC versions.

Regarding bug referenced: There were a couple times the app crashed sometime after selecting to stop after the session. Though, upon relaunch all data seemed to be retained without any further problems. Another issue found was the video with data overlays were not always timely and sometimes would drop out entirely then get picked back up at start of next lap, but I believe the data was available when going into analysis mode or Circuit Tools. When digging into the data itself there were a few more anomalies that point to bugs but nothing that prevents active use.

Not without some bugs remaining, but certainly valuable enough to be used... And far better than earlier releases.

Originally Posted by nlpamg
I've found that in order for the app to be at its most reliable, you need to go into airplane mode and then turn on wifi and bluetooth again. If you get a text or email while on the track, it's done.
Good point. I do the same.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
Last weekend I was able to get consistent logging three days across all sessions I ran at VIR, including reliable operation with VBox Sport and Racelogic Circuit Tools overlays from multiple sources in iOS, MacOS, and PC versions.
Sweet!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-29-2016, 09:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Porsche Track App
Old 10-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have tried getting feedback from Europe, via PCNA, and through the customer satisfaction manager that ably handled a significant refund to me on another matter, and it seems to be a brick wall. No technical feedback or specific acknowledgement of my symptoms, or any hint on any effort to improve the app... I wish I knew how big the would-be users of this app is, and what percentage find it useless, tolerable, or good. I met another racer today who keeps trying, maybe at his 10th event with it, but has had no real success yet with it.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:46 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

@Joe

yes Porsche seemed to have closed the door on feedback as my earlier channel that gave me betas etc has dried up.
I reached out on LinkedIn to people at Porsche that seemed involved and offered to give my feedback and ideas but the silence is deafening...
I would love to get an email address of a real Porsche Executive...

they are really close to having something amazing but they carefully ignore it...
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just used the app this weekend and it is sooooo much better now. More usable data, popular tracks are on it and you can export videos. (It still is a tad bit buggy, as it didn't save one session and it didn't save the video of another session, but overall, great improvement.)
Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

MarcD147? A review, please?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Default Porsche TPA 2.0 (jan 17) review

I tested the Porsche TPA 2.0 (jan 17) with my GT4 during Sebring Winterfest a week or so ago:

the good:
• Video export works nice and smooth. It provides even the ability to select which laps of a session you want to export; you can copy the folder from your camera folder on your phone to your computer and upload I it that way your you can upload directly from your phone by share it from your camera folder here is a sample:
This is really cool as it allows me to upload 2 laps to youtube and get feedback from my coach even if he is on the other side of the country.
• I like the custom chart ability that allows you to select up to 3 datapoints to show on your phone
• The circuit tool export seems to work well; I don’t know enough of circuit tools to see if the resulting data is similar to what a HD2 produces. I couldn’t figure out how to sync two laps to the exact position. Here is a link to my CT export (https://1drv.ms/f/s!Anops37uFhJhpcENKPpbGi1M__n7TQ 2.4GB) for more experienced CT users to explore and verify (apologies for my driving… PBOC winterfest was not a great experience and it affected my focus and confidence)
• I really like how they show the highest rpm position for a few seconds after a shift
• Lots of new tracks
• I like that it audibly calls out your laptimes and whether its a new personal best using the audio system of the car. I just need to figure out how to pipe that in by helmet integrated audio as its too hard to hear at full throttle and windows open.

Room for improvement:
• It doesn’t show times for previous lap and best lap in session in the video
• I would like to see brake pressure as a number on the pedal
• Show corner vmin and straight vmax in video
• The build in tracks don’t have sectors defines and you cant edit them (even tried export import..)
• Best theoretical lap in a session
• Make lap analysis on the phone easier/faster

I don't have an apple watch so couldn't play with the ability to track heart rate during a session but might need to buy one now

stability seems good although at two sessions it didn't record video just data. not sure whether the iphone or the app caused it but after an iPhone reboot it was fixed. (it happened once but I didn't reboot iPhone till after 2nd session)

All in all a very major improvement and it really increases the bar to consider buying a 3rd party tool.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:44 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

So I got an email from Porsche today -- just a circular marketing thing but it had a pitch for the Track Precision App. The image accompanying the link looks like this:

Am I imagining it or is it tracking heart rate as well as car data there?? Assuming "yes", is that in the present version or is the picture taken from a forthcoming version I wonder?? And of course the other obvious question is what sensor is used for this??
Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

That is in the present version and they use the apple watch to do it. I don't have an apple watch so could test that.

I wonder if you can make it work using a Fitbit etc but not per documentation
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for sharing your data -- I was able to download and suck it into Circuit Tools without any issues -- that's encouraging!

Interesting that they include quite a few signals/channels in there; some of which must be synthetic. I have to believe the OverUndersteer one must be calculated for instance.

Oh and what do you suppose "charisma damper" represents?? Fascinating!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Just judging on how the women behind the cash registers have changed their reactions to me over the years, I think my "charisma damper" has developed enough stiction to freeze the system at full droop....
Old 02-09-2017, 05:32 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
I wonder if you can make it work using a Fitbit etc but not per documentation
If they use HealthKit (which they should), every compatible device that can send heart rate to your phone should work.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Default Android question...

Hi all,
I have the update version, and it seems better... Out of 4 tries, I got two runs, video with the controls and dash overlay. Dunno why the others didn't take... Now, can anyone describe how to get the overlain video exported to my PC? And also the .vbo file, ideally integrated with the video? I'd love to have an automatic transfer to dropbox, or to email them... I went to records and did 'export', but nothing came up asking me wher to send. I did one 'share' and emailed whatever it was to me, but I got a resulting email with no attachment...
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Joe,

I don't haven an iPhone but it should be on the same menu as where you found share.
under records management go to export and you should see the following screen.

chose export data and you get to chose the right format for import into Circuit Tools

Quick Reply: New version of Porsche Track Precision available!