Notices

AIM MXG/MXS new user notes

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM MXG/MXS new user notes

Both the MXG and MXS are very new products - in fact when I ordered mine I was told "you're the first to get one!" There's bound to be issues and AIM is no doubt working to resolve them as fast as possible. That said, I thought I'd start a FAQ for both products.

RS3 sees the dash but the "Transmit" button is grayed out; I can't send new screen configurations
The dash configuration software handles the MXL2, MXG and MXS, and they're each electrically different due to the different displays. What's happening is that you inadvertently selected the wrong model; pick the right model and the Transmit button will go live. Obviously, the PC also needs to be connected to the dash and the dash be powered up.

I off-loaded the configuration that AIM had in the dash but can't change the units
Units (psi, kpa, degrees, etc) are set in User Preferences but apparently don't overwrite units downloaded from the dash. AIM is aware of the issue.

When I configure the dash to display an analog value from the CAN message, the units are stuck in "mv."
"mv" stands for millivolts and in short, you're stuck with it. The only way to have complete control over displayed units and scaling is to run the analog sensor signals into the dash. Even though the values are already in the dash (via CAN) AIM hasn't set up things to properly work with them.

How do I turn off the numeric RPM value and the gear number to free up screen space for other variables?
You can't and for now they're fixed in position and can't be deleted. However, there are many different screen layouts available and three different tach styles. Also, while the screen is "configurable", it doesn't mean that users can move or resize fields on the screen. As of now, AIM supplies about 10 layouts and users can only put variables into fixed-location fields.

I created a custom sensor but it doesn't appear in the "Channels" tab
When you create a sensor, it gets put into the sensor group of similar type. For example, you create a new sensor called "custom oil pressure" of type "pressure." In the "Channels" tab, when you click on one of the available analog inputs, you assign it a sensor. If you choose a sensor of type "pressure", the one you created will appear on the list. (Thanks to Matt for helping me out on this!)

How do I zero the accelerometer values?
In RS3, select "calibrate" or "autocalibrate" - I'm not sure what the difference is and the manual doesn't explain it. (Thanks Peter!)

How do I set up the WIFI?
The hardware is present but the application is still in development.

What do the buttons on the sides of the dash do?
I don't know and I haven't tried pushing them yet. There is currently no explanation in the preliminary manual.

Last edited by kb58; 04-17-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Thanks for this list.

Zero the accelerometers and gyros in the autocalibrate sensor page. Same as download and firmware update page.

I've been selling, installing and tweaking dozens of MXG's and MXL2's since Thanksgiving...

BTW, the firmware is now up to 1.12.54 today.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 AM
kb58
Advanced

I just came back to update my post because someone else just told me the same thing. One question though, does "calibrating" the unit affect anything besides the accelerometer readings? Also, I seem to recall two different calibration selections, like one was "auto calibrate" and the other was simply "calibrate." What's the difference (if I'm not misremembering...)
Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 PM
kb58
Advanced

Here's how to scale a sensor from end to end - an oil pressure sensor for example - because I haven't seen any posts that explain how to do so. In my case I have an AEM Infinity ECU talking to an AIM MXS dash via CAN, so it can be a bit confusing how the scalings change as the variables work their way through the system, but I'll work through it.

The AEM oil pressure sensor outputs 0.5V at zero psi and 4.5V at 100 psi, and the reading feeds into a 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC). "12 bits" means 2^12, or 4096 values.

Most engine and dash ADCs are based upon a 5V range, and the 12-bit conversion means that's spread over 4095 counts. The easiest way to think of it is as a proportion of each value. So for the 0 psi reading:
0.5V / 5V = X / 4096, or 4096 * (0.5 / 5) = 4096 * 0.1, or 409.6, or round up to 410 counts, so now we have the digital value when the sensor reads 0 psi.

For the 100 psi reading, the sensor outputs 4.5V. Using the same equation:
4.5V / 5V = X / 4096, or 4096 * (4.5 / 5) = 4096 * 0.9, or 3686 counts.

So at 0 psi, the ECU sends a value of "410" to the dash, and at 100 psi, it sends "3686." It's up to us to convert these numbers to something meaningful when they arrive at the AIM dash.

At the dash, when "410" arrives, we want to display "0 psi", and when "3686" arrives, we want to display "100 psi." Because the sensor output is linear (a straight line) it means we can use a simple "Y = MX + B" conversion to get what we want. At this point we can either work through the math to find the constants, or we can cheat a bit to save some effort.

In the equation Y = MX + B, "M" is the slope of the line, and slope is defined as "the rise over the run." The "rise" of the sensor is 100 psi, and the "run" is 3686 - 410 = 3276 counts, so the slope, M, is 100 / 3276, or 0.030525. Plugging that back in, Y = 0.030525*X + B, and we use the fact that at 0 psi, the sensor puts out 0.5V, or 410 ADC counts, so when X is "410", Y must be 0, so the final equation to enter into the AIM dash is Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5.

We can double-check our equation for correctness:
Sensor outputs 4.5V at 100 psi, which is 3686 ADC counts.
Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5, or Y = 0.030525*3686 -12.5, or 112.5 - 12.5, or "100."
Sensor outputs 0.5V at 0 psi, which is 410 ADC counts.
Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5, or Y = 0.030525*410 -12.5, or 12.5 - 12.5, or "0."

PS: In the MXS, variables in analog channels of the CAN message are always displayed with millivolt ("mv") units. Hopefully AIM will get that sorted so that users can assign their own units to analog sensor readings.

Last edited by kb58; 04-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Caddell
Instructor

Originally Posted by kb58
Here's how to scale a sensor from end to end - an oil pressure sensor for example - because I haven't seen any posts that explain how to do so. In my case I have an AEM Infinity ECU talking to an AIM MXS dash via CAN, so it can be a bit confusing how the scalings change as the variables work their way through the system, but I'll work through it.

The AEM oil pressure sensor outputs 0.5V at zero psi and 4.5V at 100 psi, and the reading feeds into a 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC). "12 bits" means 2^12, or 4096 values.

Most engine and dash ADCs are based upon a 5V range, and the 12-bit conversion means that's spread over 4095 counts. The easiest way to think of it is as a proportion of each value. So for the 0 psi reading:
0.5V / 5V = X / 4096, or 4096 * (0.5 / 5) = 4096 * 0.1, or 409.6, or round up to 410 counts, so now we have the digital value when the sensor reads 0 psi.

For the 100 psi reading, the sensor outputs 4.5V. Using the same equation:
4.5V / 5V = X / 4096, or 4096 * (4.5 / 5) = 4096 * 0.9, or 3686 counts.

So at 0 psi, the ECU sends a value of "410" to the dash, and at 100 psi, it sends "3686." It's up to us to convert these numbers to something meaningful when they arrive at the AIM dash.

At the dash, when "410" arrives, we want to display "0 psi", and when "3686" arrives, we want to display "100 psi." Because the sensor output is linear (a straight line) it means we can use a simple "Y = MX + B" conversion to get what we want. At this point we can either work through the math to find the constants, or we can cheat a bit to save some effort.

In the equation Y = MX + B, "M" is the slope of the line, and slope is defined as "the rise over the run." The "rise" of the sensor is 100 psi, and the "run" is 3686 - 410 = 3276 counts, so the slope, M, is 100 / 3276, or 0.030525. Plugging that back in, Y = 0.030525*X + B, and we use the fact that at 0 psi, the sensor puts out 0.5V, or 410 ADC counts, so when X is "410", Y must be 0, so the final equation to enter into the AIM dash is Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5.

We can double-check our equation for correctness:
Sensor outputs 4.5V at 100 psi, which is 3686 ADC counts.
Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5, or Y = 0.030525*3686 -12.5, or 112.5 - 12.5, or "100."
Sensor outputs 0.5V at 0 psi, which is 410 ADC counts.
Y = 0.030525*Sensor value -12.5, or Y = 0.030525*410 -12.5, or 12.5 - 12.5, or "0."

PS: In the MXS, variables in analog channels of the CAN message are always displayed with millivolt ("mv") units. Hopefully AIM will get that sorted so that users can assign their own units to analog sensor readings.
Couple of things to clear up... but I am on an airplane so I cant provide some nice screen captures :-)

Our AiM ECU protocols simply read and record whatever the ECU manufacturer has included into their CAN stream, this is also true with the unit of the channel. The channels you have found from your ECU stream must be in Mv from the ECU if that is what you are seeing. I can assure you that most channels of data we receive from ECU data streams have units in addition to Mv's.

But if you do find a Mv channel in your ECU stream (or connect any 0-5v sensor that we do not already have in our vast sensor library) we have a pretty simple 'Custom Sensor' function that will create and save any linear or non-linear sensor information and all you need to know is the sensor output voltage at any 2 (or more) values and we will calculate the rest including the ADC counts.

Let me know if you want some more info on the Custom Sensor function and I would be happy to help.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:56 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks for the input, Roger. AEM doesn't have CAN channels dedicated to oil pressure or temperature (or a lot of other readings) so both have to be send across the CAN bus as generic analog channel values.

I need to understand something; are you saying that the ECU sends the variable units? If so it means this units issue is at the ECU end and not the dash... and I apologise for thinking otherwise. It's just that this isn't documented anywhere - how is anyone supposed to know?

I haven't come across this vast sensor library yet - I'll look harder but it's not in the User Manual. I'm curious how it's configured though. Say I find my oil pressure sensor, but since the sensor is connected to the ECU and not the dash, how is that handled?

I'll also try out the custom sensor thing and see how that goes.

So much to learn...
Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 PM
wparente
Intermediate

I am not sure if this helps but this is the data coming over my Can feed and all data reads out properly on the dash and in RS2 without any manipulation.
Bill Parenteau
Attached Images  

Last edited by wparente; 04-09-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:26 PM
kb58
Advanced

Wparente, that's part of my question. Your system is sending a value through the CAN bus, which may or may not get scaled in the dash, and it's getting displayed with the correct units. My question is: where does that three-letter text string "psi" come from? Part of my confusion is the post by Caddell:
Our AiM ECU protocols simply read and record whatever the ECU manufacturer has included into their CAN stream, this is also true with the unit of the channel. The channels you have found from your ECU stream must be in Mv from the ECU if that is what you are seeing.
It "seems" to say that the units are dictated by the ECU, but the engineer in me says that's highly unlikely. Values in CAN packets are just numbers; they aren't volts, or psi, or temperature. Once inside the dash, they may or may not get scaled, then it's displayed, then the units text string is added to the right end of the value. What that text string is should be completely up to the user, be it amps, volts, pressure, temperature, lumens, pounds, etc. My question is: where can I set that string to what I want?

Maybe I should take this offline but I thought it would be helpful to new users (and maybe the factory) to see how new users blunder their way through the setup process. It may well be that they (and many here) are so experienced that it doesn't occur to them that this stuff's not obvious to everyone! I can only think that I'm missing something really obvious

Last edited by kb58; 04-10-2015 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

AEM doesn't have CAN channels dedicated to oil pressure or temperature (or a lot of other readings).

this units issue is at the ECU end and not the dash... and I apologise for thinking otherwise. It's just that this isn't documented anywhere - how is anyone supposed to know?

I haven't come across this vast sensor library yet - I'll look harder but it's not in the User Manual. I'm curious how it's configured though.

Say I find my oil pressure sensor, but since the sensor is connected to the ECU and not the dash, how is that handled?

So much to learn...
I appreciate your curiosity, but you might want to take this offline until you are able to achieve a better understanding of ECU CAN protocol, addressing, analog sensors combinations and how AiM works with that information.

It's an issue with the AEM addressing of the CAN out channels for a variety of information present in the ECU. There may be OP or temp info, but AEM does not provide that information to AiM for AiM to build into their protocol. This is what some channels work and some don't.

The way ECU CAN out addressing works includes measure unit into, so YES, it's an ECU issue and not an AiM issue. You would know that by studying basic protocols and understanding that the generator of information determines what, how and how fast information is sent.

The sensor library is an ever increasing Deop down menu available when building configurations in AiM products when assigning sensors to particular channels. Growing all the time, but also easy to add custom sensors as long as the manufacturer gives you the output curve. I think AEM analog sensors are among the biggest PITA because of the error correction they want you to build in (and at least give you that value on every sensor).

It's very simple. If you choose to accept ECU CAN out, you must add additional analog sensors if you want to capture ADDITIONAL data that doesn't come through on the ECU CAN stream.

There is quite extensive documentation on the AiM-Sportline site, as well as a disclaimer that not all ECU channels are guaranteed.

The ECU manufacturers (for OEM as well as aftermarket) don't share their info with AiM (or other logging companies) and AiM cannot decode EVERY CAN address generated by every ECU. But they do have the most extensive compatibility, BY FAR!

Try MoTeC sometime...
Old 04-10-2015, 01:49 PM
kb58
Advanced

Yes I know all about interface protocols... I'm a hw/sw engineer. The CAN interface spec doesn't have a field for "units" so the issue is within the dash.

I first tried using the Math Channel in RS3 to set up an oil pressure sensor and it worked great - until choosing the channel. As soon as ECU_ADC13 was picked, RS3 instantly limited me to units of "mv" or "V." I then tried setting up a custom sensor but that didn't get far because an input channel couldn't be selected like it could be in the Math Channel.

The issue is that AIM limits the choice of units based upon where the variable comes from, which prevents users from changing it to what they really want. I realize that I can run the oil pressure sensor directly to the dash, but I'd like everything to come through the CAN interface, yet suspect eventually I'll get beaten down enough and will probably do so. Or maybe I'll just scale the variable so that "42" means 42 psi, and when people ask why oil pressure has units of "mv", I'll say it's because the dash forces it to be that way. I just think it's ironic to be using the latest cutting-edge CAN interface and have to run a hard wire to the dash to make it work. I guess I feel a bit as if I have a Porsche GT3 that doesn't hit its claimed top speed and being told by the dealer that I can always walk.

Last edited by kb58; 04-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:35 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some things I log that I duplicate from the ECU CAN stream and directly to the dash. Water temp, oil temp, etc are redundant systems. I expect a bit of difference due to placement of sensors.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:50 PM
kb58
Advanced

My spirit crushed, the analog sensors will be wired directly to the analog inputs on the dash. Somewhat surprisingly, the issues were far from solved.

When creating a custom sensor, where does it appear once it's created? I've looked everywhere for it, in "Channels", in the "Math" pulldown, in the "ECU Stream" tab, and in the "Display" tab - it doesn't appear anywhere. I think there's a fair chance that this is a bug because a buddy with an MXL says it appears on his "Channels" list. It most certainly does not on the MXS.

Also, while AIM provides a list of sensors to choose from, were are the calibration curves? If I pick "0-100 psi MSI", how is it scaled? Are users left to figure it out for themselves?

Also, if "Fuel Level" is selected, what does that provide? What's the scaling? Linear? Curved? Polynomial? The provided sensors list is nearly useless due to a lack of documentation regarding actual scaling. Yes, the MXS is a new product, I get that, but I can't help but get a bit defensive when told that it's all right there in front of me for the choosing. Maybe for the MXL, but not the MXS, not yet at least...

Takeaway notes:
While dash manufacturers tout CAN interfaces, don't count on it to "just work" other than providing engine speed and maybe coolant temperature - everything else will still be "custom." You'll still spend hours fussing with analog sensor scaling just like you did before the CAN bus's hollow promise of a single connector solution.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:04 AM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not I understanding your issue with scaling. If you tell the dash the sensor you are using there is nothing else to do. I have no need to change anything that is coming over the CAN so I can't help you there.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM
kb58
Advanced

Originally Posted by gobuffs
I am not I understanding your issue with scaling. If you tell the dash the sensor you are using there is nothing else to do. I have no need to change anything that is coming over the CAN so I can't help you there.
My sensors don't appear on AIM's list. I "may" be able to use one of the sensors on the list that has the same scaling, but how is anyone to know what that scaling is? The short description is insufficient for guessing its specifications...

As said before, if I create my own custom sensor, it doesn't show up as a sensor to select anywhere I can find, so that avenue is currently unavailable.

Last edited by kb58; 04-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

As said before, if I create my own custom sensor, it doesn't appear on any list, so that avenue is currently unavailable.
This is odd. When I create my own custom sensor using that capability in RS3 software for the new dashes and RS2 for the older equipment and SAVE it, it is propagated and available thereafter in the dropdown menu when setting up channel assignments.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIM MXG/MXS new user notes