Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58
Is there a way to add filtering to incoming ADC variables? My fuel level reading works great... too great, swinging wildly as the fuel sloshes left to right. I'd like to add a filtering factor of at least 100, if not more.
No. There was a filtering method there, but it would not work for what you want to do. For what you want, you need the Iron Canyon box.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:34 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or an RC filter...
Old 08-10-2015, 03:30 PM
kb58
Advanced

Now that I've been using the unit for a few months, an observation: The screen is really reflective, much more so than the DASH2 unit it replaced. Unfortunately it's angled just right so that I see a strong reflection of my (usually white) T-shirt, and it's an open-top car. Adjusting the angle won't help because it would just change what's being reflected. Is there some sort of film I can apply to reduce it? I realize whatever I do is going to make the display "fuzzy", but it's pretty distracting as-is.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:35 PM
kb58
Advanced

Over the last few days I've seen the displayed MAP value start drifting downward over time. I connected the laptop to my ECU and it confirmed that the MAP value (the exact same signal) is correct, yet the dash sees a lower value. I worry that my MXS has a heat-related drift problem; an intermittent connection wouldn't have this symptom. My MAP sensor outputs a signal of 0.5-4.5V and is 50 psi full-scale (344 kpa). At idle, it's normally 23 kpa, but after running for several hours, the dash displays a MAP of 5-15 kpa, yet the ECU is still reading 23 kpa and the engine's running fine. I'll check the wiring but suspect the MXS is going to have to be repaired
Old 08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Default Reflections

My solution to the reflection problem on the MXL2. I have an SRF3 open cockpit and noticed the same thing. I experimented with not directing the dash directly at my white helmet. I moved it down to reflect off of my drivers suit. It's not a perfect solution and would be better if the suit was black but it sure helped a lot. If I lost anything because of the angled view it was more than made up for by lack of reflection. I also went to a polarized set of sunglasses which helped a little but not that much. There doesn't seem to be any polarization in the screen, so there doesn't appear to be any compounding problem with the polarized sunglasses.
Bill Parenteau
Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by wparente
My solution to the reflection problem on the MXL2. I have an SRF3 open cockpit and noticed the same thing. I experimented with not directing the dash directly at my white helmet. I moved it down to reflect off of my drivers suit.
Bill Parenteau
I recommend this angle.
Attached Images  
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-13-2015, 01:18 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions but it's already angled as-shown, around 20 degrees, hence the clear reflection of my chest. Tipping it further in any direction isn't going to help, I'm afraid. I guess I'll look into antireflective films, realizing that it's going to make the pretty display slightly blurry.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:18 PM
kb58
Advanced

I finally got around to updating both the MXS sw and RS3 sw. I saw in the release notes that display dimming is now implemented, "On", "Off", and "Auto." Where are these set? I couldn't find it on any screen. Thanks.

Last edited by kb58; 08-16-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42 AM
CaTTivaSport
3rd Gear

Default MXS costumization

Morning!

I've just installed a MXS dash on some of our offroad protos and I'm setting all the alarms , displays, etc..

Since we mostly run diesel engines our engine usage band is from 1700rpm-3200rpm with Rev Limit about 4000rpm.
Therefore I'm facing some difficulties on scalling the RPM gauge on some displays, specially the one with the big round rev counter in the midle

I would like to have the RPMs starting at 0 and finishing at 4 in the end of the gauge. Does someone know how to do it?
Other issue on this display: on the speed box (where it shows 195 km/h) on the picture, I cannot put other channels but the GPS speed only. Why I cannot put any other channel?

Also.. when I set an alarm, I'm outputing some messages on the display. The bottom bar message. Does anyone knows how to change the color of the bar?

Thanks for your help and support!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by CaTTivaSport
Morning!

I've just installed a MXS dash on some of our offroad protos and I'm setting all the alarms , displays, etc..

Since we mostly run diesel engines our engine usage band is from 1700rpm-3200rpm with Rev Limit about 4000rpm.
Therefore I'm facing some difficulties on scalling the RPM gauge on some displays, specially the one with the big round rev counter in the midle

I would like to have the RPMs starting at 0 and finishing at 4 in the end of the gauge. Does someone know how to do it?
Other issue on this display: on the speed box (where it shows 195 km/h) on the picture, I cannot put other channels but the GPS speed only. Why I cannot put any other channel?

Also.. when I set an alarm, I'm outputing some messages on the display. The bottom bar message. Does anyone knows how to change the color of the bar?

Thanks for your help and support!
The lowest you can make the RPM limit is 6k rpm. I'll put a note in to see if they can add lower in one of the next releases.

The speed box is only set for speed, so you have to put some sort of speed channel in there.

I believe you can change the font color, but I'll have to look. I can't remember it off the top of my head. I think it was Gbuff who has done lots of that.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:13 PM
gobuffs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The lowest you can make the RPM limit is 6k rpm. I'll put a note in to see if they can add lower in one of the next releases.

The speed box is only set for speed, so you have to put some sort of speed channel in there.

I believe you can change the font color, but I'll have to look. I can't remember it off the top of my head. I think it was Gbuff who has done lots of that.
I thought he was asking about the alarm bar at the bottom? I only have seen that red. I don't see a way to change that. You can change font color via an alarm.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I've seen yellow and other colors...
Old 09-09-2015, 07:53 AM
CaTTivaSport
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by gobuffs
I thought he was asking about the alarm bar at the bottom? I only have seen that red. I don't see a way to change that. You can change font color via an alarm.
I can change the font color via an alarm? I'm not understanding what you mean sorry.
If I can the font colour It might help me as well.

I was refering to the bar's color. See this video:

Would be good to have the bottom message bar changing color according to our needs. This way we could match it with the LED colour, which would make everything more intuitive for the driver.

EDIT:
I've just remembered another questions that raised last night while working on the car.. is there any way of protecting the dash data with a password? Is there any mechanism I can use to prevent somebody else rather than me connecting a laptop to the dash and download data and configurations? This would be very very useful!

Thanks! Nuno

Last edited by CaTTivaSport; 09-10-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:09 PM
kb58
Advanced

Default Hmm, sensor readings drifting

Oil temperature runs into the CH2 input, and MAP is read via the CAN interface as "EMS_ENG_LOAD." The ECU is an AEM Infinity. Both of these are odd problems.

Problem 1:
About 3 months ago, MAP started drifting. The reading only drifts at or near idle and reads fine everywhere else. That is, I know as fact that the engine draws 22-24 kpa at idle, yet after about 10 minutes, it'll start reading as low as ~15 kpa, and later, as low as zero - quite an accomplishment. I know it's wrong because the ECU continues reading 22-24 kpa at idle even while the dash is reading wrong. What's very odd is that MAP is delivered to the dash via the CAN bus, and displays correctly when the engine is off (102kpa). Before anyone says that it's obviously a loose wire, all other CAN-sourced values read fine. It didn't used to be this way, and nothing has changed, no wiring fixes, no sw updates.

Problem 2:
Oil temperature recently started displaying "51 deg C" as its lowest reading, even when I know - and the ECU confirms - that it should be room temperature when first started (the problem occurs even with the engine not running). The problem only affects the low end of the reading. That is, once oil temperature *does* get above 51 deg C, it then tracks actual temperature. As with MAP, this all used to work fine - no configuration changes, no firmware updates for either the dash or ECU. Oil temperature is an analog value fed into CH2, but as with the CAN problem, all other analog sensor readings are fine, so there's no connection issues. The ECU reads the same voltage off the same sensor, and it's always fine. If it was a broken wire, it should read max temperature, but doesn't. If it was shorted, it should read zero, but doesn't.

As an experiment, I installed the latest firmware for both the dash and ECU, but not unexpectedly, the problems persist. Anyone else have this happen?

Not knowing who to alert about this, I sent a message to both AiM (Italy) and AiM-Sportline here in California.

Last edited by kb58; 09-27-2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 PM
kb58
Advanced

Oil temperature is fed into CH2, and started reading "51 deg C" when cold. Turns out that the sensor was configured as resistance-based, but because the ECU already provides a pull-up resistor, the dash needs to be set to voltage-based. How on Earth it worked fine for five months and only now started acting up is beyond me. I don't touch the dash configuration unless necessary, but today the sensor type was switched to voltage and the proper look-up table values entered, and it started working... again. Very odd.

The other issue which has been going on even longer is that dash MAP reads low. The ECU always sees the correct value yet the dash reads low, but only at idle. AiM said to check that the dash has the latest code - it does. They also said to connect the sensor ground of the dash to the sensor ground of the sensor, so I connected the two. Got everything buttoned up and started the car, and it idled like crap. I let it warm up and it just kept running worse and worse, so an earlier tune that I knew worked fine was loaded - it ran like crap as well. Then, the light bulb went on, and I remembered having this same problem when I connected the ground of something to the ECU's signal ground - bad idea. Sure enough, disconnected the ground and the engine idled perfectly smooth again. I tried grounding the dash input signal ground straight to the chassis and it didn't make any difference to the displayed value. Also, because it's only MAP that reads wrong, it's hard to understand how a ground problem (which would affect all readings) could be the cause of this.

Quick Reply: AIM MXG/MXS new user notes