Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 759 Likes on 499 Posts

The custom sensors show up under the category you put them in. So if you make a sensor and call it "custom oil pressure" as a pressure sensor, then when you configuring the channels select pressure and you should see "custom oil pressure." If that not working, let me know ow and we can screen share and see what is going on. I have a bunch of sensors in this way and it works great.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:42 PM
kb58
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After setting up and saving a custom sensor called "oil prs", I expected it to appear at the bottom of the "Channels" pull-down. It's not at the bottom of the list (the last entry remains "GPS Speed") nor is it anywhere else on the list.

I *was* able to edit and save the existing analog channel information on the "Channels" list but am apparently unable to add to that list

FWIW I did attempt to contact the AIM configuration experts last Friday but they were at the track. I'll be calling tomorrow.

[Edit] THE LIGHT HAS GONE ON!

Last edited by kb58; 04-12-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:14 PM
kb58
Advanced

THANK YOU MATT!

Yes, it's working the way you describe - I should now be able to proceed! Now you see the confusion new users face, not knowing where to find things. Once it's learned it becomes so engrained that it makes perfect sense to YOU guys, but it isn't described in any of the MXS or RS3 documentation where the new sensors appear.

Thanks again and the whining will cease, for now - though CAN interfaces still have a long way to go.

Last edited by kb58; 04-14-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:42 PM
kb58
Advanced

When I set up a custom sensor for temperature (resistor-type), a pull-up resistor is needed. RS3 allows entering the pull-up resistor value and defaults to 1000 ohms. When I tried changing it to the value I'm using - 2490 ohms - it complained that the value was invalid and grayed-out the calibration curve. By messing around with how the value was input I was able to get it to stop complaining, but the curve remained grayed-out.

The resulting readings "seem" to be correct - at least at room temperature - but the grayed-out curve worrys me. Is there something that has to be done to correct that? (If I set the resistor back to 1000 ohms, the curve stops being grayed out, but 1000 isn't the correct value.)
Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would have to double check, but I believe it stops you from entering resistor values that the system can't deal with.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
kb58
Advanced

Understood, but in this case it doesn't make sense. After entering my sensor resistance values, RS3 showed a 1000 ohm pull-up. However, my sensor counts on a 2490 ohm pull-up (provided by the ECU); increasing the value only does good things - trust me, I'm a hw/sw engineer . It turns out that RS3's error checking is apparently running ALL the time, which causes problems. When the "1000" ohm figure is highlighted and the user starts to enter "2490", as soon as "2" is entered, it replaces the "1000" figure and RS3 instantly complains that "2 ohms" is invalid. Yes it is, but that's because RS3 isn't waiting for the Enter key - after the entire value has been input.

I worked around the problem by adding "2490" to the existing 1000 value, then backspaced over the 1000. That "seems" to work and the displayed temperature seems right (at least at room temperature). However, the plot showing the resistance curve remains grayed out. I'll have to do some testing to see if it's actually working throughout the sensor's range.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kb58
Understood, but in this case it doesn't make sense. After entering my sensor resistance values, RS3 showed a 1000 ohm pull-up. However, my sensor counts on a 2490 ohm pull-up (provided by the ECU); increasing the value only does good things - trust me, I'm a hw/sw engineer . It turns out that RS3's error checking is apparently running ALL the time, which causes problems. When the "1000" ohm figure is highlighted and the user starts to enter "2490", as soon as "2" is entered, it replaces the "1000" figure and RS3 instantly complains that "2 ohms" is invalid. Yes it is, but that's because RS3 isn't waiting for the Enter key - after the entire value has been input.

I worked around the problem by adding "2490" to the existing 1000 value, then backspaced over the 1000. That "seems" to work and the displayed temperature seems right (at least at room temperature). However, the plot showing the resistance curve remains grayed out. I'll have to do some testing to see if it's actually working throughout the sensor's range.
If you change the resistance reading to voltage using the resistor value, does the sensor work? Before RS3, I just used a spreadsheet that I made to calculate voltage values based on the resistor being used.

Are you doing this as an analog channel or trying to work through the CAN channels?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:59 AM
kb58
Advanced

The only way to get scaling and units fixed was to give up on the CAN bus. I use it only for tach and coolant temp.

The resistance/voltage thing is often confused but the two are very related. I'm running the sensor into an ADC input on the dash, which measures voltage. However, because the pullup resistor value is also entered, I don't have to deal with volts since the two resistances form a voltage divider, and since RS3 knows the pullup value, and the sensor resistance, RS3 can figure it out. In fact Roger sent me an article on using this feature - http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...custom-sensors. It says, in part:

Many sensors, including fuel level sensors, some temperature sensors, and measure resistance, not voltage. On those, they require a "pull up" resistor, but the new RS3 sensor configuration helps you out greatly. You can enter the resistance values and it will tell you what size pull up resistor you need. You can also tell it the pull up resistor size if you want to do that as well!
The highlighted part is exactly what I'm doing. It appears to be working yet still has the resistance curve plot grayed-out, but there wasn't any error msg once I figured out how to trick RS3 when entering the value.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The only way to get scaling and units fixed was to give up on the CAN bus. I use it only for tach and coolant temp.

The resistance/voltage thing is often confused but the two are very related. I'm running the sensor into an ADC input on the dash, which measures voltage. However, because the pullup resistor value is also entered, I don't have to deal with volts since the two resistances form a voltage divider, and since RS3 knows the pullup value, and the sensor resistance, RS3 can figure it out. In fact Roger sent me an article on using this feature - http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-a...custom-sensors. It says, in part:

The highlighted part is exactly what I'm doing. It appears to be working yet still has the resistance curve plot grayed-out, but there wasn't any error msg once I figured out how to trick RS3 when entering the value.
I know all about the article - I wrote it. Does the sensor work when you input the different resistor value and have the grayed out graph? If you manually calculate the output voltage using your resistor, input those values into the custom sensor table under using the voltage, does that work?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM
kb58
Advanced

I would have given you credit had your name appeared in the article!

Yes, the sensor works when I input the different (2490 ohm) resistor value, but the graph stayed grayed out. I'll have to go back and see if it still is, or if it's some sort of artifact from the pullup resistor entry error. I have not tried the voltage avenue yet.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The resistance page helps you figure out the best resistor value, but it's really just doing the voltage conversion for you.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:17 PM
kb58
Advanced

Though the grayed-out plot is unresolved, I'll set that one aside.

Next question: How is WIFI setup? There doesn't appear to be any information anywhere other than the line item "It does WIFI" in their manual/advertisement flyer.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Though the grayed-out plot is unresolved, I'll set that one aside.

Next question: How is WIFI setup? There doesn't appear to be any information anywhere other than the line item "It does WIFI" in their manual/advertisement flyer.
WiFi will be enabled in a future firmware update. The 802.11 chip is active and you can see an AP, but there is not yet a way to connect in the software to download or configure yet. The reason why it is taking a while is so we can ALL make sure that IF there are drops, there is error correction so as not to corrupt data or configs. It is coming...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-17-2015, 05:25 PM
kb58
Advanced

Thanks, I've updated the FAQ above.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
kb58
Advanced

Is there a way to add filtering to incoming ADC variables? My fuel level reading works great... too great, swinging wildly as the fuel sloshes left to right. I'd like to add a filtering factor of at least 100, if not more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AIM MXG/MXS new user notes