Notices

AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Is there any update on the AIM Solo DL working with the GT4 (specifically, brake pressure info)?
Old 01-15-2016, 05:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
Is there any update on the AIM Solo DL working with the GT4 (specifically, brake pressure info)?
My understanding is all measures are logged and shown with direct wire CAN, but it will be some time before the OBD-II protocol is updated.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-16-2016, 12:31 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is updating the OBD-II protocol something that can be done as an update to an existing car?
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Is updating the OBD-II protocol something that can be done as an update to an existing car?
The protocols are on the hardware (logger) end. They turn the signals into assigned channels with the proper range, measure and name. They vary according to where you "sniff" or sample the data stream.

None of the manufacturers provide this information in a form that can be written into the hardware (logger) protocols, unfortunately. So the logging manufacturers do their own on whatever cars they can get hold of.

With much more powerful and configurable hardware (MoTeC, for instance), extensive "sniffing" of data packets can yield enough to build a custom protocol, but there is no OBD-II option for these because of limited information and slow refresh rate.

For AiM, which has some of the only (and most extensive) multi-channel protocols in the business, it's on a time available basis to build or update a particular protocol, especially when the information is available through another connection on the same vehicle.

So the solution for the foreseeable future is to use the direct wire CANbus connection on the vehicle and the associated, existing protocol to get the channels and information needed.

When and if AiM can devote resources (and that information may not be available via that connection in the 981, we don't know) to update the 991_981_OBD-II connection protocol, it will be released in a package with all protocols included in RS2 and RS3.

The other issue is that brake pressure comes through on the 991 OBD-II connection, on the existing protocol, so they don't want to break that!
Old 01-16-2016, 06:40 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So the solution for the foreseeable future is to use the direct wire CANbus connection on the vehicle and the associated, existing protocol to get the channels and information needed.
Do you know of anyone who has that working with a GT4 and the AIM Solo DL?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Do you know of anyone who has that working with a GT4 and the AIM Solo DL?
As soon as I find a test subject, I'll let you know, but I have no reason to believe the direct wire connection and protocol will not work, based on previous models and the MoTeC protocol derived from the race cars.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:48 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter, are you still looking for a local GT4 to do the install on? If so, we should cross post to the GT4 forum and see if we can get a member to assist. I know a number of us are ready to adopt this plan once we have it documented and tested.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by katmeho
Peter, are you still looking for a local GT4 to do the install on? If so, we should cross post to the GT4 forum and see if we can get a member to assist. I know a number of us are ready to adopt this plan once we have it documented and tested.
Yes, I need someone in the Raleigh-Durham area. No more than 90 minutes and I can assure them that this is not injurious to the car.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Cameron from AiM took my obd test data and sent it to the head of ECU development in Italy. Says he'll let me know what they find out.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Cameron from AiM took my obd test data and sent it to the head of ECU development in Italy. Says he'll let me know what they find out.
Excellent! Thanks for helping get us the goods!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cameron, Robbie, Roger and all the good people at AiM have forwarded this to Stefano and Enrico in Italy some time ago (several weeks).

It is but one of many, many issues that are reported and discussed on internal communications between the manufacturer, worldwide distributors and major dealers for the constantly updated "want list" and bug reports.

Part of the difficulty is that AiM-SPORTLINE Italy and the US importer/distributor, AiM Sports, aren't in the field and at the race track enough to vet every single protocol. So they rely on active dealers who are like Jerry, Matt, myself, Dave Ferguson, Chris in Arizona, Dr. Dave in Chicago and a few others to test existing as well as beta releases of RS2 and RS3, as well as all the protocols that are included within those downloads.

As noted before, the 991_981_OBDII protocol as it exists yields all channels listed for the protocol off the 991, and is missing brake pressure, all four wheel speeds and fuel level on 981's at this time.

It is my untested belief that the direct wire CAN protocol for the 981 GT4 DOES work, and I will confirm this as soon as possible.

While I know that everyone would like the plug and play, ease of use of the OBDII connection for these measures in the GT4, it is going to be awhile before this can be addressed.

Heck, I remember not long ago when only the most very basic measures (throttle pedal position, RPM and water temp) came through OBDII for ANY Porsche and NO information came through for the Bosch ECU equipped 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 variants!

Far more folks will benefit from work continuing on an RS3 Analysis release that could integrate video within the data window, already synced.

But you guys will definitely be told the fix, as soon as (and if) one is released!
Old 01-18-2016, 03:58 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Peter, I was unaware you had sent my files on. CAN doesn't interest me for the GT4 due to the splicing and I am fine waiting for an OBD solution if/when it comes. The data that is available currently is fine for now and with any luck may get better someday. I just want to help move things along if there is anything I can do.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Peter, I was unaware you had sent my files on. CAN doesn't interest me for the GT4 due to the splicing and I am fine waiting for an OBD solution if/when it comes. The data that is available currently is fine for now and with any luck may get better someday. I just want to help move things along if there is anything I can do.
Do you have to splice with AIM's CAN solution? Vbox uses this, so I'm wondering if AIM has something similar:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/usastore/...te-and-VBOX-HD
Old 01-18-2016, 04:33 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Do you have to splice with AIM's CAN solution? Vbox uses this, so I'm wondering if AIM has something similar:

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/usastore/...te-and-VBOX-HD
That's pretty cool! I'm sure Peter or someone can answer for sure but from what I have seen it is splicing in wires, at least on the 981 chassis anyways.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Eric, I had a chance to go to the dealer and test several cars, gathering information in November and December. I did aslo forward yours along.

It's in the Italian's hands now...

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL Brake pressure 981