Notices

Data Best Practices

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 02:03 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
When you do, order a RETAIL packaged Class 10 SD card for best results and reliability.

I recommend the card manufacturer used for supplying the small capacity cards often included in the cameras, Transcend. Specifically, I use: Amazon.com: Transcend 32 GB High Speed 10 UHS Flash Memory Card TS32GSDU1E (up to 45 MB/s, 300x): Computers & Accessories
Whatever you do, get a retail brand from a trusted source. Way too many counterfeits on the market to trust the likes of Ebay on these.

I've had good luck Microcenter's store brand cards as well as Sandisk.

-Mike
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I want to keep this thread going.

I would also add to make sure you review your data after every session. A quick review of battery voltage, oil pressure, temps, etc can make sure you spot a problem early before it hurts the car or costs you a session.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Any tips on viewing data in the sunlight? Anti-glare screens?

On motec, I use the black theme which helps see the squiggly lines easier.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sit somewhere inside
Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I want to keep this thread going.

I would also add to make sure you review your data after every session. A quick review of battery voltage, oil pressure, temps, etc can make sure you spot a problem early before it hurts the car or costs you a session.
Another reason is to avoid wasting precious track time finding an issue with ones driving because the knucklehead (me) didn't look at the data until Monday afternoon.

Derp.

-Mike
Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Hats off to Matt for his contribution to this week's Speed Secrets Weekly! Nice recap of Best Practices...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-14-2015, 05:32 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hats off to Matt for his contribution to this week's Speed Secrets Weekly! Nice recap of Best Practices...
+1
Old 04-14-2015, 09:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like the article.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes read Matt's contribution, thanks.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM
wparente
Intermediate

Default Best Pratice

Without a doubt a best practice would be anytime Roger Caddell from Aim is in town go to his seminar. I sat through 2 days and it was well worth it even if I knew 1/2 the stuff discussed. Roger is a very open and forthcoming with facts and even occasionally throws in an opinion here and there. The one thing that you soon learn is that this is more than a job for Roger, it's an avocation as well. He is filled with enthusiasm as well as knowledge and above all truly a nice guy despite being a nerd at heart. Thanks Roger

Bill Parenteau
Old 04-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wparente
Without a doubt a best practice would be anytime Roger Caddell from Aim is in town go to his seminar. I sat through 2 days and it was well worth it even if I knew 1/2 the stuff discussed. Roger is a very open and forthcoming with facts and even occasionally throws in an opinion here and there. The one thing that you soon learn is that this is more than a job for Roger, it's an avocation as well. He is filled with enthusiasm as well as knowledge and above all truly a nice guy despite being a nerd at heart. Thanks Roger

Bill Parenteau
Great one. Roger is great. I would also add to do any data webinars you can find. They pop up occasionally and I have learned a ton from them. One webinar that repeats and is worth every penny is John Block's sessions at www.auto-ware.com. If you do them, make sure you tell him I sent you!
Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM
wparente
Intermediate

I have done John's webinar which was also great. However they are two different experiences. John's are more structured with a specific agenda to be covered in the 5 one hour sessions which forces a little faster pace. You know where you are going to end up because of the addenda. Roger's class (at least the one I was at) was in person and was less structured which tended to go where the class interests lie. Rogers class was intended to be more general (not road race specific) where Johns was hard core road race specific. Of interest to me was some of the insight to the how and why of the AIM factory thought process because of his personal association with AIM in Italy.
Both John and Roger were excellent instructors, which means you can't go wrong by following the advice of either. Both were amazingly willing to go the extra mile to help understand the material presented, which as you know can sometimes be as clear as mud !
Bill Parenteau
Old 05-08-2015, 10:56 PM
PaddyMcP
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwasilko
With more flexible dashes (like the MXL2/MXG) and Motec, what do you think about when you're setting up different pages for different uses?

What goes on a page for qual vs. race vs. diagnostics?
Hi Jeff!

My dash gives me 3 pages and I use a similar strategy. My Warm up page is diagnostic. Put EVERY sensor in on that page. Even if you think you'll never need to see the value. At first I just put sensors I thought were neat to see on the dash… and I had a ton of empty spaces. Then one day I just decided to load it up with every single sensor currently installed on the car. Sure enough, months later we were testing - I lost the 5V feed to my throttle position sensor (god knows how). What would have driven a team around the bend - was diagnosed and repaired in 20 minutes.

I do a completely different configuration for sprints vs enduros. Enduros - diagnosis on one page. On the next I have fuel level, laps remaining on fuel, fuel pump status, reserve pump status, lift pump current draw, time remaining on fuel, and lap time, the other page shows race info similar to a sprint, lap gain loss, lap time, etc.

I never show data I don't need to know on a race page. I always let the alarms do their job. If the water isn't boiling - I don't need to see 170 degree water temp. Hide that info and let the alarm go off when it's needed. Same for oil temp, gearbox temp etc. When the car is healthy - I want to try and go quicker and need channels displayed that can help do that - lap time, gain loss, etc.

There is a tremendous advantage in having a good configuration loaded in the dash. I can only image how powerful some of the pro engineers are with this stuff. Sky is the limit.

I'm terrible at this stuff but me and my codrivers get a ton out of even the most basic data.

-Paddy
Old 05-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PaddyMcP
I never show data I don't need to know on a race page. I always let the alarms do their job. If the water isn't boiling - I don't need to see 170 degree water temp. Hide that info and let the alarm go off when it's needed. Same for oil temp, gearbox temp etc. When the car is healthy - I want to try and go quicker and need channels displayed that can help do that - lap time, gain loss, etc.

There is a tremendous advantage in having a good configuration loaded in the dash. I can only image how powerful some of the pro engineers are with this stuff. Sky is the limit.
I try to instill this is people all the time. Having good alarms allows the driver to focus on driving, not reading gauges or analyzing engine temps/pressures/etc. I go one step further and put critical items on one side (oil pressure, coolant temp, water pressure, etc) and information on the other side (trans temp, oil temp, etc) that you want to know. After that, use the dash for shift lights, predictive time, and when an alarm comes on.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM
PaddyMcP
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I try to instill this is people all the time. Having good alarms allows the driver to focus on driving, not reading gauges or analyzing engine temps/pressures/etc. I go one step further and put critical items on one side (oil pressure, coolant temp, water pressure, etc) and information on the other side (trans temp, oil temp, etc) that you want to know. After that, use the dash for shift lights, predictive time, and when an alarm comes on.
Great thread Matt…

One step farther on the alarms…

Don't get hung up on the term alarm. It can do much more. Think of it as a notification on a channel change or condition. A great example - we had a driver who wanted to be reminded when he was 30 minutes into a 2 hr stint. He said call it in on the radio if you don't mind.

We set the dash to give him a message that automatically cleared itself to notify him he had been running for 30 min - then an hr, then 1.5 hrs. The crew chief with the radio was probably off taking a **** 30 minutes in…

Want to know if that previous was the fastest time of the session? Set an alarm to tell you you just ran a lower value than your reference lap.

Question for Matt and Peter - what are some super simple math channels you can create for driver to co driver performance comparisons. I always seem to get lost when creating new math channels in MoTec's i2. (I'm limited to i2 Standard )

Quick Reply: Data Best Practices