Notices

First Porsche rant (ever)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 07:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Have you considered a ceramic coating over your paint?

Our RS arrived with paint defects that were evident as the shipping wrapper was removed (we removed it). Specifically told the dealer NOT to wash it. Had our paint correction/clear film/ceramic coating guy do a full paint correction, then wrap, then ceramic over the entire car plus wheels (for ease of washing).

Ceramic makes a huge difference in how clean the car stays, and how easy it is to wash.

If you go with ceramic coating after paint correction you'll achieve a longer lasting result with perfect paint and it's not nearly as expensive as a wrap. It doesn't protect like a wrap but it keeps the paint nice (other than chips/road rash)

Our guy uses Opticoat but there are several on the market with anywhere from 5 - 10 year warranties. We have it on the GT4 too, and are very happy with the result.

We also only hand wash, using foam cannon, microfiber wash mitt that is kept meticulously clean (and changed often) - two bucket method with grit grid, blow dry with master blaster and if needed a clean microfiber towel for a tiny bit of touch up. We also use de-ionized water which significantly reduces (almost eliminates) water spots.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:59 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

mpower4life, thanks for your comments. I went with the brush because it was advertised as being the softest, safest method. I have micro mitts but don t use them for the reason stated.

needmoregarage, thanks also. I have applied Cquartz a year ago. Worked well on another car but didn t help much with the Pana. It s a lease so I won t apply this late into it. Just ordered foam cannon, two buckets with grit grates. I blow dry and micro towel lightly.

All, after so more research I am thinking the marring is coming during the wash. Car is used in heavy salt/sand winter environment and the grit on car is heavy after a storm etc...I wash at least once a week BTW. So I am going to try and stop this by pre washing (foam cannon, pressure washer) and then two bucket method to keep that grim down in the water. I am considering using the mitts instead of brush also??
BUT to keep my complaint alive , I have other vehicles that do not require this type of care to look good. Porsche paint is not forgiving at all IMO.
Ideas and thoughts welcome and appreciated ....
Old 03-28-2017, 09:25 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely need to get as much dirt and grime off the car before touching the paint with anything. I would recommend a product that will break down the grime and iron filings such as Gyeon Iron prior to your wash. (electric powerwasher is a key investment) this will knock down a lot of the built up grime on the surface negating having to rub all that badness into the paint. those little bits are hard and nasty and will dig into the paint when you drag your wash mitt across the panel. Also always be aware of not putting pressure down as that is a killer. Weekly maintenance is ideal and will be easier to keep up and keep the nooks and crannies from building up junk as well. I do this for a living by the way.... Just troubleshooting and trying to help out
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks again, I have a shop with a power wash that I never use. I will now. also research showed me that a boars hair brush is best as many say because it doesn t drag and hold dirt.. Don t know but I did learn that the brush needs a pre soak which I haven't done along with two bucket method. again my bad.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...iber-mitt.html

Quick Reply: First Porsche rant (ever)