Notices

First Porsche rant (ever)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 04:47 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default First Porsche rant (ever)

After two Porsches and many years here I have my first complaint about Porsche. The Paint. Some will identify right away and others will not have a clue what I m seeing or saying.
I was at a Porsche dealer the other day confirming my thoughts. Looking at dozens of new and newer cars I found that under the right light and angle they all showed signs of micro marring (swirls etc). Even some new cars which may have been washed a few times. Seems like even when washing and drying correctly the Porsche paint is subject more than other cars I ve owned. I do lots of detailing, some for money as a hobby and am known for perfect detailed cars. I have posted both my Porsches with pics of full paint correction to removes these but only find them to return very quickly as I wash at least once a week. The saleman then starts showing me new Porsches that have been fully wrapped with clear film at a cost of $6 grand to prevent this. Nonsense IMO. The paint should be a little more durable and forgiving IMO.
I have other brands with 100K miles and have never had to polish or cut the marring and swirls. I made the mistake of getting a dark color against my best judgement this time and will probably use the lease pull ahead program to get out at first chance. Sorry for the neg post but would hope Porsche would read these forums and identify the issue. Doing a Goggle search I see others have posted the same about Porsche on various sites. I do enjoy the Pana and drive this car (unlike others) no matter the weather and conditions. Great driving cars for sure... end of rant.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 AM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what color were your other cars? Black cars have soft paint regardless of make.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:57 AM
cerbomark
Racer

911 was white, but even so, they had the paint marring, you just didn t notice.
I looked at all colors at the dealer and even a brand new white Pana had some wash/dry marks.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

so you drove other cars for 100k miles with a nary a swirl mark? GTFO
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Yes, I still have two Subi s... Had 08 that I traded and it had no paint defects at 100K. Never touched it with polish or a machine. Also just traded a 14 Subi with 50K, same, no polish no machine. I can go on.
Two Porsches both under 10K have needed polishing for marring. Same conditions and care.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Some of that is likely the dealers fault. Dealers aren't exactly "careful" with their washing techniques and I wouldn't doubt if they introduced the marring and swirls into the paint during prep.

I had a new Basalt Black Porsche delivered to me in 2011 and I specifically told them to only remove the wrapping and not perform any type of further prep on the paint. The car arrived without a defect and I performed my own prep. I had it covered in a bra because I don't know of any car on the planet that can take a hit from stones on the road without being damaged. 6 years later my car still looks perfect and has only seen the buffer once (mild polish). Obviously YMMV
Old 03-28-2017, 03:41 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

what color were the Subis?
Old 03-28-2017, 03:47 PM
cerbomark
Racer

dark brown, white, tungsten .... I understand that lighter colors hide these swirls but I put special lighting on even the light colors to identify any marring.
So I am figuring out a way to min this effect and just ordered the torq snow cannon, and I will use the two bucket method with a grit grate. I already use the best boar brush that money can buy and blow dry and finish with micro towels.
Time to re polish and start again.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:54 PM
cerbomark
Racer

here is a link of some pics, the door view shows the marring the best... Hard to capture on a phone camera that I have.
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...mera-pics.html
Old 03-28-2017, 04:32 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

yes, ive seen Subis, BMWs, Audis, etc.... come in with paint in better shape than Porsches, etc... if no one touches them and are properly handled through transportation and at the dealership. I just saw some posting about Porsches' margins being significantly higher than mercedes, bmw... etc... a lot of high end makers are forgoing refinement in what i believe as part of an effort to maximize profit. However, some colors, especially metallics, will hide even under proper LED lighting compared to a non metallic. and are you taking a boars hair brush to the paint? You should see Paint to sample Porsches or Ferraris.... yikes.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:36 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Yes, boars hair brush is the softest thing I ve felt... It has the connection to run water thru it but I don t often use it that way. The reason for this brush is that my research shows it s the safest you can wash the paint with. Doesn t hold and drag dirt.
LOL, Heck, I use the Walmart pole auto brush on my other rides.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

We have a 2015 Highlander in Pearl White which to me is as good as silver when it comes to hiding defects. I do nothing special to care for the paint and it still looks perfect. My 2015 Volvo on the other hand looks awful, it's metallic black! Black and Dark Blue colors tend to show any and all defects and they're also the first to appear dirty. But when they're properly cleaned/polished/cared for they are beautiful.

I gave up on my Volvo, if I tried to keep it looking swirl free I would run out of paint to polish in less than a year. I'll let it go and polish it again in a year from now to get it looking good and let it go for another couple of years. I double I'll ever get another dark colored daily driver.

Nice job polishing out the Panomera, definitely use a 2 bucket wash and you might consider using a high end wool mitt for washing.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

I personally wouldn't take a brush to the paint as anything of that nature can easily induce marring and scratching.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:16 PM
cerbomark
Racer

http://www.autogeek.net/moor36bohawa.html

not exact brush but this type on a wand that can be used with water attachment????
Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 PM
mpower4life
Cruisin'

yeah I wouldn't use that on paint. what are you trying to get off the paint with it that can't be done with the right type of wash mitt? Putting pressure down with anything on paint like that will definitely marr it up. Heck, you can marr it up with using a soft microfiber if not extremely careful.

Quick Reply: First Porsche rant (ever)