Notices

The Paint Coating Triangle: What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shineshop
No certifications needed to express your opinion. Actually having a formal education in the subject you are arguing about definitely helps though. It's obvious you're passionate about the subject but I think you could probably find a less confrontational way of expressing your opinion in the pursuit of having a conversation the other forum members can actually benefit from.
What formal education are you talking about. Did you go to detailing university, did you get a 4 year degree in paint correction and coatings? I have enough experience in all aspects of working with paint than most of the people who are so called professional detailers. If you are a true detailer I would like for you to send me the Xpel or Suntek printed information that recommends that a coating should be used after installation. Sorry if I am confrontational but I don't like Fake News!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I did not call you a liar. I take your side of the story and I don't know how you conduct businesses. My point is simple, there is a lot of hype and misleading information even in the article that you posted which to me is a promoting piece about coatings. I have another issue regarding coatings on top of PPF. Most of the installers make you believe that you need a coating application to protect the PPF. That is a total lie. Just keeping it real.

What formal education are you talking about. Did you go to detailing university, did you get a 4 year degree in paint correction and coatings? I have enough experience in all aspects of working with paint than most of the people who are so called professional detailers. If you are a true detailer I would like for you to send me the Xpel or Suntek printed information that recommends that a coating should be used after installation. Sorry if I am confrontational but I don't like Fake News!
I, nor the other poster, has said you need to coat PPF. That is an option folks have. Who are you even arguing with on that?

But for the record, Xpel has printed media here about the ability to use protections such as coatings, waxes and sealants. Anyone that has attended their and others PPF training courses(I've only attended 4 PPF training course...though, professionals over North America pay me to give them advanced PPF training onsite...so, I kinda actually give the training to some who want to elevate their installations... -whatever that is worth) know that the film manufacturers encourage protecting the PPF with a wax, sealant or coating. Coatings are an option for PPF just like for paint. They do not recommend a specific product, other than their own white label sealant anymore than Porsche recommends you to use only 1 kind of tire for your car. No one said they would recommend a specific product they do not sell. But because you bring it up, you should know they have no problem with coatings over PPF.

And because the name Suntek was brought up. Here's a video demonstrating the self-healing abilities with a coating over that as well.

But I can tell you this. I have had conversations at length with Xpel about the viability of coatings over PPF and their stance is just as noted. When properly applied, they have no problem with it and it does not void the warranty. [edit: recalling back, some have told me they think a coating over PPF makes a lot of sense and they love it] So there is no room for a misunderstanding: No one here has said anyone must get a coating over PPF anymore than they must get a coating over paint(which no one has done).

And you absolutely called my honesty into question before by saying that I have to promote them and go onto say I spread propaganda/hype -which is no more than saying I will say whatever because I profit from my career.

With a very thin veil, you are again doing the same in the above comment. You specifically said I am spreading "hype and misleading information" inside my article(and again, you are calling my ethics and validity into question with your fake news comment). I am not going to ask you for specifics(as I would otherwise openly invite) because at this point I recognize you aren't here to openly nor respectfully discuss anything. You are grinding an ax. This thread is now down in the mud because it is a completely unilateral conversation and your "keeping it real" is no more than you being inconsiderate and refusing to drop it even after I have given respect to you and your opinion. You do not like coatings. Every soul reading this gets that. It is super clear. If you would be so kind as to return the respect, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 02-26-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:41 AM
Shineshop
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What specifically are you calling out as "fake news"? Please include citation to support your conclusions in your answer please and not rely on your anecdotal experiences or "stuff you read on the internet". I'll happily agree with you if you can back up what you're saying.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 AM
trucheli
Pro

What specifically are you calling out as "fake news"? Please include citation to support your conclusions in your answer please and not rely on your anecdotal experiences or "stuff you read on the internet". I'll happily agree with you if you can back up what you're saying.
Modern paint coatings provide owners with a thicker and harder membrane that offers better protection, along with a glossier and more lustrous paint finish that is easier to maintain. Paint coating systems can last years versus weeks to months for waxes and sealants under normal driving conditions.

This is what I call fake news.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 AM
Shineshop
AutoX

Modern paint coatings provide owners with a thicker and harder membrane that offers better protection, along with a glossier and more lustrous paint finish that is easier to maintain. Paint coating systems can last years versus weeks to months for waxes and sealants under normal driving conditions.

This is what I call fake news.
Okay and where is your evidence that proves contrary to what was posted? Or was that left out intentionally because you have none? If you're going to call someone a liar you better have the evidence to back it up.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:44 AM
trucheli
Pro

Okay and where is your evidence that proves contrary to what was posted? Or was that left out intentionally because you have none? If you're going to call someone a liar you better have the evidence to back it up.
If you are a true professional you would have to agree that wax would render a glossier surface compared to a grabby coating. Paint would have a better luster and depth with wax than with a coating. Do you want me to continue?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Shineshop
AutoX

If you are a true professional you would have to agree that wax would render a glossier surface compared to a grabby coating. Paint would have a better luster and depth with wax than with a coating. Do you want me to continue?
So you are once again falling back to your "opinion" and not basing anything on actual facts? Nobody would argue a "wax" can look incredible on paint but that wasn't the point of the article that JC posted. You're arguing from an emotional standpoint with nothing to substantiate what you're claiming and since you have nothing to contribute to the conversation aside from apparently arguing for arguments sake, we're done here. Have a great weekend.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:17 AM
trucheli
Pro

So you are once again falling back to your "opinion" and not basing anything on actual facts? Nobody would argue a "wax" can look incredible on paint but that wasn't the point of the article that JC posted. You're arguing from an emotional standpoint with nothing to substantiate what you're claiming and since you have nothing to contribute to the conversation aside from apparently arguing for arguments sake, we're done here. Have a great weekend.
The article is just another big misleading opinion without showing actual facts.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Shineshop
AutoX

The article is just another big misleading opinion without showing actual facts.
No offense, yuo're asserting that a wax can provide the same protection as a ceramic glass coating which is absolutely ridiculous and flat out wrong. Waxes and paint sealants are organic compounds that can easily be damaged or removed chemically and do not provide good protection against acids. Neither product adds any hardness to the paint system either. Here's an example of a glass coating's ability to resist acid

Can a wax do that? It can't and given that any true wax will typically start evaporating almost immediately due to it's extremely low melting point making any comparison between the two products is an extremely flawed comparison. You don't have the foggiest notion about the subject that you're attempting to appear so educated in. I'm finished debating with you since you have absolutely nothing intelligent to add to this discussion.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:11 PM
trucheli
Pro

No offense, yuo're asserting that a wax can provide the same protection as a ceramic glass coating which is absolutely ridiculous and flat out wrong. Waxes and paint sealants are organic compounds that can easily be damaged or removed chemically and do not provide good protection against acids. Neither product adds any hardness to the paint system either. Here's an example of a glass coating's ability to resist acid

Can a wax do that? It can't and given that any true wax will typically start evaporating almost immediately due to it's extremely low melting point making any comparison between the two products is an extremely flawed comparison. You don't have the foggiest notion about the subject that you're attempting to appear so educated in. I'm finished debating with you since you have absolutely nothing intelligent to add to this discussion.
Where did I talk about better protection?
"wax would render a glossier surface compared to a grabby coating. Paint would have a better luster and depth with wax than with a coating"
Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 PM
trucheli
Pro

Where did I talk about better protection?
"wax would render a glossier surface compared to a grabby coating. Paint would have a better luster and depth with wax than with a coating"
Besides I can get the same protection with a sealant and wax combination for any real life contaminants without having to buy into the hype of overpriced coatings. I don't buy into overpriced waxes either.
Keep pushing your fancy coatings and special applications. You are not fooling me!
Old 02-26-2017, 02:22 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Now that that is out of the way...

if anyone else has any questions, feel free to fire away!

Quick Reply: The Paint Coating Triangle: What is it?