Notices

best long lasting final product/sealant for 997.1 guards red?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Default best long lasting final product/sealant for 997.1 guards red?

I hear that some cars respond differently to different products due to color, year (I would assume the waterbased paints respond different that oil), etc....

That being said, I think I have a pretty good idea regarding what products and technique I will use to correct my paint. What I am still unsure about is the final step. I hear so many different claims and hype, and 99% of them are commercial claims to sell you a product. So in real world, anyone have an idea what might work best for long lasting sealant for my particular application?

I have McGuiars M26 carnuba wax at the house, but that isn't very long lasting and now I am hearing that all these new ceramic coatings look better and last longer that the synthetic polymers that were popular 5-10 years ago.

TIA
Old 11-08-2016, 09:20 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Self-applied or by a detailed?
I really like the Sonax Polymer Netshield I used on my dark silver daily driver this year. Phil recommended it for my race car and I also used it on the Mini and has held up incredibly well since applying it in June.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Look into some of the nano coatings like OptiCoat, CQuartz, and others. The problem with them may be that the professional versions are only sold to authorized detailers and installers. The "retail" version just won't last as long and have no warranty. For example, Optimum Gloss Coat (I use on my wheels and calipers.....a 10 c.c. syringe is about $60.....barely enough product) is a very-very good product. It's basically a watered down version of OptiCoat Pro.

Maybe find a local, high quality, detailer in your area. Work with him/her. You do the heavy lifting, all the prep and paint correction, and they do the final coat nano coating. Just an idea.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Self-applied or by a detailed?
I really like the Sonax Polymer Netshield I used on my dark silver daily driver this year. Phil recommended it for my race car and I also used it on the Mini and has held up incredibly well since applying it in June.
sekf applied. Thanx for the recommendation. I'll look into that.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Look into some of the nano coatings like OptiCoat, CQuartz, and others. The problem with them may be that the professional versions are only sold to authorized detailers and installers. The "retail" version just won't last as long and have no warranty. For example, Optimum Gloss Coat (I use on my wheels and calipers.....a 10 c.c. syringe is about $60.....barely enough product) is a very-very good product. It's basically a watered down version of OptiCoat Pro.

Maybe find a local, high quality, detailer in your area. Work with him/her. You do the heavy lifting, all the prep and paint correction, and they do the final coat nano coating. Just an idea.
Wait, so now we not only have to go to a Dr to get a prescription refill, but I can't get a paint sealant from a manufacture? What, does it require some EPA approved equipt to apply the product with or some special secret technique?

ok, so let's pretend I can get any drug, I mean product I want, because we all know that with the right connections or money, any product can be bought. What would you recommend then? (Assuming there is no special process to apply it)
Old 11-08-2016, 10:32 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
ok, so let's pretend I can get any drug, I mean product I want, because we all know that with the right connections or money, any product can be bought. What would you recommend then? (Assuming there is no special process to apply it)
Here's one place to buy the Optimum Gloss Coat. I'd guess you'd need about 4 syringes to do a complete Porsche. Plus one more for the wheels and calipers. Ask Phil (owner) for insight and confirmation.

These products are actually very easy to apply. It's more about technique and skill, than it is labor and effort. Basically, wipe on, let flash, visual check, final wipe. Proper temps and humidity are important, as well as cure time and protection from elements. Proper paint correction and super clean surface (wash, clay, polish, wash, then alcohol) prior to OGC are paramount.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...oss-coat-10-cc
Old 11-08-2016, 07:14 PM
PolishedDetail
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the posts about ceramic coatings over a wax or sealant. You literally can't go wrong with any ceramic coating. They are going to outlast any wax or sealant if applied correctly. That is the key to any product, using it properly.

You can have the best House Of Kolor paint available, but if the vehicle is not prepped correctly or sprayed correctly, it may look like Earl Sheib painted it. Many of the higher end coating companies are going to have a top shelf product only available to certified professionals. They sell a version to the public that has a very low silica or active ingredient content. This is so you don't create a disaster out of your paint by not leveling fast enough, or leveling too fast and leaving little if any protection. There are many reasons for the professional installation of the higher end coatings. The number one reason is probably that they warranty their top shelf products. The products are always going to be only as good as the installer. If the surface was not prepped properly it will not properly bond. If it is not leveled properly, it can look like someone smeared oil all over your car in an inconsistent pattern.

I chose to only offer Ceramic Pro coating in my shop after lots of research and testing of products. I personally just really like the company and product. They do not offer a retail version you can buy. They must be installed by professionals. Trust me, there is a good reason for it. This is probably the most difficult product to install even for professionals. But, properly installed, it looks absolutely amazing.

So, if you want a true ceramic coating that will last for longer then 6 months to a year, you will need to seek a professional grade product installed by a professional. Do some research on which coating may fit your needs and goals best. Don't pay attention to hype or opinions. Look for solid facts about each coating, coating company and the detailer certified to install it.

If you're not looking to make that type of investment just yet. I would recommend Sonax netshield or my personal favorite Shine Supply Clutch Silica spray. They are great products available to retail consumers. They are super easy to install and they do contain a small amount of silica. They both may say that they last up to a year. I would recommend reapplying every 6 months to be safe.

Hope that helps a little
Old 11-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

For OTC purchase: Menzerna Powerlock
For a professional only solution: Locate the absolute best professional in your area and go with them. I am partial to Modesta but the number 1 factor in you being satisfied is going to be the person laying their hands on your car. All other things being equal, get Modesta imho.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:13 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

It appears that CQuartz is a consumer product, any opinions on that product?

Quick Reply: best long lasting final product/sealant for 997.1 guards red?