Notices

Prep for a Cross Country Journey - McLaren MP4 Spider - Oakes Detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Oakes Detail
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Prep for a Cross Country Journey - McLaren MP4 Spider - Oakes Detail

This exciting project was brought to me all the way from Washington DC, so that I could properly paint correct, clear wrap, ceramic coat and make some cosmetic upgrades to this Mclaren MP4-12C Spider. This stunning color combo was getting ready for a cross country journey that would end up spanning over 2 months with the owner and over 12k miles after leaving me. I’m here to show you guys the visual transformation it received before being enjoyed by it’s new owner to the fullest! What better way to enjoy your new to you exotic?

This Spider came in with just three thousand miles on it, and while it wasn’t in rough shape, it could be taken up a few notches. Even better so, now benefitting from the added protection it received before going on it’s long trip. I’ll let the pictures take the story from here…

Mclaren Oakes Detail 1
Mclaren Oakes Detail 2

The brakes were standard black, which the owner felt was too plain on such an awesome color combination. So he decided to have us match them to McLaren Orange. We completely degreased, sanded down and etched the calipers then painted them using high heat enamel based primer and base coat, airbrushed the logos and then finished them with a high heat enamel clear. Giving them a completely OEM look! We choose not to go the powdercoat route to avoid having to rebuild the calipers and full brake system service, given the cars plans to go cross country.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 3
Mclaren Oakes Detail 4

While the brakes were being done, the wheels were removed to be completely DeIronized, clayed, polished and then ceramic coated using CQuartz . Below you will see the before and after results!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 6
Mclaren Oakes Detail 7
Mclaren Oakes Detail 8
Mclaren Oakes Detail 9
[url=https://flic.kr/p/NqCsVG] Mclaren Oakes Detail 11
Mclaren Oakes Detail 12 11.
With the wheels and brakes curing, next was preparing the paint to be both clear wrapped and ceramic coated. The paint condition, while wasn’t dire, still needed a full correction to qualify for the desired protection install. The following shows the before condition under powerful LEDs that mimic direct sunlight, then the 50/50 photos and finished non coated paint in the same lighting after the half and half shots.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 13
Mclaren Oakes Detail 14
Mclaren Oakes Detail 15
Mclaren Oakes Detail 16
Mclaren Oakes Detail 17
Mclaren Oakes Detail 18
Mclaren Oakes Detail 19
Mclaren Oakes Detail 20
Mclaren Oakes Detail 21
Mclaren Oakes Detail 22
Mclaren Oakes Detail 23
Mclaren Oakes Detail 27
Mclaren Oakes Detail 28 Mclaren Oakes Detail 29 25.

And with a little bonus of the 50/50 shot on the Key itself

Mclaren Oakes Detail 24

With the paint prepared properly prepared, the clear film install was able to commence. This was a completely custom install to remove all seams and wrap all edges to make it as invisible as possible. Here you can see the initial install and the films appearance after initial install.

Mclaren Oakes Detail 31 Mclaren Oakes Detail 30
Mclaren Oakes Detail 32
Mclaren Oakes Detail 33

Post film install and reprep, the entire body was then coated with CQuartz Finest Ceramic coating in three layers. All painted and clear wrapped surfaces received the coating and was IR cured as shown in the photo below!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 33(1)

Now for the finished result, showing the true gloss and depth that this color has to offer. Starting off with some reflection and full vehicle profile shots inside under fluorescent and LED lighting. Then shown outside under the true test, sunlight!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 34
Mclaren Oakes Detail 35
Mclaren Oakes Detail 36
Mclaren Oakes Detail 37
Mclaren Oakes Detail 38
Mclaren Oakes Detail 39
Mclaren Oakes Detail 41
Mclaren Oakes Detail 42
Mclaren Oakes Detail 43
Mclaren Oakes Detail 48 Mclaren Oakes Detail 45
Mclaren Oakes Detail 46
Mclaren Oakes Detail 49(1)
Mclaren Oakes Detail 50
Mclaren Oakes Detail 51

What better way to end the write up, than with a wave good bye as this MP4 was loaded on to my custom built trailer that is tailored to low, wide exotics to transport it back to Washington DC? After this photo, the car went on to tour the entire US and cover over 12k miles in just two months...if only all exotics were enjoyed the same!

Mclaren Oakes Detail 52

As always, thanks for checking it out. Hope you enjoyed the transformation! There are plenty more exciting threads coming!
-Oakes
Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Stunning result, Nick! The orange calipers were a nice touch.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Oakes Detail
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Brad! They really made the whole exterior pop in my opinion, especially with this color.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:38 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Really well done there. I like the blue and if I ever order a Porsche and go pick it up as opposed to the dealer, there is large chance it will be in blue. The orange calipers are extra nice too and gives the car both a fresh and new look to go with those sparkle wheels.

But now you will have to do it over again and add to the thread in 12,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Prep for a Cross Country Journey - McLaren MP4 Spider - Oakes Detail