Notices

I made a beginner's mistake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I made a beginner's mistake

I have been detailing for more than ten years and I recently purchased a 2015 991 GTS. This is my first time with ventilated seats and I wanted to clean and protect the leather seats. I usually use 1 Einzet Lederpflege' Leather Care and top it off with Leather Master Protection Cream. After pouring a liberal amount on the microfiber applicator I noticed that it was too much and a lot went into the inside of the seat. I have been trying to clean it with a soft brush getting the brittles inside the wholes but I have not able to clean it. I also tried inserting a needle on each hole in order to pick up the residue but did not work either. Any thoughts?
Attached Images   

Last edited by trucheli; 10-28-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Something similar to this:
Amazon.com : Foam Tipped Applicators Poly Shaft 50/pkg : Foam Swabs : Beauty Amazon.com : Foam Tipped Applicators Poly Shaft 50/pkg : Foam Swabs : Beauty

Spritz some Leathermaster Pristine Clean on them and be VERY gentle as you clean. The edges of the perforations can fray otherwise.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 PM
islandsnow
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

air hose?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:46 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Something similar to this: Amazon.com : Foam Tipped Applicators Poly Shaft 50/pkg : Foam Swabs : Beauty

Spritz some Leathermaster Pristine Clean on them and be VERY gentle as you clean. The edges of the perforations can fray otherwise.
Thanks, are they going to fit inside the wholes or just for the surface? The residue is imbedded inside the orifices. A surface clean won't fix the issue. I have tried that already.

Last edited by trucheli; 10-28-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
Thanks, are they going to fit inside the wholes or just for the surface?
You may have to shop for multiple sizes. As cheap as they are, there's no excuse to not have many different sizes available anyways.

Just make sure you don't force it. If you used 1z, I imagine that's what's in there. Once, one of my guys put some on too thick and got it in some stitching. Used the same method along with a horse hair brush and it cleaned right up.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
You may have to shop for multiple sizes. As cheap as they are, there's no excuse to not have many different sizes available anyways.

Just make sure you don't force it. If you used 1z, I imagine that's what's in there. Once, one of my guys put some on too thick and got it in some stitching. Used the same method along with a horse hair brush and it cleaned right up.
I will look for the thinnest swabs available. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Just use a SHOP VAC with a thin cloth or stocking to protect the end of the nozzle.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Times gone by so the product in the holes may have solidified somewhat.

You need to soften the product in the holes. Try simple applications like hot / warm water with a little soap on a microfiber towel held against the area.It may require a few applications then re-treat the leather surface.

I only use Leatherique to clean my perforated seats it works wonderfully. leatheriquecanada.com
Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Just use a SHOP VAC with a thin cloth or stocking to protect the end of the nozzle.
This.

Use a leather cleaner. Then lightly vacuum.

This was covered by that Ammo guy in New York. Go watch the YouTube.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:04 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
This.

Use a leather cleaner. Then lightly vacuum.

This was covered by that Ammo guy in New York. Go watch the YouTube.
I'll give that a try.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Times gone by so the product in the holes may have solidified somewhat.

You need to soften the product in the holes. Try simple applications like hot / warm water with a little soap on a microfiber towel held against the area.It may require a few applications then re-treat the leather surface.

I only use Leatherique to clean my perforated seats it works wonderfully. leatheriquecanada.com
i wonder how the residue will come out of the wholes. It seams that I will be pushing it in more.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by trucheli
I'll give that a try.
I like the Lexol leather cleaner in the orange bottle. You can play with the seat heater and or vented seat function to help clean up the overage from your conditioner.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by 95_993
i don't want to put a lot of liquid inside the seats. I am afraid to mess the cooling and heating system if either leather cleaner or water gets in there.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Perforated or light coloured finished leather - use a foam cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) that contains a surfactant that will lift dirt and soil, allow react time to do its work and then use a soft brush to agitate and loosen the dirt (Swissvax Leather Brush) especially on light coloured leathers; this enables the cleaning of the micro pores and creases and lifts the dirt out and reveal any further work that needs doing (dye transfer, stains, etc.) it should be given dwell time and then gentle agitation with a medium stiff bristled brush to get the product into the materials surface.

The low moisture content of foam can then be easily rinsed and the surface dried. Remove excess product and debris with a clean, damp 100% cotton fibre (do not use microfiber) towel. If the foam is allowed to dry the soil will be re-deposited to the surface
(this application method is the correct methodology for all spray type leather cleaners)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:46 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Perforated or light coloured finished leather - use a foam cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) that contains a surfactant that will lift dirt and soil, allow react time to do its work and then use a soft brush to agitate and loosen the dirt (Swissvax Leather Brush) especially on light coloured leathers; this enables the cleaning of the micro pores and creases and lifts the dirt out and reveal any further work that needs doing (dye transfer, stains, etc.) it should be given dwell time and then gentle agitation with a medium stiff bristled brush to get the product into the materials surface.

The low moisture content of foam can then be easily rinsed and the surface dried. Remove excess product and debris with a clean, damp 100% cotton fibre (do not use microfiber) towel. If the foam is allowed to dry the soil will be re-deposited to the surface
(this application method is the correct methodology for all spray type leather cleaners)
Thanks again. Now I have several methods to try. I happen to have the Swissvax leather brush and I used it with Adams Leather cleaner but no luck. I also have Sonax Leather Foam cleaner. I will try that next.

Quick Reply: I made a beginner's mistake