Notices

Dirty Air and Detail Spray

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dirty Air and Detail Spray

Went on a great drive through mountain twisties today. Had a few bugs on the windshield so I washed the windows and was surprised by the amount of grunge (black and sooty) on my white towels -- just started to use white; glad I did for this reason alone.

Of course the grunge is all over the car, but hard to see. My question is, do you use detail spray to remove this dust/grunge or should the car be washed?

Thanks. D
Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have owned my Spyder for 4.5 years and in that time I have washed it 4 times. It's coming up on 11,500 miles and the paint looks better than the day I received it from the factory. It has only been polished once.

The key to keeping the paint looking good is a good detail spray and a high quality microfiber. Skip the wash and spend the money on the microfiber instead. Cobra 530 towels in the 16 x 24 size is what I have used for the past 6 years and I still haven't found anything better.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm not an expert but I will say I have been very disappointed with a lot of the new products that have come out for a quick shine and advertise 'repellent/protectant' like qualities that instead allow dust to stick to the surface.

I would would wash with water.

In my case what I am referring to is a windshield protectant sealant but for all I know my detail spray is doing the same thing.

Hopefully, the product you applied allows the grunge to rinse off easily and safely.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most car wash concentrates contain a surfactant, which perform other important functions in cleaning, such as loosening, emulsifying (dispersing in water) and holding soil in suspension until it can be rinsed away.

My preference for a detail spray is to dilute
ONR ratio 1:16 or 8 oz. /1 gallon When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, polymers encapsulate the soil particles in the media used, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) residue removal
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) washing methods -
http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...g-methods.html
Old 09-14-2015, 08:22 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dust is going to stick to the surface no matter what you put on the car, but as Marine Blue stated, you can help get rid of this with a quality detail spray and some very high quality microfiber cloths.

YOu could look into Ultima Waterless wash, you can mix it in a spray bottle and use that as the detail/rinseless wash. Works great.

HUMP
Old 09-14-2015, 11:14 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks for your responses. I have the products (Adams Detail Spray and ONR) and good microfibers. I am just reluctant to spray on product and then just drag this grunge across the surface of my car. Do the sprays cause the dust/grunge to suspend in solution and become trapped in the towel fibers, or is there a technique in wiping to make sure the the dust/grunge is not dragged across and scratch the paint?

Thanks again. D
Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Default Detail Spray

Originally Posted by Duke I
Got it. Thanks for your responses. I have the products (Adams Detail Spray and ONR) and good microfibers. I am just reluctant to spray on product and then just drag this grunge across the surface of my car. Do the sprays cause the dust/grunge to suspend in solution and become trapped in the towel fibers, or is there a technique in wiping to make sure the the dust/grunge is not dragged across and scratch the paint?

Thanks again. D
To a point yes. The ONR is designed to do just that, and you can mix ONR in a detail spray dilution. It should tell you on the side.

HUMP
Old 09-15-2015, 07:04 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

My preference for a detail spray is to dilute ONR ratio 1:16 or 8 oz. /1 gallon When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, polymers encapsulate the soil particles in the media used, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) residue removal
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) washing methods - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...g-methods.html
Very good option. Been using ONR for about 5 mos., and finding it to work really well. I like your suggestion of diluting and using it as detail spray. Although I saw it listed on the bottle, I was hesistant to do it, but you make a very good point about sulfactants.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Ok, here's what I tried: ONR diluted to detail spray (2oz ONR to 32 oz h2o). Was concerned about its lack of lubricity others have mentioned but the polymer qualities called to me. Really did not want to drag the grungy soot across the paint so sprayed a good amount on a section then wiped while rolling the MFT trying to keep a clean surface of the MFT on the paint as I picked up the diluted ONR -- the procedure was probably closer to a waterless wash rather than a detailing spraying. As others have written, surface was not "slick" afterwards with the ONR so I tested adams DS and Griot's spray wax on the clean surface. Both were slick but, predictably I suppose, the spray wax was more so. Honestly, don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not, but both surfaces seem good.

Effort may have been as much as full washing and drying. Not sure what's best for the surface. What do you all think? Would the adams detail spray with the same wiping method be just as good (would save a step) or is the ONR superior in getting the sooty "dust" grunge off?

Thanks, Duke.

Last edited by Duke I; 09-19-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:32 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

As already noted, I have been using detail spray (Pinnacle Crystal Mist) for years in combination with a high quality microfiber and I have no swirls. I'm about as **** as they get when it comes to paint appearance and my basalt black looks as new. A good detail spray has added lubricity designed specifically to help lift light dust/dirt off of the paint. If the car is driven in the rain or wet roads then washing or ONR makes more sense.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Drove just 28 mi. today with a clean car. The black sooty stuff on the car again. Could it be brake dust? More prevalent on the rear than the front. If so, is a detailer ok to get it off? Is brake dust highly abrasive? D
Old 09-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

On further inspection, I think it's simply pollution. Have minor amounts on the front windscreen. Probably gathers more towards the rear due to aerodynamics of the slipstream at the back of the car -- my guess anyhow. D
Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Something quick and easy after the car is clean is a wipe down with Megs Synthetic Xpress wax. Goes on super easy, like a quick detail.

HUMP
Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Mothers was giving out samples of their NEW Waterless Wash & Wax (w/ carnauba) at Rennsport Reunion in the PCA tent. It is outstanding - high lubricity, easy to remove, great shine, no streaking. Great waterless product and super QD.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:00 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use ONR to wash the car in a bucket. If you are getting dirty, the detail spray may leave places unclean.

You probably need a quality protectant so dirt doesn't stick to the car so easily. Also, do you drive near dirt roads or park near places gardeners blow up debris? 20-30mi should not make the car covered with particles

Quick Reply: Dirty Air and Detail Spray