Notices

How do I clean the sticky button?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 02:16 PM
loveivs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I clean the sticky button?

Sorry, the problem is not for the Porsche cars. I got a MY09 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS. The buttons and panels become very sticky after 6 years of use. Especially around the area of lighting control (see attached photos).

Recently I got a quotation of those buttons on steering wheel. The price was $4000 something. The car shop said I was the first customer who ask for replacement of buttons. The demand of either buttons or panel is very low, therefore it came out with an insane price. I am not going to spend thousands of dollars to replace all sticky parts. Is there a solution for my problem?

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images      
Old 07-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Cleaning unfortunately won't take care of the issue. Car manufacturers use coatings which give a high end appearance on cheaper plastics and if the wrong cleaning agents are used to wipe these surfaces they will eventually break down and require replacement. Drive through car washes and dealers are notorious for using harsh chemicals to get the job done quickly and they have no interest in the long term damage they cause.

You can try recoating the surfaces but you'll need to figure out how to reapply the symbols. Alternative is replacement.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:02 AM
loveivs
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Cleaning unfortunately won't take care of the issue. Car manufacturers use coatings which give a high end appearance on cheaper plastics and if the wrong cleaning agents are used to wipe these surfaces they will eventually break down and require replacement. Drive through car washes and dealers are notorious for using harsh chemicals to get the job done quickly and they have no interest in the long term damage they cause.

You can try recoating the surfaces but you'll need to figure out how to reapply the symbols. Alternative is replacement.
I concur what you said.

Re-paint buttons seems the cheapest solution. But the symbol on the button will be gone which is what I can't accept. Arrange replacement will be to costly. If I couldn't work out a proper solution I might end up selling the car. It looks so disgusting. The panel n button is sticky and collecting dust.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:11 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interior Trim Coatings - some interiors suffer from the substandard coating that are used on the interior parts of certain models (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Aston martin, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc.) Buying new parts can be very expensive, and there is no guarantee that the parts will not become sticky again.

‘Stickynomore’ offers a refinishing service that eliminates the need to buy new, expensive parts; by refinishing your existing parts to a standard that befits an exotic car.

It could be electronics, springs, tabs or the coating on the button causing it to hang up. I would suggest an electronic aerosol cleaner (3M™ Novec™) spray treatment; they sometimes require more than one application and then repeat the ‘sticky no more application -
http://www.stickynomore.com/
Old 07-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks for that link TOGWT, I hadn't heard about this before. I'll keep it in mind if I come across cars with these issues which seems to be frequent these days.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:56 PM
loveivs
Advanced

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Interior Trim Coatings - some interiors suffer from the substandard coating that are used on the interior parts of certain models (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Aston martin, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc.) Buying new parts can be very expensive, and there is no guarantee that the parts will not become sticky again. ‘Stickynomore’ offers a refinishing service that eliminates the need to buy new, expensive parts; by refinishing your existing parts to a standard that befits an exotic car. It could be electronics, springs, tabs or the coating on the button causing it to hang up. I would suggest an electronic aerosol cleaner (3M™ Novec™) spray treatment; they sometimes require more than one application and then repeat the ‘sticky no more application - http://www.stickynomore.com/
Thanks for the link. Those guys really knows what they do. I am going to shoot an email. If everything s cool, I will send the "repair parts" to them.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:59 AM
David Fermani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Body oils will also break down these types of finishes. Just gently wipe with a damp MF towel and water.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:02 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Lots of us Ferrari guys use the Stickey service and feedback/reviews are positive. I wouldn't hesitate to use them myself and may need to with a sticky blinker stalk. A vote of confidence here.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:17 PM
savantauto
Instructor

I have had great experiences with Sticky No More.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:41 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Interior Trim Coatings - some interiors suffer from the substandard coating that are used on the interior parts of certain models (Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Porsche, Aston martin, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc.) Buying new parts can be very expensive, and there is no guarantee that the parts will not become sticky again.

‘Stickynomore’ offers a refinishing service that eliminates the need to buy new, expensive parts; by refinishing your existing parts to a standard that befits an exotic car.

It could be electronics, springs, tabs or the coating on the button causing it to hang up. I would suggest an electronic aerosol cleaner (3M™ Novec™) spray treatment; they sometimes require more than one application and then repeat the ‘sticky no more application -
http://www.stickynomore.com/
+1 Sticky No More = Better than OEM finish.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nevermind. I see that the 'Sticky No More' recommendation was already made.

Last edited by Zucc; 02-11-2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: answered in another post

Quick Reply: How do I clean the sticky button?