Notices

Detail Spray the Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detail Spray the Wheels?

When detail spraying your car, do you also detail spray the wheels or is brake dust too abraisive for detail spray alone and muset be washed off only? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have been using Quick Detailer or Spray Wax for the past four years on my Spyder and the wheels look great. In fact I have been using QD's on wheels for nearly a decade now with no issues.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Thanks MB. After washing only? Or do you use them to touch up and get brake dust off between washings? D
Old 06-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can use quick detailer without washing the wheels. Use a decent microfiber and dedicate a group of microfibers for wheel cleaning only. Using spray wax helps keep the surface slick and makes future clean up easier. Griots is one of my favorites for spray wax, Meguiars NXT Tech is also good.

One of these days I'll take a shot of my wheels after a drive in the country when they are caked with brake dust and bugs. Grasshoppers are especially bad as they stick like glue to the barrels and spokes.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can as long as its not a large amount, as with the paint. You dont want a large amount of dust on the paint either.

HUMP
Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SC Detailer
You can as long as its not a large amount, as with the paint. You dont want a large amount of dust on the paint either.

HUMP
Absolutely right, I'm embarrassed that I didn't mention it on my post. If the wheel has been through rain or puddles I would definitely wash it, QD is only appropriate on a wheel that has been driven a couple hundred miles and needs to be wiped down.

Here's an example of what my wheels look like after a 50 mile drive.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I used Griot's spray wax on light brake dust. Turned out great!

I'm surprised by the chips on the wheels with just over 5,000 miles.

Your wheels look very nice. I'll keep up the routine.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:09 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The "wax" in QD is going to boil off in no time due to temperature of the wheels.

When wheels are not too bad, I use Poorboy's Spray & Wipe (it has no wax) to clean them, without a hose and bucket - just sitting on my bum in the garage.

However, the key is to seal the wheels. CarPro HydrO2 is incredibly easy to use on wheels and seals them for a good month. It only takes seconds to apply. Colinite 845 or 476 also work well on wheels, but it's a lot more work that Hydro2.

If you keep your wheels sealed, washing or wiping clean is a snap.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chrono
The "wax" in QD is going to boil off in no time due to temperature of the wheels.

When wheels are not too bad, I use Poorboy's Spray & Wipe (it has no wax) to clean them, without a hose and bucket - just sitting on my bum in the garage.

However, the key is to seal the wheels. CarPro HydrO2 is incredibly easy to use on wheels and seals them for a good month. It only takes seconds to apply. Colinite 845 or 476 also work well on wheels, but it's a lot more work that Hydro2.

If you keep your wheels sealed, washing or wiping clean is a snap.
I Opti-coated my wheels when I purchased the car. Not shire when I should reapply. Thanks for colinite suggestion for the wheels. I'll try that. I use 845 on top of menzerna power lock on my paint and think it is great.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:52 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
.... I use 845 on top of menzerna power lock on my paint and think it is great.
Great combo! Yeah, the 845 is great on wheels, and if you have some... no brainer.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Neun 11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone compare Wheel Wax to the other sealers above? I pull my wheels a couple times a year and do the barrels and face with it. It's easy to clean with car wash and water and the Wheel Wax keeps the brake dust from sticking.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:53 PM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neun 11
Can anyone compare Wheel Wax to the other sealers above? I pull my wheels a couple times a year and do the barrels and face with it. It's easy to clean with car wash and water and the Wheel Wax keeps the brake dust from sticking.
From good to best:

1. Wheel Wax: This is good, as long as you keep applying it every so often. That can become a pain when removing the wheels often to apply for to barrels
2. Sealant: Again, similar to wax, except that it could last a little longer
3. Hydro2: As mentioned. This has got to be one of the easiest ways to protect your wheels, heck, even the whole vehicle. Wash your wheels, while they are wet, spray on and pressure rinse off. Its seriously like magic!
4. Specific coating: Initial cost for this is higher, but because these coatings are made for high temp applications, they will last longer. Modesta mades BC-06, it is rated at well over 1,000 degrees. It is a pro only application, and it is a spray application. It is best to take the wheels off, prep them and then have this installed and infrared cured to the wheels. CQuartz makes Dlux and you can also have them coated with CQuartz Finest.
These are the two options I am familiar with, I am sure there are others. Application cost can go from $350-$650 for wheels off.

It all depends on what you want to do. Something is better than nothing at all in my opinion.

HUMP
Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Neun 11
I have a tub of wheel wax I purchased a few years ago and after trying it a few times I gave up on it. The effort far outweighs the benefits. The spray wax gives me about 75% of the same non stick coating (even after burn off) and since I use it as part of the cleaning process it's really not additional work.

I have also tried sealant waxes and while they are easier to use as compared to the wheel wax the effort isn't worth it.

Based upon what others are stating, it sounds like a coating is the best approach, I need to give it a shot to see how it compares.

My non sugar coated opinion based upon my own experience, YMMV.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Using the spray wax with very good results. Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Detail Spray the Wheels?