Notices

Non-Destructive Headlight Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 06:24 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Non-Destructive Headlight Polishing

I'd love to hear from a detailer who has performed this task (if it's even possible).

My 997 headlights are in excellent condition with just some very light scratches (just like 'love marks' in clear coat on painted panels). No dulling or yellowing at all.

I know how to successfully remove the few micro scratches in the paintwork itself (and have done so) but am very wary of tackling the headlights without talking to somebody who's done it first and knows a viable product and technique to use.

I do not want to remove the clear coat protection on the headlight lenses and every product and process I've seen so far is centered on that more dramatic/invasive task of removing failing clearcoat protection and oxidation that exists as a result. Removing the existing clearcoat is the last thing I want.

Does anybody know a way to do this?

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If the 997 headlights truly have a clear coat then I would use the same approach you use for paint. Start with a product like Meguiars 205 and a microfiber applicator by hand. Usually that's enough to move microscratches. If that doesn't do it move to Meguiars 105 and a microfiber applicator until the scratches are removed. Being a very small area it shouldn't be too much work/effort to do this manually.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Thanks, Afshin. I actually had the same thought as you had regarding M205 (great product), by hand and using a DA polisher, but it actually put in slightly more scratches (say if the headlights had 98% clarity before they had 95% clarity afterwards - sorry I can't think of a better way to describe right now). I tried to follow up with Menzerna 4000, but that really didn't do anything. I guess it requires either finer abrasives, more diminishing abrasives, or something developed specifically for the application??

Whatever the clear coating is they use to cover the polycarbonate it does't react the same way as regular clear coat.

I say they're covered in a clear coat because - as I understand it - there's some sort of clear coating that manufacturers use to protect the polycarbonate on headlights from UV damage. I realized this very quickly once when I tried an over-the-counter headlight restoration kit on my friend's yellowing headlights once. They looked like new after I did it but 3 months later they looked like I had never touched them. I don't trust that the liquid protectants that come in these kits are a true replacement for the original clear coats that manufacturers or OEM suppliers put on headlights. I'd love to know what that product actually is.

If there's no 'magic bullet' product I'll probably just leave them for now, but I'd love to find the solution to this.

Andy
Old 03-31-2015, 02:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The theory of a coating is plausible but it's also very possible that the plastics include a UV inhibitor added during the extrusion process. It would be an additive that is added to the plastic ahead of time and melted/blended into the plastic. The problem with these inhibitors is that the lower grade plastics will use a cheap inhibitor that has limited UV resistance. After a certain amount of time the inhibitors no longer work and the plastics will degrade from the outer surface inwards and there's not much you can do. It was a bigger issue on late 90's cars when the plastic headlights really became popular and you see the issue less frequently as manufacturers have figured out how to deal with it.

Have you tried Meguiars plastic polish? It's relatively mild and might be enough to remove the light scratches if gently applied.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:30 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Thanks. I was thinking of trying the Meguiars product (PastX?). I think I'll just pull the trigger on it. I'll probably try it on my wife's car first

The best things I've found covering the UV coating so far are this link on a headlight restoration site:
http://www.deltakits.com/wise-crack/...t-all-the-same

...and one of Larry Kosilla's latest Drive Clean videos. I love all of Larry's stuff and his video on headlight restoration is no exception. I wish he had've covered light polishing as well as full restoration (i.e. sanding off the UV coat), but I guess I'll have to wait for a later video for that.

I'll try PlastX this weekend.

Thanks again!

Andy
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andy thanks for the link, I didn't realize that coatings were being used that exrtensively.

I did a quick search and found one of the German manufacturers of the coatings. Perhaps you can email them and ask them how they would address fine scratches in the coating. http://www.bayermaterialsciencenafta...lications.html

Note that they're a very large company so you may not get an immediate answer. Let me know if you get any additional information. I'll do some more research on my end also as I'm curious.

Another solution is to install a clear bra on the headlight like I did. No rock pits or scratches.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/headlight-restoration.html
Old 04-01-2015, 11:58 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Afshin, thanks a lot for the link! I'll try to get in touch with these guys to see if they have any ideas. Agreed it might take a while to get an answer, but I share your curiosity on this one and I'd like to learn more. I'll share whatever I find.

This seems to be an area of detailing that's still a little fuzzy in my opinion. It feels like we all know what to do with hard and soft clearcoats at this point when it comes to paint, but headlights are still an area where more could be known.

TOGWT - great article! So, is Werkstat Prime Strong something that can actually remove light scratches without necessarily removing the clear coat? I also noticed that you referenced Optimum Opti-Lens, which I actually found on AutoGeek last night. If the worst comes to the worst that would seem to be the best aftermarket alternative to the OEM coating. I just hope not to have to go that far...

Thanks!

Andy

Quick Reply: Non-Destructive Headlight Polishing