Notices

My GT3 Paint Correction

Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default My GT3 Paint Correction

I corrected the GT3 and thought you guys might want to see this.

So if you haven’t declared me crazy yet, you may change your mind should you decide to waste 3+ hours of your life to watch my goofy videos. I’ve already done a step-by-step paint correction using mostly photos in my other journals. For the GT3, I thought I would set-up my camera and talk you through my entire process.

Now I know there are lots of detailing tutorials and videos online, but they usually gloss over the details in interest of entertainment/production value or don’t want to divulge all of the secrets. I wanted to put something together for those that enjoy doing this stuff themselves. I’m not selling any products and don’t have an agenda. I’m just a super nerd that loves doing this stuff. I have a unique gift to do endless research and seem to have a ton of free time on my hands. I am simply posting this to share with others that are like me. That, and I don’t have any friends.

To qualify these videos, I am not a professional. I don’t detail for money. I will not detail cars that are not my own due to the time investment. My time is worth much more to me than the money someone would pay me. Not to mention, who would pay me my hourly rate to do this anyway? I don’t claim to know it all, but I’ve developed a pretty decent process through extensive research, spending thousands of dollars, and many years of trial and error.

There isn’t any techno music and there is a ton of dead space as I filmed pressure washing, polishing, taping, etc. I kept the camera running a lot during the videos and pretended I was talking to someone that wanted to learn what I know. I hope these videos help you skip some of the mistakes I’ve made over the years. Thanks for entertaining my obsessive tendencies.

Matt

In summary, below are what the videos show:

1.) Decontamination
a. Initial Washing and Removal of Wax/Sealant
b. Quick Drying
c. Removal of Iron Contaminants
d. Drying
e. Auto Scrub

2.) Paint Correction
a. Prewash
b. Compounding
c. Masking/Taping
d. Finishing Polish/”Jewelling”
e. Wheel Cleaning
f. Polishing Dust/Residue Removal
i. Wash
ii. Dry
iii. IPA Wipe Down

3.) Protection
a. Coat of Carnauba Wax Applied
b. 12 Hours Curing Time
c. 2nd Coat Applied

*Not Shown: Glass Treatment, Trim Protection, Engine Cover Carbon Fiber Correction, Wheel Coating, Tire Prep, Tire Treatment, Interior Detailing.

See my YouTube Channel for more videos and future videos of the missing detailing processes.

Product List Used in Videos
Chemical Guys Citrus Red Car Shampoo
Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner
MTM Foam Cannon
Adam’s Large Wash Pad
Grit Guard Dual Bucket System
Good Year ¾” Kink-Free 100’ Hose
Dramm Shut-off Valve
Eley Corp. Pistol Spray Nozzle
Eley Corp. Hose Reel
General Purpose Quick Connects
Kranzle 1122TST Electric Pressure Washer
Eley Corp. Quick Connect
Eley Corp. 6’ Connection Hose
Stihl BG 55 Leaf Blower
Adam’s Great White Drying Towels
Griot’s Garage Car Drying Towels
Optimum No Rinse
Kranzle Spray Bottle
Nano Skin Auto Scrub 6” Orbital Pad, Fine
Nano Skin Auto Scrub Small Block Sponge, Fine
Griot’s Garage 1st Gen. 6” Orbital
Menzerna FG400
McGuiar’s D300
Rupes LHR21
Rupes Duetto
Griot’s Garage 1st Gen. 3” Orbital
Uber 7” Microfiber Cutting Pad
McGuiar’s 3”, 5”, 6” Microfiber Cutting Pads
Menzerna SF4000
Uber Green Polishing Pads 4”, 5”, 6”
Scotch 233+ Auto Masking Tape Various Sizes
Scotch Blue Painter’s Tape
Uber Ultra 16” Microfiber Towels
Griot’s Garage Green Wheel Cleaner
Griot’s Garage Rubber Cleaner
Large EZ Detailer Brush
Griot’s Garage Lamb Skin Mitt
91% IPA diluted to ~30%
Adam’s Car Shampoo
Auto Geek Generic Waxing Pads
Auto Finesse Desire

Not Shown
Adam’s Foam Tire Block
Car Pro Pearl
Wolf’s Trim Coat
Wolf’s Glass Shield

Last edited by Money2536; 11-05-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

straight up PRO job. I swear by IPA rub down after polishing.

for those who dont know IPA is just rubbing alcohol.

so do 50% 50% water.

I just use 70%

I like chemical guys citrus wash as well

I have never given adams stuff a try but i will

Nice to see im not the only OCD person on here

excellent job
Old 11-22-2014, 03:56 AM
islandflyin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for posting these videos

Thanks for sharing this... I am a new Porsche owner and am excited to get into all the detail work on it. I have a few packages showing up soon with my DA and some supplies.

This was very helpful, it is hard to know how to do it with all of the sales videos out there just pushing product x as the latest and greatest... I was having a hard time piecing the whole process together.

One question, I seem to have missed the rubbing alcohol wipe down. Is that just a solution sprayed on and wiped off to strip the surface after the polish, before the wax?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by islandflyin
. ....
One question, I seem to have missed the rubbing alcohol wipe down. Is that just a solution sprayed on and wiped off to strip the surface after the polish, before the wax?
Yep, you got it. However, it seems a lot of folks are using too strong of a solution. 15% to 20% is plenty strong. IPA will soften the paint at higher concentrations. All that's needed is to remove the polishing oils, and in some cases, it's not even necessary. But at 15%, it's safe and works well as an inspection aid.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:05 AM
detailersdomain
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job!
tel: 201-233-0003
Promo code is rennlist for 10% off anything on the site
Current Sales and Updates
Old 12-01-2014, 11:15 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouf, nice! IM NOT ALONE!!!!

Fyi, just to freak you out a little, your wash mitt touched the ground a couple times in the 1st vid! ;>

What did you say about polishing the lights? What does it do to the lights?

Do you have kids? I simply cant keep my garage that clean with my kid's stuff....

Great job. Watch 1st vid only, will watch the rest for sure!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,728 Likes on 4,761 Posts

Old 12-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by islandflyin
Thanks for sharing this... I am a new Porsche owner and am excited to get into all the detail work on it. I have a few packages showing up soon with my DA and some supplies.

This was very helpful, it is hard to know how to do it with all of the sales videos out there just pushing product x as the latest and greatest... I was having a hard time piecing the whole process together.

Originally Posted by Chrono
Yep, you got it. However, it seems a lot of folks are using too strong of a solution. 15% to 20% is plenty strong. IPA will soften the paint at higher concentrations. All that's needed is to remove the polishing oils, and in some cases, it's not even necessary. But at 15%, it's safe and works well as an inspection aid.
Chrono's right. I think I said 30% solution in my video, but I try to keep it closer to 20% to be on the safe side. I find IPA to work better than some of the available products like Menzerna Top Inspection or CarPro Eraser.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
great job!
As I'm sure you could tell Phil, I'm inspired and supplied by DD!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Ouf, nice! IM NOT ALONE!!!!

Fyi, just to freak you out a little, your wash mitt touched the ground a couple times in the 1st vid! ;>

What did you say about polishing the lights? What does it do to the lights?

Do you have kids? I simply cant keep my garage that clean with my kid's stuff....

Great job. Watch 1st vid only, will watch the rest for sure!
No way my mitt touched the ground. That's why I always blow of the driveway before wasing. Just to be on the safe side.

I said to make sure you tape off you entire light or at least make sure you don't hit them with a polish. I made that mistake on my S2000 and the headlights hazed prematurely requiring me to wetsand and polish the UV top coat off the lights. Now I tape the whole thing to be safe. I do wax them just no polish.

I have two kids and a sem-organized wife. It is a constant project. Taking five pairs of shoes a day into the house, sweeping out sand and dirt, putting toys away. I refuse to lose this battle. My garage is my sanctuary. I will win.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My GT3 Paint Correction