Reviving yellowy brown clearcoat on a white car

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Reviving yellowy brown clearcoat on a white car

Hello all

I am hoping someone here can give me some direction. I bought a 99 996 that has been repainted with the exception of the roof and the engine hatch. These spots with original paint is noticeably more yellowy/brown then the new paint. I have tried a test spot with a claybar and it helped but didn't remove it completely. Is there a polishing compound out there that would remove this? I am guessing the discoloration is just on the clear coat.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With all vehicles a regular routine of cleaning the paint surface is important; more so with light colour paint as dirt is more noticeable than on darker colours. Clean paint surface with a chemical paint cleaner and / or detailer’s clay and then use an abrasive polish to remove any oxidation.

1. Nanoskin Towel or Detailers clay to remove above surface contaminants

2. ValuGuard Decontamination System to remove below surface contamination. This preventative measure puts a stop to corrosion, and contains unique chemical ingredients that effectively dissolve the sintered iron by forming water soluble iron complex. For use on car paint, wheels and glass surfaces (safe for all wheel finishes including painted aluminium and alloys) to remove iron filings and ferrous-based contaminants

Automotive paint is porous; by using an acid-based solution on the paint surface the micro-fissures (‘pores’) are permeated. This releases ferrous particles and caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface; the exothermic reaction agitates and loosens the particles allowing them to be rinsed away. Unlike clay that only removes the particulates that protrude from the paint by abrasion

3. Klasse All-in-one (AIO) is a chemical paint cleaner used to remove oxidation and colour staining (they contain Kaolinite, a clay mineral (Kaolin) and mild a solvent). You can use traditional polishing techniques (small working sections, higher speed, increased pressure) to remove extremely fine swirl marks, it is designed more of a paint cleanser; so apply using a finishing pad, slow speed and clean one panel at a time.

Regular use of P21S® High Performance Total Auto Wash, a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner or an all-in-one (AIO) type cleaner polish will ensure surface road dirt and grime is removed from the paint surface restoring the gloss to the paint surface. The 'yellowing' is paint oxidation caused by ultra violet (UV-A) radiation; it takes time and neglect of the paint for this to occur

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki -

1. Nanoskin Towel or Detailers clay to remove above surface contaminants - “Nanoskin Surface Prep Towel” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...rep-towel.html

2. ValuGuard Decontamination System to remove below surface contamination - “ValuGard Paint Decontamination System” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...on-system.html

“Detailing and Care of White / Silver Paint” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ver-paint.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-14-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Reviving yellowy brown clearcoat on a white car