Notices

Leather Touch Up, Great Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Can you take a few close up pictures of the areas that appear to be cracked? Is the current coating peeling/flaking and or are the edges lifting or is it in good condition with clean edges?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am afraid the 3rd picture is the best for now. Nothing has actually peeled off from the main leather yet, although some minor flaking has occurred, with some very noticeable scuff marks...
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Leather Magic should do an excellent job with recoloring the scuffed areas and any areas that have lost the color coat. The primary concern I would have is that any loose existing coating could make it difficult to feather the edges and blend everything.

I would suggest starting with a deep cleaning using Leatherique and wipe down with microfiber to try to remove any loose coating. Once you've finished the cleaning go to an additional cleaning step using Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and let the leather dry completely before you start the painting process. Use the instructions I provided. You'll need to be patient since it's a very exacting and slow process and you have alot of area to cover.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 PM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got some close-up images of the worst bits of the leather seats. "flakey" may not be the best description but clearly there are areas of dry or scuffed leather.....

apparently the passenger seat is in a better condition, but honestly I just don't know if I could restore them....grateful for any thoughts!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swear by leatherique

If i can use that i use leather world tech

Airbrushed on staring with 60% dye 40% water first 2 coats
Last 3-4 usually 80-20

All newer leather is basivally a painted on dye over a hide or half hide

So its just worn paint minus the cracking

Over cleaning or rubbing in and out the car is usally the problem

Lexol or wollite 10-1 water is the best because of the ph balance perfectally neutral

Or leatherique i swear by

The reguvrnotor oil helped me fibish many silver shadows

Any dye transfer can be taken care of on light colors

Leather world tech has a great product

I did interiors for 5 years fun
Old 11-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

This can be fixed not easy but can be done
youd have to lighlty sand

Recomend leatherique for you googke it

Plus id remove the seats for the process

And do the back so they all match
Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the closeup pictures. The drivers seat will need an extensive redye due to the wear and cracking. I will stick with my original recommendation which is the leatherique cleaner/conditioner followed by Leather Master Strong Cleaner to prep the surface for the paint. Wait a couple hours or a day before you start painting.

I would use the apply and immediately wipe approach in a small area to see how well it covers. When I applied my touch up the paint adhered instantly to the worn areas and really blended well but I was covering much smaller areas.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks for the closeup pictures. The drivers seat will need an extensive redye due to the wear and cracking. I will stick with my original recommendation which is the leatherique cleaner/conditioner followed by Leather Master Strong Cleaner to prep the surface for the paint. Wait a couple hours or a day before you start painting.

I would use the apply and immediately wipe approach in a small area to see how well it covers. When I applied my touch up the paint adhered instantly to the worn areas and really blended well but I was covering much smaller areas.

100% swear by leatherique

Send a sample theyll match it

Also the side bolster may need to be filled and sanded
Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

LeatherWorld products also work well (I've been told Leatherique is good too). I just did a repair on my drivers seat that was pretty bad (right through the leather) see this link to my thread in the 996 forum... https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...therworld.html
Old 07-20-2018, 05:34 AM
Leather Surgeon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Interior Leather Touch up

Hi everyone,I am here bearing great news.We at Leather Surgeon not only can touch up car interior,we can recolour the whole car interior.As long as it is genuine leather we can use special resins and colours to match any desired colour or original colour.We offer professional onsite or workshop services in and around Cape town.Visit our website www.leathersurgeon.co.za for more or our Facebook page Leather Surgeon.

This faded chair was restored by us onsite in somewhere in Cape town.We are leaders in leather restoration.Unfortunately I dont have car seats restored in my pc but you will see a few done on the fb page

Quick Reply: Leather Touch Up, Great Solution