Notices

Leather Touch Up, Great Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Sure they are Jerry, take a closer look. All creases are exactly the same between the two. Only real difference is the lighting.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:04 PM
JWise
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry Feather
That looks real good, but it is not a very good testimonial since the "after" pictures are not the same seat as the "before" picture.
Uh, Jerry, I beg to differ. It's the same seat, I can assure you of that. The "before" shot was from the seller. The two "after" shots are ones I took with and without flash after re-coloring. Would appreciate a retraction of your statement. Thanks.

P.S. Here's a "before" shot I took myself:
Attached Images   

Last edited by JWise; 05-04-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Bumping this so I can refer to it. Need to do the same to the seats I picked up.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job on the seat renovation

Leather World Technologies Top Coat is a water-based clear coating for finished (pigmented) leather. This product provides a clear finish designed to give abrasion protection and better durability for finished leather.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Leather or Viynl repair / re-colouring - http://www.magicmender.com/
Looking at the link, I'm a bit torn on what to do. My seats will need a very comprehensive repair as well as several parts of my leather interior. The Leatherique way has you sanding. The magic mender does not.
Also any opinions on the "leather doctor" kit?
http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...splay.php?f=10

TIA
Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Time to bump this just in case someone can answer my question as I'm ready to pull the trigger...
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJF1
Looking at the link, I'm a bit torn on what to do. My seats will need a very comprehensive repair as well as several parts of my leather interior. The Leatherique way has you sanding. The magic mender does not.
Also any opinions on the "leather doctor" kit?
http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...splay.php?f=10

TIA
Unfortunately I have not used either of these products so I can't really offer any real world experience.

The product I used was based upon a recommendation from an expert that performs custom leather work.

I had seen several Leatherique repairs and although it looks significantly better the one pet peeve I had was that the finish was too glossy.

Let us know what you end up doing and post some before/after pictures!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM
borland
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used both Leatherique and Magic Mender repair/dye products. I would recommend Leatherique's Leather Rejuvinator and Pristine Clean products, but for touchup, I prefer Magic Mender products.

Besides the complete selection of Porsche factory color dyes (see below chart from Magic Mender site), Magic Mender also sells a leather grain spray and clear coat. So, if you do some sanding, the grain spray will give a orange peel look instead of the commonly seen smooth and grainless touchup. If your seats have previous touchup work, the clear coats Magic Mender sells can be used to hide any gloss patterns.

Access to an airbrush and airbrush compressor is key to professional results. The airbrush ultra fine spray feature allows easy blending the new dye with the old.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Leather or Viynl repair / re-colouring - http://www.magicmender.com/
Originally Posted by borland
I have used both Leatherique and Magic Mender repair/dye products. I would recommend Leatherique's Leather Rejuvinator and Pristine Clean products, but for touchup, I prefer Magic Mender products.

Besides the complete selection of Porsche factory color dyes (see below chart from Magic Mender site), Magic Mender also sells a leather grain spray and clear coat. So, if you do some sanding, the grain spray will give a orange peel look instead of the commonly seen smooth and grainless touchup. If your seats have previous touchup work, the clear coats Magic Mender sells can be used to hide any gloss patterns.

Access to an airbrush and airbrush compressor is key to professional results. The airbrush ultra fine spray feature allows easy blending the new dye with the old.

Gents. STOP recommending Magic Mender. Their product is GARBAGE!

Unfortunately I did not do my homework correctly and based on this thread I completely re did my seats with Magic Mender in March. Painstaking procedure, followed all direction to a T. I was also swayed by the fact that they were the only provider of my unusual color ( Silk Grey).

At first the seats looked great. Felt a bit plasticky to be honest, but they looks new.

As of late with the summer heat, my car has to stay in the sun when i'm at work. The seats started to feel very tacky, like i was seating on the back of a scotch tape! the color literally has started to come off and yesterday I tried to clean them without chemicals only for paint to come off on my rag. Not to mention the traces of paint in my clothing for the past little while.

So they are GARBAGE. unfortunately when I googled "magic mender problems" i came upon several threads on the BMW forums describing the exact same issues that I have.

So, now back to square zero for me, any solutions would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:28 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job on the leather renovation Marine Blue.
As with most things relevant to detailing the most important step is proper surface preparation

“Leather Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1479003
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As with most things relevant to detailing the most important step is proper surface preparation

“Leather Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1479003
Its obvious you consider yourself as THE "expert" and its easy to dismiss other people's experience and opinions.

I followed the instructions of the actual product to a T, I even took most of the color out and had the seats in a controlled environment, out of the car for weeks to do this properly. I even left the seats out of the car for another week before installing to ensure the product has cured perfectly.

The fact remains that the product "magic mender" you recommended is garbage.
Probably you have a vested interest in this product but you should disclose that.

otherwise I cant explain that an "expert" such as you present yourself to be would recommend such garbage.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 PM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I know this an old thread, but I'm curious about the difference between "silk grey" and "linen grey". Can anyone provide photos detailing the difference? I was able to decipher 7VT as silk grey carpet, but the other codes, QM and TL, I can not find a reference to these options.

My car: 1990 964c2.

Thanks,
HB

Last edited by JV44HeinzBar; 05-13-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: forgot to add the year
Old 06-08-2014, 06:30 PM
usmm1234
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just touched up the seats in my low mileage 1990 964 with Leather Magic. I could not believe that they had my somewhat rare Can Can Red! Perfect results. I wish I had thought to do before and after pics. Of course I have no idea how to post pics anyway, but I am extremely pleased with the results? The product was delivered very quickly, but with no directions what so ever. I followed the guidance of a fellow RennList member on this post and the results were great. I bought the small bottle, and I think it's enough to do the whole car. A little goes a long way. My seats are in very good shape, but had the always present left hip cracks in the coloring. I used a clean rag and feathered out to the crack free areas. I'll post durability later, but I have enough extra product to do this treatment many more times if needed. Two thumbs up to LEATHER MAGIC.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danny thank you for posting your follow up on Magic Mender. Your observations are similar to what I have seen from a few different products. My first 928 had been redyed by a previous owner and I observed the same sticky surface and product removal when I cleaned the seats. As noted in my original post, the product I used worked extremely well for touch up of small areas and it blended perfectly. I would be interested in others observations for repairing a larger area and how the product has held up.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:58 AM
PorkerNW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the great input here, really appreciate it. I was led to this thread when I posted a new one seeking for views and suggestions on how best to deal with an interior and seats like this:

As you could see there are visible and extensive areas of scuffs and marks, but I cannot see any substantial tear through the leather. I really like this car and wonder if you think, according to your experience with Leathers Magic or other products, that these could still be remedied or repaired?

I used to be a fan of black interior not just that it's classic that can withstand time but also that it's the safest choice. As for chestnut interior like this one, I am not sure if it looks okay at first but I was pleasantly surprised after I viewed this car.

Would appreciate your input as to whether these are fixable coz it's one of the key issues to me. Many thanks in advance. Good day all.

Quick Reply: Leather Touch Up, Great Solution