Notices

Mask or clean over-polish?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mask or clean over-polish?

So, when I'm using the DA to polish the roof of my 996, I always worry about getting the white powder from the polish into the black felt trim around the sunroof.

So what do you do?

Mask the trim with tape prior to polishing?

Clean the trim afterwards, so you can just polish away without masking?

What do you guys recommend?

Chris.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:30 PM
dyazdani
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering the same thing, not just specifically to sunroof trim though. I had originally intended to use the blue painter's tape, but I'll be interested to see the other responses.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 AM
Anthony Orosco
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cdodkin
So, when I'm using the DA to polish the roof of my 996, I always worry about getting the white powder from the polish into the black felt trim around the sunroof.

So what do you do?

Mask the trim with tape prior to polishing?

Clean the trim afterwards, so you can just polish away without masking?

What do you guys recommend?

Chris.

I just polished out an 05 911 with sunroof and I did not tape off the felt. I should of but I was in a rush...taping off only a few edges as I had to wet sand a few areas.

I've been doing this for alot of years so I can run a rotary right along the edge and "usually" not hit it ..BUT.....to avoid that gastly chalk buld up crap I would highly recommend you tape it off.

Here's how I do it. I first get some low-tack painters tape, I like to get the wide 2 inch tape for this area.

After washing and drying, and also blowing out the felt area, I tape off the whole outer edges so just the sunroof itself is exposed. I then began buffing this panel out from start to finish. So if I'm doing a 4 step polishing process I'll do all 4 steps to the sunroof panel and then remove the tape and then tape off the inside portions of the sunroof panel.

I then do all polishing steps to the main roof area. I then remove all tape and wax or seal the whole roof area.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 12-31-2006, 04:03 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Very good technique Anthony. I usually come back with an interior cleaner and just rub out the felt. But I like your way better.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Very good technique Anthony. I usually come back with an interior cleaner and just rub out the felt. But I like your way better.
same here
Old 01-05-2007, 01:56 PM
wetstuff
Pro

I did my wife's ML last week with Jeff's Prime with a 4" air polisher. It sprayed chalk onto things like matte plastic trim, hand rails, etc. It all wiped off - as compared to working my ### off rubbing - with a little Windex type cleaner. The only place it needed a brush was some black, patterned plastic forward of the windshield where the wipers come out onto the cowling. (I'd mask that next time!....)

I also would mask off cloth tops and/or crevices where I'd never be able to reach. Some 5mil, soft polyethlyene rod or rubber tubing shoves into door joints, etc. ...and Norton has some poly Blue sheeting that comes 16x350ft that has a nice cling if you're working in tight spaces. (replaces wet newspapers for people who can expense this out...)
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I just buffed out the 928 and taped off all the trim and a few of the panel gaps. Here's the right up if anyone is interested

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...Random+Orbital

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mask or clean over-polish?