Notices

Wheel wax for the track car

Old 12-26-2006, 02:54 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wheel wax for the track car

It is important that I wax the clearcoated track wheels, in order to protect them from brake dust, and to make it easier to keep them clean. I give them a heavy cleaning in the fall, then polish and wax as I have time during the winter.
I have been using a polish and then Blitz wax; would it make more sense to use a longer-lasting acrylic on them? I have Klasse for the track car (body) and was thinking of using it on the wheels.
Any thoughts as to how well it would hold up to the heat?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, I have seen special 'wheel wax' but am not convinced it is anything special.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 695 Likes on 365 Posts

I've heard Rejex works pretty good. After doing some long-term uses, I'm not all that convinced it's any more protection than Zymol Wheel Coat which you simply spray on and let dry. My 2 cents.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Promise you won't laugh......

I've seen guys spray/wipe the wheels with Pam cooking spray. VERY non stick, high temp resistance and easy clean up.

You told me you weren't going to laugh.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:19 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, no laughing, but I am chuckling at the idea of Pam (a non-stick cooking spray, not a person) on the wheels.
I'll bet the users are mostly interested in keeping the track goobers from sticking; on the track, we get a lot of tire rubber balled up and stuck on the inside of the wheels, thus throwing them out of balance. I can see Pam helping out here.
I'll also bet the Concours questions from a track guy are making some of you nuts. My apologies...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:07 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

During Autocross season I strip the wheels after each event. I think this is important, brake dust is like razor blades for your clear coat, particularly when its sitting in the sun. I wash with a dawn type dish washing soap. Get out the clay to lift any rubber or tar. I then apply a good polish like the Klasse or Werkstatt Prime Strong. Really digs in there. Coat with a spray wax for a littel more sparkle. But I don't layer or spend to much doing this because its going to get stripped after the next event.

If its regular road driving a 1-2 punch of Prime Strong and FK 146 spray wax/cleaner will keep it slick and clean until the next wash. In addition to cleaning my glass, I make a regular practice of cleaning off my Carrera 5 spokes and dressing the tires frequently. Makes the car look cleaner without touching the paint.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM
turbo'S'
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a silicon based product by Mucoff and it seems to be quite good but a bit messy to apply?
It is sponged on and polished in but you have to be very careful near the breaking surfaces not to get any on them.Wheels seem to clean off well.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rejex - I've never used any kind of wheel cleaner since my wheels have been coated with Rejex. Just water and sponge.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:41 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all of the responses; they are much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I also rejex my wheels twice a year (once is probably good enough)......I've never had brake dust that didn't just wipe off.....even after coming back from a DE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel wax for the track car