Notices

Longshot.... Anybody has wheel bearing tool around Chicago?

Old 11-01-2016, 09:25 PM
r0nd3L
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Longshot.... Anybody has wheel bearing tool around Chicago?

I'm looking to replace my front wheel bearings and trying to avoid buying specialty tool to press out/in hub/bearing. Anybody has leads on rentals? I have plenty of BMW tools, hydraulic press, fender roller, etc, etc, but nothing for this job specifically....

Thanks,
Matas
Old 11-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default bearing

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
I'm looking to replace my front wheel bearings and trying to avoid buying specialty tool to press out/in hub/bearing. Anybody has leads on rentals? I have plenty of BMW tools, hydraulic press, fender roller, etc, etc, but nothing for this job specifically....

Thanks,
Matas

i use my machine shop for bearing races, to insure clearance is maintained to bearing flange. real cheap, same day service usually for my stuff.

Their in palatine on colefax, foreign car rebuilding. They do a lot of Porsche engine work as well as a bunch of items like this.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:37 AM
r0nd3L
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gadsby
i use my machine shop for bearing races, to insure clearance is maintained to bearing flange. real cheap, same day service usually for my stuff.

Their in palatine on colefax, foreign car rebuilding. They do a lot of Porsche engine work as well as a bunch of items like this.
Thanks for great suggestion! If I can't get it done with my hydraulic 20 ton press, I will bring the carriers to the shop you mentioned.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Bearing

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
Thanks for great suggestion! If I can't get it done with my hydraulic 20 ton press, I will bring the carriers to the shop you mentioned.
i did gt3 and 911sc bearings last year. You can also have them clean parts in hot tank and or blast them to look like new.

i think it's worth the extra to go the extra effort when working on these fun cars. Here's an example before and after.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 AM
r0nd3L
Advanced

i did gt3 and 911sc bearings last year. You can also have them clean parts in hot tank and or blast them to look like new.

i think it's worth the extra to go the extra effort when working on these fun cars. Here's an example before and after.

Definitely! My parts are pretty clean as-is, so I don't think I'll need that. I'm still waiting for bearings to come in, it's taking a while...
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2016, 10:46 AM
r0nd3L
Advanced

Ended up just using my press at home. Was a surprisingly smooth and easy job. The factory bearings were toast!
Attached Images     
Old 11-08-2016, 11:44 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Default Bearing

Bearings always seem to be the lowest common denononator when it comes to repairs and PM!

Here is an image of one my sc's bearing last year.

Then the big trans bearing in the gt3 when Brian Copans rebuilt it last year.

Sweet, Nice work!!

Last edited by Gadsby; 11-08-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:34 PM
r0nd3L
Advanced

Bearings always seem to be the lowest common denononator when it comes to repairs and PM!

Here is an image of one my sc's bearing last year.

Then the big trans bearing in the gt3 when Brian Copans rebuilt it last year.

Sweet, Nice work!!
Wow, that sc bearing looks really bad!

I'm super glad I did the front bearings. Car is much more quiet and smoother to drive. I even felt slight grinding sensation through the steering wheel at speeds over 70+ that is gone now. Smooth as butter!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Longshot.... Anybody has wheel bearing tool around Chicago?