Notices

Chicago Potholes

Old 10-25-2016, 11:36 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chicago Potholes

Well it finally happened.

1 month into living in Chicago, I went over a pothole at 10pm last time and got a flat! The really frustrating thing is my Porsche has 14,000 miles on it and I was planning on swapping out all 4 tires for winters this weekend (tires already ordered, at another shop).

Now I'm looking at potentially replacing all 4 tires early for summers (with 14,000 miles I'm due for replacement no?).

The car's at Loeber Porsche. Tow truck took 1.5 hours to arrive and they had a hard time loading it on the flatbed (graved the bumper).
Old 10-25-2016, 11:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Depending on the roadway, you can file a claim against the State and DOT. I don't know how it works or the success rate. Good luck. Loeber will take good care of you.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Yeah, this is my second trip to Loeber in 4 days (the other was for a lost key fob) but seems like a great dealership. Do you know if they offer a PCA discount?
Old 10-25-2016, 03:16 PM
theTvan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that if you contact the city and they were aware of the pothole before your incident, they may be able to partially reimburse the repair.

Haven't been through this process personally, though a friend of mine flatted two tires when he came to visit me in Wicker Park a few years ago. City driving is rough, I've been lucky so far...
Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear, but take solace in the fact that at 14K miles you were due for new tires anyways.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:58 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Depending on the roadway, you can file a claim against the State and DOT. I don't know how it works or the success rate. Good luck. Loeber will take good care of you.
Originally Posted by SMZ
Sorry to hear, but take solace in the fact that at 14K miles you were due for new tires anyways.

Loeber says my other 3 are good for another 5,000 or so miles! I guess I drove like a wuss...lol.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I filed once in Chicago, two tires on passenger side were damaged. Claimed for 4 as it a 996 turbo and good idea to replace all at the same time with AWD. Process took 6-8 months and was offered 40%. I took it and ran.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:55 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Loeber says my other 3 are good for another 5,000 or so miles! I guess I drove like a wuss...lol.
Tough to give the car a good workout with the boring roads we have around here. Do you mind me asking what Loeber charged for tires and installation? I am due for service soon and need new rears. Was thinking of having them installed when the car was in provided the dealer mark up wasn't outrageous.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:33 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMZ
Tough to give the car a good workout with the boring roads we have around here. Do you mind me asking what Loeber charged for tires and installation? I am due for service soon and need new rears. Was thinking of having them installed when the car was in provided the dealer mark up wasn't outrageous.
Loeber charged $58 for the front right tire. Not sure how much they would charge for two. It's a bit pricey to be fair and obviously they only will do the OE tires, but that's what you get for premium service I suppose. Car was ready within 2 minutes of me arriving (no idea how they magically pulled my car out the moment I arrived!).

No PCA discount for service or tires.

I do try to do some more "spirited" driving on Sheriden Road from Glencoe to Willmette, but with my Borla exhaust it's a bit loud so I try to keep things civilized. There's also a TON of police out these days, especially at night. Probably due to the recent rash of break-ins. To quote a certain police officer I spoke to, he said there's "An increase of gang-bangers from South Chicago coming to rob houses."
Old 10-29-2016, 11:36 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

By the way, I'm looking for any volunteers to sit in my car to see how this Borla exhaust system sounds. I.e., what's your take on the drone levels, noise levels, if anyone is interested in volunteering
Old 10-30-2016, 09:23 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Loeber charged $58 for the front right tire.
Thanks caymannyc. I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant 580. You definitely pay for some convenience. I'll update when I'm in for service some next month. I'm due for 2 yr service and will inquire about rears. I might hold off till the spring. I don't really drive my 911 much in the winter and there are some new tires coming out shortly that might be worth holding out for (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Continental Extreme Contact Sport).
Old 10-30-2016, 09:31 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMZ
Thanks caymannyc. I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant 580. You definitely pay for some convenience. I'll update when I'm in for service some next month. I'm due for 2 yr service and will inquire about rears. I might hold off till the spring. I don't really drive my 911 much in the winter and there are some new tires coming out shortly that might be worth holding out for (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Continental Extreme Contact Sport).
No, the labor was $58. Tire was $260ish.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM
SMZ
Advanced

No, the labor was $58. Tire was $260ish.
Got it. My bad. Totally fair price for a dealer IMHO.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SMZ
Got it. My bad. Totally fair price for a dealer IMHO.

Sure is. The only real complaint would be no option for other brands of tires, so once the other 3 tires go for me, I'll be stuck with the Goodyear Eagles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chicago Potholes