Notices

Club Racing School at Texas World Speedway Aug 29-30

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:29 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Club Racing School at Texas World Speedway Aug 29-30

Do you want to get into club racing with PCA, NASA or anyone? Do you want a fun weekend at TWS before it closes. The Houston Region of BMWCCA is hosting a HPDE at TWS on August 29-30. The Houston region and BMWCCA Lone Star Region's Bruce Heersink have agreed to do a racing school during the DE. It is $50 more than normal HPDE cost, so it is $350. If you are not a BMWCCA member, you will need to do that as well for $48. Attending this HPDE and being a BMWCCA member will also get you Tier 1 entry into COTA in 2016 which means you get to sign up and get a garage before everybody else. You do not need a race prepped car or a race suit. You can wear the same thing you wear to a DE and drive the same car. You need a tech sheet filled out as usual. While the instructors make it clear that this is not a school that everyone automatically passes, only one guy failed in the last class that a friend of mine attended, and that guy had some weird offs. If you are an advanced solo DE driver, I would have to guess that you should pass unless you really need to be back in intermediate or freak out in close quarters on track or drive like an ***. The instructors are accomplished racers and on track with us and are basically deciding if they would feel safe with you on track with them. Everyone like BMWCCA, PCA, NASA, SCCA, WRL, etc all have their own rules on rookie licenses and the application process. I cannot speak for everyone. You will need to present your experience with your application. The more experience you have to go with this school, the more likely you will get a rookie license. Please PM me if you want to attend, so I can get you a link to the registration page. We have 16 signed up now and would like 20-25 total. My wife and I are both doing it.

Here is some info from a previous school: The BMW CCA Club Racing School is an intensive 2-day course designed to transition the intermediate-to-advanced high-performance driving school driver from high performance driving events to open lapping days and/or club level racing. It is also an excellent school for those students looking for a new experience and who are interested in developing their skills past what can be taught at a regular Driving Event. The club race school focuses on situations inherent to racing and open track lapping as the majority of the on-track sessions will be held with other cars next to, in front of, and behind you at all times. This introduces the students to traffic, passing, and driving lines that they won’t get in the typical high performance driving school. Exercises include driving the entire track for multiple laps both two and three abreast to develop spatial awareness, setting up passes coming into corners at speed and passing while exiting corners which develop off-line competency and confidence, as well as practice race starts and open track sessions which combines all aspects of the learned material. The method of track instruction is unique to the Club Race School in that instructors do not ride along with the students during the on-track sessions. The instructors, who are primarily composed of seasoned racers, observe the students while driving their own cars. This allows the instructor to develop a greater sense of how a student is improving with respect to spatial and situation awareness, different lines, and traffic. The on-track sessions are supported by 4-5 hours of classroom time per day. While the classroom sessions will support the on-track experiences, topics such a car preparation, mental preparation, physical preparation, qualifying, the benefits of practice sessions, car setup, etc. are also presented to the students for discussion. The school is designed as a learning experience and not a speed contest. The emphasis is on driver development, so race-prepared cars are not required and neither are driving suits, racing seats or harnesses. All cars must be inspected prior to the event. A driving school level helmet and a desire to learn and have fun are required. Graduation from the BMW CCA Club Racing School does not automatically qualify you for a BMW CCA Club Racing license, but if you meet the experience and other requirements you will be eligible for a rookie license and the opportunity to join the ranks of BMW CCA Club Racing. Please note that acceptance to the club race school is at the discretion of the registrar and is not guaranteed.

Quick Reply: Club Racing School at Texas World Speedway Aug 29-30