Sponsored by:

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo won't start

New member here. Got a 2008 Cayenne Turbo that has been sitting for 3 years. Was told it ran when parked. Got asked to take a look at it and get it running. Picked it up and had dead battery. Replaced battery and now turns over and everything seems to work but will not start. I pulled coils and a few have intermitant spark but others have nothing. I didn't check fuel pressure but has fuel to the line on firewall. I put 10 gallon of fresh fuel in it also. I have a cheap code reader in the mail to plug in to it so I can read codes. I have read forums of starter issues due to leaking coolant pipes under intake,ignition switch issues, steering column issues, and coil pack issues. I moved coil packs from each cylinder and the coil pack seem to all work on the cylinders that have spark but when I move them to the ones that are dead the working coil packs are dead. Crank sensor? Cam sensors? Would like input to lead me in right direction please. I also have a new starter on the way. I also checked voltage drop when battery is fully charged and voltage drops to around 11 volts when engine is cranking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You starter might be seized. I have 2009 gts. Just had my starter replaced. Even with my new battery, the starter before the replacement, did not want to turn. It is a common problem.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you drain the fuel or add to the 3 year old fuel? Today's ethanol blended fuel goes stale rather quickly. If you have swapped working coil packs to locations of not working coil packs and they are still not working you maybe need to check the wiring harness. Have mice gotten into the car?

"The key problem is that ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. In fact, fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Older gas tanks found in many classic cars vent to the atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank at a rapid pace."
Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 PM
beepbeep59A
1st Gear

Default Cayenne Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Did you drain the fuel or add to the 3 year old fuel? Today's ethanol blended fuel goes stale rather quickly. If you have swapped working coil packs to locations of not working coil packs and they are still not working you maybe need to check the wiring harness. Have mice gotten into the car?

"The key problem is that ethanol absorbs water from the atmosphere. In fact, fuel with 10 percent ethanol absorbs up to 50 times more water than standard gasoline. Older gas tanks found in many classic cars vent to the atmosphere, increasing the likelihood that moisture will be absorbed into the gas tank at a rapid pace."
HI Dan,
Saw that you have an '05 Cayenne T...was just wondering your input on whether I should buy a nice Gen 1 Cayenne T and save some cash for repairs/upgrades, etc...or spend the extra money and get a Gen 2 Cayenne T ('08 or '09)???
Sorry to get off topic...hope Jeannette gets the '08 Cayenne up and running.
Thanks,
BeepBeep59A
Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Anyone will be guessing until your code reader arrives and you have more info. Why didn't you just pick one up at any local auto parts store or even Walmart?

Also, why did you buy a new starter if your original is turning over normally? It's not just the cost of the starter, but do you know what is involved in replacing it?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Ok I will give starter a try. I have one coming should be here Monday. My scan to should be here Monday as well. The engine turns over but maybe not fast enough I'm guessing to get spark. I will post what I find out. Was hoping for something fairly easy to get to like a sensor.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by beepbeep59A
HI Dan,
Saw that you have an '05 Cayenne T...was just wondering your input on whether I should buy a nice Gen 1 Cayenne T and save some cash for repairs/upgrades, etc...or spend the extra money and get a Gen 2 Cayenne T ('08 or '09)???
Sorry to get off topic...hope Jeannette gets the '08 Cayenne up and running.
Thanks,
BeepBeep59A
I don't want hijack this thread so shoot me a email and ill give you some pointers. dan87951 at gmail dot com.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:19 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jaennette93
Ok I will give starter a try. I have one coming should be here Monday. My scan to should be here Monday as well. The engine turns over but maybe not fast enough I'm guessing to get spark. I will post what I find out. Was hoping for something fairly easy to get to like a sensor.
Can you upload a video of the car cranking?
Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

I got new starter assuming the small voltage drop maybe had a effect on not getting any spark. I am new to Porsche and was reading they are very picky with electronics. I checked at my local auto parts store and they didn't have the scan tool in stock so I ordered one. I figured it would be a crap shoot with lout scan tool that's why I got one coming. The person I am working on this for told me coolant lines were updated but starter wasn't so I'm sure that will be the next issue so with starter sitting here I'm sure I won't be out the money either way. Yes I do know intake needs pulled to put starter in.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Yes Dan I am at work now. When I get off work I will run out and take a video and get it uploaded.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Also don't seem to have gotten mice in car. I pulled off all covers. Everything seems good. That's the first thing I checked. I told the gal sitting that ling killed this Porsche. I did just add to the fuel that was in it which wasn't much. Actually I was surprised it didnt smell as bad as I though. When I checked fuel to line at firewall the fuel coming out was good clean fuel and didn't have the nasty bad fuel smell.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Jaennette93
Track Day

Ok so I got the code reader today. Plugged it in and it had every code imaginable in it. From low voltage crank shaft sensor cam sensor fuel pump relay to fuel pump. I cleared the codes and then tried to fire it and still nothing of course. Checked codes again and it came up with a cam sensor bank one code. I then cleared that code and changed the 2 sensors from side to side and still came up with a cam sensor bank one. Could the crank sensor be causing cam sensor bank one to no fire and throw a code?
Old 01-19-2016, 07:43 AM
vchris1987
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The starter seems to be fine, as I can hear it turning normally. Have you ckecked fuel pumps?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Jaennette93
Track Day

have not checked fuel pumps as I am not getting spark. Was trying to fix one problem at a time. It does have fuel at the firewall. Im not saying its the proper pressure but I do have fuel. I pulled the crank position sensor last night and ohmed it out. It checked .867 ohms across pin 1 and 2. Im not sure what the resistance is supposed to be on the cks but im going to research that today. Im getting frustrated with this thing but if the cks is good Im thinking about bringing it to the Porsche dealer to figure it out as the next thing to me is the ecu needs flashed or has a issue. My thoughts were if I had cps code once I switched the 2 sensors around It would have thrown the code on the other side and it didn't. This tells me the signal to the sensor has something wrong that's why I pointed fingers at the cks but I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo won't start