USB charging wiring from fuse box kit / Qi wiresless charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 AM
rting
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB charging wiring from fuse box kit / Qi wiresless charger

Hi,

I am researching to get a hard wiring kit for a switched USB 5 Volts power out with a fuse for my 2004 Cayenne S.

Had enough of the unswitched cigarette lighter adapters.

Also thinking of adding Qi wireless charging inside the arm rest storage - but it will need to have a long wire so I can route the wire from the driver side interior fuse box, etc.

Many thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:56 AM
tuscani66
4th Gear

I've done this recently to my other car and already sourced the parts to do it to the Cayenne - pretty simple to do.

However, on the Cayenne, I'm adding the Qi charging to the area between ashtray and shifter (the blank pad area). Its a perfect width/space for my phone.

Good luck with your project! I hope to have mine done this weekend or soon, did my girlfriend's car 2 weeks ago, she loves it!
Old 01-08-2016, 07:00 AM
rting
Instructor

I was thinking about the same area between the ashtray and the shifter too.

Which piece of hardware did you put under the area?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 AM
tuscani66
4th Gear

I got this:
http://www.mobilesolarchargers.co.uk...-phone-charger

Only .7cm thick! I wrapped mine in CF to match - I'll post pictures soon... eventually.

I bought this for power (5v 2amp Micro USB):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Meter-DC.../172056297400?

I hope this helped. I have the walnut interior but slowly converting it to CF (black pieces and silver pieces, blending to natural silver accent pieces. example: door opener is silver, handle is silver, but wood grain piece across - now its silver CF.)

Anyhow, GL!

Keoni.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 AM
tuscani66
4th Gear

You could also use this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3mm-Ultra-...dWNLniU-b65DlQ

100cm USB cord (but hard cord, no replacement). at 100cm, the length should reach the USB outlet below the passenger side dash by kick area and using a thing cigarette USB power thing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24V-U...4AAOSwLqFV9-QT
Old 06-28-2016, 02:13 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Anyone find quickcharge 2.0 wireless pads?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

My phone battery will still drain using regular wireless charging. I'll have wifi, bluetooth and gps on.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

While it wouldn't be inside of the arm, iOttie makes a very good Qi wireless charging cradle. I've been using them in two vehicles and hope to find a way to make use of it in a Cayenne coming this Fall.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UXS7958/

I don't use the suction mount, just the ball socket on the back of the cradle onto a 17mm ball from Arkon (for Garmin GPS units).
Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Francesco1976
3rd Gear

I dear
i'm Francesco and i've the same problem on my Cayenne 2004. But i've a DIy solution.
Sorry for my english.
- Buy a rear support for the heating rear seats
- inside the electronic regulator, instal a usb port

from the light of rear "air" get the electric signal to a rele'. when you switch on the Light (car) the releè go ON. on the same rele' use the 12 volt from the soket.
Buy a 12v- 5v double usb adapter.
Connect all and soldering to usb plug.

It's to hard to write, than do it

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Francesco1976
from the light of rear "air" get the electric signal to a rele'. when you switch on the Light (car) the releè go ON. on the same rele' use the 12 volt from the soket.
Ah, you're controlling the relay (the orange box) by using the 'rear air' switch. That way the USB sockets are only powered when you have that running. Very clever. I do something similar on my boat for a wi-fi router. I use the 'Overboard Discharge' control circuit. I don't have that feature on the boat. But it seemed appropriate to use a switch with that label to control the router power. Works nicely.

The one addition to consider would be an in-line fuse. Something like one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...dp/B004ZIUJYU/

And use as low a wattage fuse as necessary. Maybe a 3 or 5A fuse. That way if anything goes wrong with the USB connection you won't fry anything else further up the circuits.

Any time you add something to an electrical circuit you want to make sure you're not adding more load to the existing wiring and fuses. If you're taking advantage of an unused circuit then you're likely fine. But if the circuit is controlled by a 5A fuse and might use 3A under normal conditions then you'd be asking for trouble adding more than 1-2A to it. The solution isn't to just add a higher amp fuse, as the circuit's wiring might not be heavy enough to handle the increase. In those situations you're best served going back to the main fuse panel and pulling power straight from there, with an in-line fuse of course.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Francesco1976
3rd Gear

Thanks!
all the current (Ampere) are found from the 12V power (it's just under fuse protect box original). The only signal from "air nozzle" able or disable the orange box (not over 15-20 mAh mAh)
The ampere total coming from cigarette power.
Thanks in advance!

Francesco

Sorry for the gramatical errors.
rele' is relay. sorry.

Quick Reply: USB charging wiring from fuse box kit / Qi wiresless charger