Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 AM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis System Faulty - Suspension failure

Hi there.

2008 CTT - 59.000 Miles

I havenīt had this P!G for a month and I already got my first red msg

I was visiting a client, and when I got back to the car, the front was down (as in no air in the suspension down).

I got into the car hopping that it would go up... instead, the rear went down as well.

Started driving slowly and I had a "Chassis System Faulty" message. I donīt have my Durametric around to read the codes.

When I start the car I can hear the compressor working and air hissing for a short while. No air gets to the suspension.

Any ideas on what this could be, in order to see where to start checking?
Old 02-03-2016, 02:53 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Most likely an air leak, if you're unlucky it't the distributor
Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Thanks Lupo.

I started by checking the Air Compressor, and found that the Brown line is not conected to the compressor. I tried connecting it, but apparently it is either broken or Iīm missing something.

Does this look normal?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The black elbow fitting is part of the compressor ***'y and is mounted to the compressor head. There's also a retaining nut that appears to be missing or is still on the compressor itself. Unfortunately, this fitting is not shown as being available for purchase separately.

Your best bet would be to either try to source this fitting from a Porsche or VW dealer, or find a used air compressor which you can use as a donor for parts.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Thanks Andy.

I ended up tracing the brown line and it is the one that goes to the tire inflation system, therefore, I just plugged the hole in the compressor, while I get a new one.

Suspension is working for now.

Any recommend place to get the new compressor?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

My battle with the air suspension continues:

As mentioned in the initial post, everything started with the brown air line braking from the base of the air compressor.

I plugged the hole with a screw, and drove the car for a couple days, but the compressor started knocking. My guess was a that the piston ring in the compressor had been damaged due to the excessive use while the brown air line was broken.

I installed the Air Suspension Pump Repair Kit from ECS (it replaces the upper part of the compressor and piston ring) and the brown air line.

I thought that everything was fine. No error message in the Durametric, suspension would go up and down just fine, however, I could hear the compressor working for several minutes after parking the car. I decided to order a new temp sensor for the compressor (Durametric said that it was shorted to ground).

Installed new temp sensor and Durametric showed no error messages. The compressor kept working for several minutes after stopping the car.

Today, it blew the new brown hose again.

It seems that the compressor just keeps working and working until something brakes.

Can someone tell me where the air pressure sensor is? Is it part of the compressor?

What else can be causing this?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:40 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a suspension system schematic for a 2006 Cayenne. See the magnet block valves in the upper right corner. The 3 wires- P ground, P signal and P VCC are related to pressure. All 3 connect to the ride height control module, on another page.

Try reseating the connector otherwise replace the valve block, about $200.

I troubleshoot faults using schematic diagrams for a living. Not surprising that its time consuming to resolve electrical issues. The vehicle wiring diagram consists of 270+ pages...a nightmare to trace IMO.

Last edited by v10rick; 03-06-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Got the car back and running.

The culprit was the relay , it will activate when the suspension control module sent the signal, but it would not release after that, which made the compressor run until something gave in....

A bad relay ended up costing me:

- 1 rubber seal and Piston ring kit
- 1 Upper compressor kit
- Complete new compressor

Curiously, the new compressor had a different fitting for the main hose than the original one; thankfully I already had the upper compressor kit on hand, and made it work with a mix and match of parts.

Thanks Andy and Rick for you help.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Terrific!
Where exactly is that relay located?

Yes it cost you some unnecessary parts but without a P dealer or Indy shop labor charge consider what you saved.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:27 PM
Agustin AC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v10rick
Terrific!
Where exactly is that relay located?

Yes it cost you some unnecessary parts but without a P dealer or Indy shop labor charge consider what you saved.
Itīs located in a fuse holder under the dash, on the right from the steering column (some Yoga moves required to get this done).

Definitely worth the effort, specially that I ended up learning how the suspension works
Old 11-07-2016, 02:50 AM
sam.
8th Gear

Default Hi

Hello ,,
I have the same exact problem as you can you please tell me wich one is the relay i need to change i removed the driver side front dash but couldnt know where is the relay i should change ?

Last edited by sam.; 11-07-2016 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:16 AM
sam.
8th Gear

and How did u get the relay holder down ?! thanks
Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 AM
sam.
8th Gear

HeeeLLLOooo any one here
Old 11-09-2016, 09:36 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sam.
HeeeLLLOooo any one here
Often posters are here for solutions then when/if the issue is fixed they are never heard from again, or until their next problem.

Unfortunately the wiring diagram does not show the position of the relay in the mounting bracket.

In your picture there appears to be a red wire with a (yellow or white) tracer leading to the right relay. If correct the right relay is the one to replace.

I never had to replace one so I cannot comment on unlocking.

If all else falls pay a P dealer to swap out the relay.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-09-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:47 PM
sam.
8th Gear

thanks for your reply ,, i did remove the relays and put them back but the compressor didnt stop working so now am a get a new one its like 700 $ here but am afraid that the new one will burn too if i dont change the relay ?!

Quick Reply: Chassis System Faulty - Suspension failure