Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about this Boxster S - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 PM
Emfren
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about this Boxster S - Advice?

Hi all, new to the forum.

I am looking at a 2003 Boxster S, 73,000 kms (45k mi), $22,800 CAD

From the ad, it seems to be well taken care of.

PSM, xenon headlights, crested headrests, heated seats, upgraded Bose stereo, wind deflector, 18" wheels, oem rubber mats and car cover. Child deactivation bar with child occupancy switch turned on. Never winter driven and accident free. Everything works. Originally new from Pfaff Woodbridge. 3rd owner, previous owner bought from Pfaff as certified pre-owned with warranty in 2009. New clutch, LN IMS bearing and rear main seal done last summer by G-Tek. About 3,000kms ago. New ignition coils and rear inner and outer boots installed in 2015. Annually service by G-Tek. Can provide history from Pfaff and previous UVIP. Passed e-test last year. Never winter driven.

Any thoughts?

The ad is here: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Last edited by Emfren; 03-23-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Edit to Canadian Dollars
Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The price is very high. Very nice car.

But do you have a service history? Did you have a PPI done? Is there a warranty on it?

It would have to be a 10+++ to justify that price.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Emfren
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Anker
The price is very high. Very nice car.

But do you have a service history? Did you have a PPI done? Is there a warranty on it?

It would have to be a 10+++ to justify that price.
Reminder this is in canadian dollars (roughly 17k USD).

Full service history from Pfaff up until IMS, RMS and new clutch 3000km ago. Been in garage since. There won't be warranty.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just as a data point. My almost immaculate 2004 S with 104K miles. Pretty well optioned, not quite up to this level, but with TuneRS DOF IMS and 60 day warranty at US $ 14.500. US $2K more and no warranty seems expensive.

I would recommend having a thorough PPI done in the absence of a warranty. Not trying to dissuade you, it may be a fantastic buy.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 PM
Emfren
3rd Gear

Just as a data point. My almost immaculate 2004 S with 104K miles. Pretty well optioned, not quite up to this level, but with TuneRS DOF IMS and 60 day warranty at US $ 14.500. US $2K more and no warranty seems expensive.

I would recommend having a thorough PPI done in the absence of a warranty. Not trying to dissuade you, it may be a fantastic buy.
Thanks - yes I will have a PPI done if I like the car. I am seeing it on Saturday. It's a private purchase so don't think warranty is in the cards, unfortunately.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

As a fellow Canadian in the GTA I can agree the price is a bit high but not as bad as it sounds to the folks south of the border. G-Tek is a top notch service location so anything they've done should be fine. This car is a long way off from the mileage Anker had and seems to justify the price differential imo.
A good PPI result and it seems like something to work with, maybe you can negotiate a little on the price.
Good luck!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Very low miles but the IMS has been done which is a bonus. I bought my 03 S with 45K Miles in 2014 but the IMS hadn't been done. I have subsequently done it along with the clutch at about 50K miles and I'm loving it.

I know 22,800 CDN sounds like a lot but with the work that has been done (~4,500 CDN) and the obviously well maintained condition this could be a very good deal. The current owner should not balk at you getting a PPI.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:24 AM
507fan
Track Day

+1 on the PPI. I didn't and will forever regret it.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 PM
pomerlo
2nd Gear

The rear end starting at the quarter panel seem to be repainted. The right door and rear fender color does not match ......

Just saying......
Old 03-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Emfren
Hi all, new to the forum.

I am looking at a 2003 Boxster S, 73,000 kms (45k mi), $22,800 CAD

From the ad, it seems to be well taken care of.

PSM, xenon headlights, crested headrests, heated seats, upgraded Bose stereo, wind deflector, 18" wheels, oem rubber mats and car cover. Child deactivation bar with child occupancy switch turned on. Never winter driven and accident free. Everything works. Originally new from Pfaff Woodbridge. 3rd owner, previous owner bought from Pfaff as certified pre-owned with warranty in 2009. New clutch, LN IMS bearing and rear main seal done last summer by G-Tek. About 3,000kms ago. New ignition coils and rear inner and outer boots installed in 2015. Annually service by G-Tek. Can provide history from Pfaff and previous UVIP. Passed e-test last year. Never winter driven.

Any thoughts?

The ad is here: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Looks good to me, if you can see records of what has been done. If it drives nice a oil change with sump off inspection might be all I need.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by pomerlo
The rear end starting at the quarter panel seem to be repainted. The right door and rear fender color does not match ......

Just saying......
Hopefully just the lighting.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

That the IMS has been done is nice but what was the reason for it being done? Preventative or forced by a problem?

I would expect to pay about $13k US for that car. But all prices are local and just someone's opinion (especially the sellers).

Nice year, nice options, nice records.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:59 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Passenger rear fender does not match the passenger door, top cover panel, trunk panel, or rear bumper. This is in multiple pictures with different lighting. I'd bet money it's been repainted.

I would also be willing to bet that the Boxster Red interior panels don't match. There's just a little visible mismatch in the pictures and I suspect it's much worse in the pictures. For whatever reason the red leather, carpet, and vinyl tend to fade at different rates.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:29 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Carfax will probably show an accident requiring more than one panel being repainted. Even my wife can see the colour difference in the Pics . Wheels are nice though.
Keep in mind when comparing to US prices the Canadian govt gets 13% tax at the border and since it was built in Finland it doesn,t come in under NAFTA so add 6% duty. A Canadian originating car will be worth a little more on an eventual trade or resale since dealers here always beat you up about a US car.
I have a 2001 Boxster S with m030 ,new Bilstein sports ,tires and brakes.about 62000 mi and also a new clutch and LN IMS brg. It has had the drivers door touched up and a scratch on the pass door I think its worth about $15-16 Cdn.

Last edited by johnsjmc; 04-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:02 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

yours also has more than twice the miles as his.

Regardless, if you're not a potential buyer why are you coming into his thread and crapping all over his price?

Whats most amazing to me is how much cheaper a Boxster S is than a S2000. Boxster cost way more upfront and it's probably around half the price now and it's the better car.

Quick Reply: Thinking about this Boxster S - Advice?