Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does one go about titling an abandon tow vehicle with no title?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:47 AM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How does one go about titling an abandon tow vehicle with no title?

"For Sale 1998 Porsche Boxster. The vehicle is an abandon tow selling as is. The purchase comes with a bill of sale. No keys, no title. From what I can tell the car needs a new timing/serpentine belt, battery, etc. Any questions feel free to ask. Asking 1400 OBO"

Here is the posting:
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...534397567.html

In DC I'd go to the DMV, they ask me for a title, I don't have a title, they tell me to come back when I get one ... how would I go about obtaining the title?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 AM
Geof3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends state to state. You would need to talk to someone there and see what the steps are to doing a retitle, if even possible. Have you tried to search the vin? Might be a salvage...

A tougher part is the key factor. The Boxster key/immobilizer/ecu is completely tied together and coded basically as a single unit based on the vin. Unless you are building a race car (title not nec either) getting a functional key will be pretty expensive right off the bat.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

I see keys and immobilizers on eBay for about $400. The plate shows NC. I'd contact them.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:03 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Being that you are in the swamp, I am sure there is a thick book of regulations you can wade through to get it re titled. Here in deplorable land it involves posting a bond, advertising, and a waiting period.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Just spitballing but suggest get the VIN and run a Carfax to learn what you can. be sure it wasn't stolen. Talk to the seller to understand how he has possession and what form the bill of sale will take. Check the last registered state, looks like NC, on process for getting a title there. May be easier to resolve there before registering in your state. See if their DMV or equivalent has a web site.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:00 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Search for International Title Service. They'll generate a registration that can be used to get a title. I've done it once back in the 90's and it worked fine. NH or VT doesn't issue titles, so they get registrations there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does one go about titling an abandon tow vehicle with no title?