Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad head gasket, 99 boxster- what should I do?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
maximaa
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad head gasket, 99 boxster- what should I do?

Hey all,

I have a 99 porsche boxster that recently blew a head gasket. I don't have the money or time to replace/rebuild the engine.

It runs, but also all of the brakes need replacing (pads & rotors).

Otherwise the car is in great condition, I took care of it.

What is my best course of action here? I've never sold a car before (or scrapped/donated one either). I'm hoping to get a couple grand out of it for parts, but have no idea what it's worth and to whom.

Any advice is much appreciated, especially how much $ I should ask for it.

(in san francisco, fyi)

Last edited by maximaa; 03-06-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

You probably have a cracked head, not a head gasket, but either way, the cost to repair isn't that different.

What do you want to do? Do you want to keep the car? If not, you can likely get a few grand for parts if you have the ability to part it out.

Core engine will likely go for $500
Tranny $500
Seats $500 (if nice)
Top $300 if not ripped
Wheels $300

Depending on mileage, the car isn't worth much more than $5k running anyway, so this is not the end of the world.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:52 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Location?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:37 PM
maximaa
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You probably have a cracked head, not a head gasket, but either way, the cost to repair isn't that different.

What do you want to do? Do you want to keep the car? If not, you can likely get a few grand for parts if you have the ability to part it out.

Core engine will likely go for $500
Tranny $500
Seats $500 (if nice)
Top $300 if not ripped
Wheels $300

Depending on mileage, the car isn't worth much more than $5k running anyway, so this is not the end of the world.
Mileage is good, around 90k but that doesn't mean much with an engine that needs to be replaced. I don't have any spare $$ to fix it, so I'd like to get rid of it as easily as possible.

If by "part it out" you mean take it apart myself to sell piece by piece, I don't have the ability to do that... not personally. Does that leave my options as either sell it to a dealer or a person?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Offer it as a "Roller" to the Spec Boxster guys on 986 Forum?
Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you 100% sure it is a cracked head or head gasket? Has it been diagnosed by a reputable M96 engine mechanic? I'm just curious what the symptoms and evidence are.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:32 PM
maximaa
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by paulofto
Are you 100% sure it is a cracked head or head gasket? Has it been diagnosed by a reputable M96 engine mechanic? I'm just curious what the symptoms and evidence are.
Pretty sure... the mechanic seemed a bit inexperienced with boxsters but the oil is milky and the exhaust smells like coolant.

I was told this is pretty overwhelming evidence. Am I wrong?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Well the exhaust smelling like coolant is a bad sign but I would still have the oil cooler checked out before writing off the whole engine. Many threads here and on 986Forum.com covering this issue with some results being something as simple as bad orings in the oil cooler.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by maximaa
Hey all,

I have a 99 porsche boxster that recently blew a head gasket. I don't have the money or time to replace/rebuild the engine.

It runs, but also all of the brakes need replacing (pads & rotors).

Otherwise the car is in great condition, I took care of it.

What is my best course of action here? I've never sold a car before (or scrapped/donated one either). I'm hoping to get a couple grand out of it for parts, but have no idea what it's worth and to whom.

Any advice is much appreciated, especially how much $ I should ask for it.

(in san francisco, fyi)
Paullofto brings up a good point.

But if you decide you want to sell vs. get a high confidence diagnosis and possibly repair, my advise then is to contact Oklahoma Foreign and find out what it will offer you for the car.

Closer to you is Parts Heaven in Hayward CA. Give Parts Heaven a call and see if it is interested in the car.

If either Oklahoma Foreign or Parts Heaven are not interested ask if they can suggest another company that might be interested in your Boxster as is where is.

It has been a couple of years since I dipped a toe in these waters but Boxster rollers at that time could bring a few thousand dollars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad head gasket, 99 boxster- what should I do?