Engine Noise 2002 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:07 PM
fueljeta
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Noise 2002 Boxster S

SOLVED: see posts below.

I developed this engine noise over the last few hundred miles. I thought it was a cover rattling around at first bc it only does this at idle.
But it certainly sounds like it's coming from the valve train now.
Any help would be appreciated. My Porsche guy says it's probably timing chain tensioners, but I really have no idea.

EDIT: I did a fresh oil change to look for filings or debris. I found absolutely clean oil and filter. (The oil had 500 miles on it.)

Thanks!

Please say it's nothing serious.

Last edited by fueljeta; 03-01-2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: SOLVED
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The diagnosis for this has been covered many times in Search.
"My Porsche guy says it's probably timing chain tensioners, but I really have no idea." Neither does he until he listens with an Engine Ear(Search) & until he drops the sump plate. That is where the chain ramp debris and other clues will be. What did the inside of the filter loo like ? Post photos of all. Without this info it is just WAG comments.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:45 PM
fueljeta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The diagnosis for this has been covered many times in Search.
"My Porsche guy says it's probably timing chain tensioners, but I really have no idea." Neither does he until he listens with an Engine Ear(Search) & until he drops the sump plate. That is where the chain ramp debris and other clues will be. What did the inside of the filter loo like ? Post photos of all. Without this info it is just WAG comments.
I have my own ear (tech stethoscope) and zero'd in on the PS pump. Turns out, it's a failing PS pump.
I also have my own microscope and looked for ANYTHING in the filter and only found a few tiny drops of water and lint...and lots of clean oil.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad it is so simple.There are other related diagnostics to do while replacing the p/s pump but you and your ear know that.
Unsubscribed.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:57 PM
fueljeta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Glad it is so simple.There are other related diagnostics to do while replacing the p/s pump but you and your ear know that.
Unsubscribed.
Wow. I hope being an *** to people looking for input makes you feel better about yourself. Have a great day.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:05 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fueljeta
Wow. I hope being an *** to people looking for input makes you feel better about yourself. Have a great day.
dude .......he has more porsche experience just leaning on his cars that you will ever have driving your car.you and your mechanic have about 60 watts of brightness
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 PM
fueljeta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by extanker
dude .......he has more porsche experience just leaning on his cars that you will ever have driving your car.you and your mechanic have about 60 watts of brightness
Maybe. I'm a long time racer in Mercedes Benz products. This is my first Porsche...so he's experienced? Yeah? I'm sure, but that makes no difference if you're d-bag.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it shows princess
Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 PM
fueljeta
5th Gear

Originally Posted by extanker
it shows princess
Sure does.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Glad you were able to identify the source of the noise.

FWIW, power steering pump can fail because a high pressure relief/bypass valve fails and as a result the power steering fluid pressure is too high. This will force fluid out through the rack seals but the dust boots capture the fluid.

So the first inkling there's a problem -- unless the owner spots a low power steering fluid level and then checks the dust boots for fluid build up -- is the power steering pump makes noise.

By this time not only is the power steering pump probably shot -- from running low on fluid -- but the rack is shot too. The power steering pump, the rack, and at least the line that has the failed valve all need to replaced. The remaining lines (or just line) must be flushed to remove any metal debris that the failing pump may have shed.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise 2002 Boxster S