Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery replacement question

Old 02-22-2017, 01:33 AM
jonesdds
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery replacement question

Read something about an inexpensive device that allows replacement of battery with fully losing power that would then not require resetting of various systems. Batteriesplus.com was a source but I couldn't find such a device. What exactly is this and can it be found at auto parts stores.

2007 Boxster S
Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC, the only thing that would need resetting is the radio. Everything else should be OK
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 PM
jonesdds
Rennlist Member

I'd heard PSM may have to be reset as well as power windows.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The device pugs into the cigarette lighter socket.You can achieve the same with jumper leads - careful!! Or get a battery with installation included. Whatever, make sure you know the security code for your radio . Ask in a separate Post for this or Search
Old 02-22-2017, 01:11 PM
jonesdds
Rennlist Member

Radios aftermarket so assume no issues there. See a device made by Schwaben that plugs into computer port with a 9V battery attached on searching. Wondering if attachment my battery tender to the pos and negative wires will accomplish the same.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes but follow the Instructions with the Battery Tender and remeber the battery cables will be live if the Battery Tender is connected .
Old 02-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesdds
I'd heard PSM may have to be reset as well as power windows.
Should be a section in the owners manual that covers what is necessary before and after a battery change.

Earlier models (1997 - 2000) needed to have radio and PCM codes handy to enter after battery replacement.

The owners manual mentioned above should cover this but based on my info all you would need to do it perform an E-Gas calibration.

At least 60 seconds igniiton on then at least 10 seconds ignition off. Keep your foot off the gas pedel during this time.

Window limits reset. Push and hold lower button until window all the way down. Release lower button then press and hold raise button and continue to hold until at least 5 seconds after window all the way up. Repeat for other window.

The steering wheel angle sensor may have a warning/error message on the dash but the techs tell me this will go away on its own with a bit of driving.

The trip odometer, trip computer, clock may reset. Instructions on how to set clock time are in the owners manual.

If you are quick and possibly lucky you may not need to do anything. I've changed the battery -- not fully dead just too weak to start the engine -- in my 2003 Turbo and none of the settings were lost.

I had the new battery right handy and as soon as I got the old battery disconnected picked it up and set it to one side then grabbed the new battery and put it in the tray and connected the leads then bolted the battery down and after tidying up found the odometer, trip computer and clock and radio stationi presents unaffected.

Key was *off* and *removed*. No other electrical loads were on. Doors closed. Just the front trunk lid open and I didn't even bother to disconnect the light in the trunk.

Just to be safe though I reset the window limits and calibrated the E-Gas. The steering wheel angle sensor warning was not even present.

The DME will possibly lose any error codes but if the CEL is on read (and write down) these *before* you disconnect the battery.

The DME can lose its adaptations but will relearn these as you drive. Ditto the Tip controller if you have a Tip equipped car.

Might need to locate the car with a panoramic view of the sky with the PCM active to for 20 minutes to restore its almanac.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery replacement question